Wealdenmynd Chapter 4 Condant

Wealdenmynd Chapter 4 Condant

A Chapter by Stevious
"

Its graduation and a big suprise for our heroine

"

- Chapter Four -

 

Condant

 

The next few weeks were difficult for the three girls. Reaccas parents’ initial anger soon turned to a mixture of pride and greed. It took them less than a day to turn the events from the carnival to their financial advantage. Sombany and Talin ran an expensive fashion shop on the River Broadway that ran along the water on the outskirts of the business district of Dounaton. Even before opening the next day, they had put pictures of Reacca up in the shop window with the words ‘Town Hero’ underneath. By the end of the week they had employed a local photogrammer to take pictures of her modelling their latest outfits and even some new ones her mother had created under the title ‘Heroic clothes for a heroic town’.

 

Kaytee's parents, both worried about the reputation of the school, were beside themselves. It was over a week before Searah heard anything from her and when she did, it was so fleeting that it took her a few seconds to realise it was Kaytee shouting at her from across the street. The two cleaners who worked at her parents school had been given the month off on full pay and Kaytee had been sent in, mop and bucket in hand, to start the ritualistic cleaning the happened every school holiday. By the time Searah had managed to steal even a five minute conversation with her, Kaytee had already cleaned the great hall from top to bottom; swept the chimneys in the science rooms; cleaned the staff toilets and, much to her disgust, started work on the boys changing rooms. The punishment was harsh, but soon the tasks became less strenuous as the cleaners came back to work giving her both company and freed up her time for more interesting jobs. Each year the seven classes that served as each years groups base was redecorated. Kaytee designed artwork to go on the walls, helped the school handyman, Taylen to build new paper slots and draws for students to keep their work in and helped carve the names of the students moving into each year onto the new class plaques.

 

Slowly the classrooms started to take shape, each with a different theme, all artfully crafted by Kaytee and Taylen. It wasn’t until a month later, when her exam results were announced in front of her whole family, that Kaytee was finally released from her servitude.

 

It was only Searah that had any real idea of the effect their fight had had on the town. True to form, her mother had not let the issue drop, insisting that it was the most irresponsible thing she had ever seen and that Searah would be being punished until her own children were old. She had been confined to her room for the first week with no-one but Tibby the cat and her own spirits for company. Over the week her room collected plates, cups and cutlery until her father was forced to fight against the sea of clothes and books to retrieve them.

 

It was her father that made the situation more bearable for Searah. Although he kept stubbornly silent during her mothers frequent rants, while they were alone he was openly proud of his daughter and they spent hours talking over the fight, describing it to each other blow by blow until there was nothing left to talk about.

 

Searah had decided not to tell anyone about what she had imagined the Gladiator had done to Reacca. She didn’t see the point, she told herself, she’d just been thrown across the floor and had hit her head, it was a miracle she hadn’t seen tiny pink men in green leg warmers attach Reacca. It was a natural thing to think. She’d hit her head, she knew her friend was in trouble and had naturally assumed the worse. These thoughts however, didn’t stop her replaying the images as if flicking through old photograms every time she settled down for bed.

 

After a week her mother grew tired of having Searah sat around not doing anything and decided that she needed to ‘learn some responsibility’. And so after a long speech about how she needed to learn to look after herself in the real world and that, now school was over, the future might be coming up faster than she thought, it was decided that Searah would start work on her mothers book stall.

Dounaton had two markets. The first was nestled behind the river promenade where Reaccas parents shop was. It was an open market, full of vegetable sellers, stalls selling trinkets and cheap jewellery. Every third day it was dedicated to meats and so the smell of fish and the flesh of farmed and hunted animals drifted over the wood and wicker stalls and the sounds of hooves on the cobbled floor. The outer market would go on late into the night, illuminated by large oil lamps suspended metal ropes hanging above. On these later evenings the food sellers would roll out moving carts of meat shavings and roasted nuts and the smell of the food mixed with the warm glow of the oil lamps and the delicate pin-pricks of brilliance coming from the market dwellers spirits.

