Faltered

Faltered

A Story by Stacie Dayton
"

This is very short and goes quickly to the point. I will probably edit it in time but I just wanted to get it all out while it was in my brain.

"
GROWING UP WE ARE TAUGHT TO BELIEVE THAT OUR PARENTS ARE THE ONES WHO WILL INEVITABLY SAVE US. THAT FAMILY IS THE ONLY BOND THAT WE TRULY HAVE WHEN ALL ELSE GOES AWRY. OUR BLOOD BUILDS AN INDESTRUCTIBLE FOUNDATION THAT NO ONE WILL EVER EXPECT TO CRUMBLE. AFTER ALL, AREN’T WE ALL CONCEIVED IN LOVE?

Daddy always said that our family was special. That him and mommy had the best type of love. They would live and die for one another and do everything to protect me. They got half of that right. Mommy died. I don’t know much about it, only that it happened. Ever since daddy just drives us around from town to town living as best we can til resources run out then we move along to the next town. It feels like being on the run, except daddy never did anything illegal. Mommy took her own life. Her and daddy just fought and fought til she picked up the gun. That was it. I always imagined daddy would’ve been like Romeo, so distraught that he would repeat the event just to spend his eternity with his Juliet. He very well might have, if I wasn’t the burden produced from him. But now I sit here, watching the barren hills sweep past the window as daddy drives along to a new destination. His last job was a temp just like all the others before and when the time for its need stopped, we hit the road again. I'm sure this life isn't normal for a girl of fourteen but it is what it is. I would hope to go to school. Make friends. Meet a handsome boy to take me to prom and show me off to his friends. But I'm never around long enough.

   'Oak Hills' the sign reads as we turn up a long dirt drive. Daddy never said we were going to anyplace particular so seeing the parade of trees directing us to an estate bigger than my tiny mind could imagine was nothing short of puzzling. How did he get work here? My mind was buzzing with questions but my tongue couldn't cooperate. When we finally reached the parking area I felt all but ashamed of stepping out of a beat up old truck. The structure was massive and the stairs made me feel like a princess going to a ball, even though I was in nothing more than a pair of shorts barely covered by a long shirt and sneaker. My hair has been thrown back quickly in a shabby braid during our way up the driveway. Daddy knocked on the door. I couldn't hear it over my own heart. The woman that answered was probably old enough to be my grandmother. She gave no introduction but turned and walked away from the door assuming we were following. We did of course. It was like daddy already knew what he was doing. I knew he had been having many conversations lately from the payphone at the gas station we slept in the truck at a few nights ago but he never told me about any of it which for him wasn't usual.
  I was too busy staring at the architecture to acknowledge any of the conversation. I heard words like reform school and payment arrangements. That caught my attention. I stopped in my tracks and waited for an explanation. The woman repeated that I was being placed in a reform school due to spending too many years in an uncivilized life style. I was being dropped off. Daddy grabbed my arm to make me finish the tour. I was given a room that was private. My only bag was placed on the floor and the ripped open. Nothing I had was acceptable here and I watched as it all was thrown away. I was given a uniform of a blue plaid skirt, brown shirt, navy blazer, white knee highs and black boots. I was a student now and this was all I was to wear aside from the provided sleepwear. I was too in shock to move or say anything. I felt the heat of my tears as I watched daddy pull away in his truck. Not even given an explanation why.

  Weeks passed. I met the other girls. Former addicts, runaways, delinquents. I didn't belong here. There was a blonde who I became close with. She was sent here for being involved in prostitution voluntarily. She just wanted sex. She laughed whenever my innocence came up. Over months some of the girls left and others came. I was always known as the one who was just unwanted. The blonde made me feel wanted. She would come see me late at night. We'd sit and talk. She'd tell me the stories of all she had done and was intrigued by my curiosity. We grew closer. We did things we both knew we shouldn't. By the time the year had ended we were the secret lovers. We risked expulsion and homelessness. Because of her I learned what love was. After two years we decided to run. She slept with others to make money for us to have food and shelter. II would always watch. I was envious that others had my love. She had left after coming to me about the child she carried. Everyone leaves.

I am too broken. As time went on I became her. I slept around. I did what ever I had to for money. I eventually found daddy and his replacement family. They were so beautiful. Daddy was happy. But I know he was even happier when I reunited him with his Juliet.

No one expects the blood bond to falter. But sometimes pain and revenge create and even deeper bloodline.

© 2011 Stacie Dayton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Love your story, very moving and well written.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 11, 2011
Last Updated on September 11, 2011