Chapter #3 - Trouble In Paradise

Chapter #3 - Trouble In Paradise

A Chapter by Bryanna - QueenStephni

Morning broke to find the trio asleep and safe in bed. The nice elderly woman awoke them near the middle of the day with some healing supplies and fresh food to take with them.

“Wake up dears its time for you all to be on the move.” She said as she woke Demascus then turned to the bed with Alexandria and Mathieu in it. Demascus lifted his head and looked at his to comrades. Mathieu pulled the blankets off then tried to awaken Alexandria to no avail.

“Demascus, could you come here a moment?” Mathieu asked as Demascus got up and walked over to the others. Mathieu asked Demascus to lift Alexandria up so that he could get up and then he would take a look at her.

Mathieu could see no obvious wound or any magical wounds either.  Shaking his head, he looked at the elderly lady.

“I am wondering madam, if any one has spooked you into kicking us out?” Mathieu asked. The lady nodded.

“May I know who?” Mathieu asked as he moved away slightly from Alexandria. Demascus took Mathieu’s spot at Alexandria’s side.

“It’s the new government. They randomly search houses in this area and are in the houses up the road. I must not let them see you ‘cause of what you all are.” She answered. Demascus looked shocked.

“Is it known that we have magical abilities or are we known as normal children? If nobody knows then we can pretend to be normal or you can feign ignorance. If they believe that you didn’t know than they can’t blame you, right?” Demascus said. The lady nodded again.

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. Please tell me your names so that it at least looks like you are staying for a while. My name is Isabelle.” Isabelle said openly. Mathieu nodded agreement.

“I am Mathieu, the other guy is Demascus and the young girl is Alexandria. We are all glad to meet you.” Mathieu said. Isabelle nodded. They all heard a loud knock on the door to the house.

“Coming!” Isabelle called.

“You all have been here three days and are only remaining until your friend is recovered. Okay?” Isabelle asked. Both boys nodded. Isabelle wondered away to answer the door.

 Demascus face was a mask of worry as he looked into the unconscious Alexandria’s face. He could see Alexandria's eyes were moving but she was nowhere near awakening.

 They could a gruff voice in the other room as Isabelle told the nice government officers that she three children staying in the house with her. As the voices got closer they could hear the officers getting a bit suspicious about what three children were doing wondering around alone. They heard Isabelle’s answer of that she didn’t know why. She only gave them shelter because of Alexandria's illness. The voices were just outside when they heard a loud ‘really’ from a gruff male voice.

The door opened, leaving Demascus and Mathieu looked at the well build, 6foot 9inch tall officer that walked through.

“Hello boys. I heard that Ms Isabelle here is being generous and giving you and your unwell friend there free accommodation. Is that right?” he asked, looking at Demascus, as if thinking that Demascus was the eldest of the three.

“Yes sir but we were about to offer our assistance since we have no money to help pay any of the food purchases. So we thought we would help out where ever Isabelle needs help.” Mathieu answered. The officer’s head turned to look at Mathieu. Giving Mathieu a weird look the officer turned to Isabelle and said.

“Is there any reason for these children to really stay with you, Ms Isabelle or would you like the government to take them into our custody and place them in good homes?” Isabelle thought for a moment. Then shook her head.

“No. I really need the help. Winter is soon going to be upon us and I have barely any firewood. The two boys would be more useful here with me than placed in a foster home and the girl, Alexandria, shouldn’t be moved until she’s well. So I wish to keep the children here with me. Anyway I think that Mathieu is too old for foster care.” Isabelle answered. Mathieu nodded.

“Really now young man, how old are you?” he asked.

“I am 19 years old and am the carer of Demascus and Alexandria so you couldn’t take them anywhere. I’m sorry but I believe that Demascus and I have things to do for Ms Isabelle here.” Mathieu said as he turned away. The gruff officer grabbed Mathieu and turned him roughly to face him.

“Listen here boy. Nobody talks to us officers like that. So watch yourself because some ain’t as nice as me.” And with that he turned and walked from the house. Isabelle looked surprised than hugged Mathieu, saying that nobody was brave enough to do something like that around Julian.

Mathieu looked shocked than hugged her back.

“What can we do to help you around here?” Mathieu asked as he walked over to Alexandria and Demascus.