 

The second market was entirely indoors. The entrances to the inner market lined the far side of the outer one and each was framed with pictures of animals and spices, jewellery and fine clothes. Around the edge on two levels were a variety of shop fronts, about large enough for three people to stand in front of. The open space in the middle stretched from floor to the glassed ceiling two floors up. It was occupied by a few free standing stalls selling hot vegetables and soups, surrounded by an arrangement of tables and chairs, as well as several large trees from hotter climates who’s leaves were as long as a mans arm.

 

It was in the inner market that Searah’s mother had her stall. Her second hand books fitted nicely between the shop fronts selling fin cloths, exotic spices and a variety of other, more expensive, products. And so it was here, under the ever watchful eye of her mother that Searah started to learn the trade. Most people just wondered through the various books on sale, stopping here and there to pick through something, only to put it back again. There were a few customers, mostly the elder members of the community, who visited the shop regularly in search of something new to read. Over the weeks Searah started to learn what these more regular customers were looking for and would often have something ready for them to look at before they arrived. She would have liked to be more involved with the expensive, rare or interesting books. Sometimes her mother would receive tomes of magical lore, written in the old language, or else an old scroll pertaining to reveal secrets of the future. However if ever anything interesting or expensive came up, her mother would open a door to the side of the shop front and lead the customer through to a room in the back where they could talk in private.

 

It didn’t take long however for a different type of customer to start coming to the second hand book store. When Searah spoke of them to her father, he called them pilgrims, but her mother just called them a pain.  It started slowly at first, but as more and more people started to realise the Searah, hero of the town, defeater of the Gladiator, was working there, more and more of them started to turn up. Some just wanted to congratulate her, or to ask her the same sorts of questions like how it felt to have beaten him or if she had been scared. Some of them seemed to have a bit more of a personal interest in her, coming up to shake her hand, their spirits tentatively inching forwards to brush up against her own. On these occasions Searah’s mother could be heard muttering things like ‘not the sort of publicity she needs’ or ‘ruddy time wasters, filling up my shop’ but there was nothing she could really do to stop them and she couldn’t deny that her sales had gone up ever since Searah had started working there.

 

Searah discovered that this new, rather awkward and embarrassing fame did come with its advantages. During her lunch breaks Searah would walk around the sunny outer market looking at the stalls and trinkets, buying herself treats and jewellery with some of the wages her mother was paying her. She had trouble getting to some of the stalls through the mass of hand shakes and back pats from the other market goers. When she did find something she liked she found that there were very few stall holders that would take money from her.

 

‘Wouldn’t hear of it miss, not from one of our little heroines.’

 

Some of them tried to force more things on her as if paying her for services to the town. After a couple of days of this Searah started to find it more and more embarrassing and started to insist on paying for things. This in itself often made it harder to pay as she started to get a reputation for being humble as well as a town hero.

 

The thing that unnerved her the most however was those times that one of the people that came to see her in the shop or shake her hand outside in the market would ask her to dinner. A whole Varity of men seemed to be suddenly interested in her. She could always tell the ones who were going to ask her to join them in some activity as their spirits would hang back, or else hug close to their chest is if protecting them from either her rejection or from themselves.

 

It was with a mixture of fear and relief that Searah was finally allowed to meet up with Kaytee and Reacca again. All three sets of parents had decided that it was perhaps time to stop keeping them apart on the day the results of the final school exams came out.

 

Searah was there first, stood in the small alleyway outside the doors to the Grand Hall. The big, dark green envelope which contained her results had landed on the doorstep that morning from where she had picked it up, dressed and left the house to find her friends. They had agreed months ago that they would open them together outside the place in which they sat their exams. They told each other that it was because they had helped each other through the last few years of classes and it seemed right to be together for the end. Each knew, however, that the words and letters contained within the traditional envelope could be enough to send them their separate ways.

 

It was still early morning, and the summer sun still hadn’t risen high enough into the sky to shed much light into the little alley way. Searah stood, lightly leaning against the large Oalk doors waiting for her friends. She held her envelope in both hands, her spirits circling round it, their gentle heat like a far off candle brushing past her skin. It wasn’t to long before footsteps announced Reaccas arrival. She looked tired and solemn and although she didn’t hold an envelope in her hand, she kept touching the pocket of her cloak. They said nothing to each other, instead they only nodded before Reacca to up her post, leaning on the bricked wall opposite the doors.