“Umm, let me think, how about the firewood out back that needs to be chopped and stacked closer to the house. That would be nice and one of you gathering some fresh vegetables from my garden would also be appreciated. If you could too, bring some water in from the well I would appreciate it as well.” Isabelle said as she checked Alexandria’s temperature. Taking her hand back she walked to the kitchen and poured a cool bowl of water and brought it and a cloth back into the room. Isabelle wet the cloth and placed it on Alexandria’s forehead.

“We’ll leave her in your care while we do the chores for you.” Demascus said as Mathieu and he walked out of the house. 

Doing what was asked of them they returned and saw that Isabelle was asleep in her chair.

“Is it me or do you think we may have a place to stay for the winter?” Demascus asked Mathieu as Mathieu placed some logs in the hearth and lit them cautiously. Nodding he turned and looked out the window to see a small spick of rain fall to the ground.

“D****t. We might need to move the firewood and quickly. I think it’s about to rain.” Turning Demascus could see some of the rain in the distance.

“Yup let’s do it now before it hits and we get soaked.” Moving towards the door they heard the first growl of thunder. Sighing they moved quickly and moved plenty into the house and the rest under some cover, which Demascus made from stuff he found.

Back inside. Alexandria had awoken and moved into the lounge room. Seeing Isabelle asleep in her chair she silently moved to the fire and sat in front of it. Looking around she saw that Isabelle had a wonderful home. Like something she used to live in. Sighing she felt her stomach growl. ‘Damn I’m hungry.’ She thought before trying to summon food. Saying the ancient words she envisioned an apple. Looking at her hands with disbelief, she saw nothing. Absolutely nothing.  Thinking that maybe her angel powers were playing a trick she tried again but to no avail. Before she could do anything else the two boys entered. Looking at them, she saw two normal boys slightly wet from the rain outside. Standing up she ran to Demascus and hugged him before he even had time to realize that she was awake.

“Alexandria… you’re awake.” Mathieu said stunned. Nodding from next to Demascus she couldn’t believe that they looked so normal. She couldn’t see their demon aura.

“Could we talk in the other room please?” She asked in a weaker but still cute voice. Looking at her, Demascus couldn’t say no. She was to him a little sister even if she didn’t want to be. He would defend Alexandria with every ounce of breathe left in his body.

“Okay. Let’s go talk then.” Mathieu answered. Walking into the room where they were staying in.

“What’s wrong, Alexandria? What’s bothering you?” Demascus asked as he sat down on one of the beds.

“Um… I don’t know how to um say this but I can’t use my angel powers any more. I tried and I can’t. I can’t see either of your demon auras either. I’m really scared and I don’t know what to do.” She answered as she let the small tears escape her eyes. Mathieu thought it over as Demascus comforted her. Hearing a noise from the lounge room he made a slight sign before Isabelle entered.

“Oh, good to see that you’re awake my dear. Are you hungry?” Isabelle asked in a soothing voice. Nodding Alexandria got up and gave Isabelle a hug.

“Oh thank you dear. What was that for, may I ask?” she asked looking down at Alexandria.

“ Because you were so nice to bring us in and not let the scary people, as Demascus and Mathieu called them, take us away and thanks for looking after me while they did some chores for you. Thank you so much. I may not be too much use around the house while I’m sick but when I’m better I will help out where and when I can. I promise.” Alexandria answered softly. Isabelle hugged her back then checked her temperature. Nodding, Isabelle walked to the kitchen and started to cook, leaving the three kids in the room.

“So, we need to figure out what’s wrong and how to fix it.” Demascus said.

“Yes well, it seems weird that Alexandria heard everything but showed no signs of even being semi-conscious. How did you know? How did you hear everything but still be unconscious? Tell us Alexandria, tell us now!” Mathieu asked in a low but angry voice. Alexandria slowly moved away from him before answering.

“I don’t know how but I know that I’ve always been able and have never been without my powers. I’m so scared and you are making it worst Mathieu. Please stop scaring me.” Alexandria said with silent tears falling down her cheeks. Mathieu looked at her with a small glint of demonic energy flowing through his eyes. He figured that if maybe he could get away with using a small amount of energy around Isabelle, that maybe he could use his energy to kick start Alexandria’s again. He knew that he would scare the crap out of her but it was for her own good but it would only work if Demascus would stand aside and not shelter her.


© 2010 Bryanna - QueenStephni


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
Added on February 9, 2010
Last Updated on February 9, 2010