 

The sun was just starting to peer through the windows of the surrounding classrooms by the time Kaytee arrived, dressed more normally than Searah had ever seen her, and clutching an already opened green envelope.

 

‘Sorry,’ Kaytee said quietly, holding up her opened results, ‘dad read them out for the whole family before I could get hold of them.’

 

‘S’alright,’ Searah replied, ‘doesn’t to much of a difference really. How did you do?’

 

‘Shall we still do it together?’ asked Kaytee. The other two nodded and Searah slit open the envelope, drew out the heavy paper from inside and read.

By the Official Word of Dounaton Masters School

Sanctified by the Deenan Government Learning and Childhood Office

 

Dear Searah Ren,

Please find below a list of the achieved grades for the exams taken at the Dounaton Masters School in the year 1240 of the second age, year of the clear stone. As you know, you must achieve at least a grade D in all bar two of your courses in order to qualify for full adulthood. Failure to do so will require you to retake all exams in one year’s time.

The grade definitions are as follows:-

A – Distinction

B – Merit

C- Pass

D – Below average pass

F – Fail

X – Failure to attend

 

In the following subjects you, Searah Ren, have achieved –

 

 

Art                                -           C

Design and Creation          -           D

Language in Print  -           B

Written / Spoken language   A

Geographical Studies          -           A

History                          -           B

Number Studies                 -           D

Music                             -           C

Physical Studies               -           D

Religion                         -           B

Chemical Science  -           B

Biological Science -           A

Physical World Theory       -           A

 

 

Congratulations, you have achieved the minimum requirements for confirmation. Please find attached to this Official exam listing an invitation to the Confirmation Ceremony to be held two weeks from today where you will receive your Registered Adult Identification Pendant

 

‘Well?’ prompted Reacca after she finished her own. ‘Did we pass? Or are some of us doomed to return, to be forever banned from the Ale Houses of the land?’ there was a silence as Kaytee shifted her weight uncomfortably.

 

‘I’ve passed,’ Searah said with a slight grin, ‘no fails, the odd D.’

 

‘And…’prompted Reacca again.

 

‘And what?’

 

‘What else?’

 

‘Oh, errm, fours A’s’ she said looking down at the list again, ‘a couple of B’s, including History, thanks to you two, errm, a few C’s that’s about it. You?’

 

‘About the same.’ Said Reacca looking at her paper as well. ‘Actually, very similar, 4 A’s, not that many B’s, some C’s, some D’s. I did get one F though, not so good that.’

 

‘What in?’ asked Searah.

 

‘Music. Mum won’t be happy; she’s always on about how she got an A in music when she was at school.’

 

‘Yeah but its only music,’ beamed Searah, ‘that’s fantastic! We’ll graduate together then.’

 

‘I’m quit relieved actually,’ Reacca sighed, ‘maybe now my parents will stop talking about that fight for a while.’

 

‘Well that’s two out of three,’ said Searah, her happiness growing with every second, ‘that’s not bad but there’s still one of us left to go. What’d you get Kaytee?’

 

‘I, err, did alright.’

 

‘come on,’ tutted Reacca,’ we’ll need more than that. Speak up girl, you’re never this quite, it’s disconcerting.’

 

‘Like I said, I did alright.’ Both Searah’s and Reaccas spirits made a sudden lunge towards the paper held in Kaytees hand but she pulled it out of the way.’ All right, all right. If you must know…I did…well. Very well actually.’

 

‘How many points?’ Searah asked.

 

‘How many points did you get?’

 

‘Well A’s are worth 6, Bs 4, C’s 2 and D’s 1 right?’

 

‘That’s right.’ Said Reacca

 

‘So I got….46.’ she said, counting on her fingers.

 

‘Not bad at all,’ Reacca said, patting Searah on the back, ‘the average is about 35 I think. I’ve got 43. Which leaves Kaytee with…’

 

‘63.’

 

‘That’s just typical.’ Grinned Searah putting her hands on her hips in mock annoyance. ‘Masters Daughter gets top results; I knew it was all a fix.’

 

‘Shut up.’ Said Kaytee, punching her on the arm but failing to hide the grin that had started to appear.

 

‘You know what this means?’ asked Searah.

 

‘What?’

 

‘We’re adults! We can go to the Ale House, get proper jobs, get married,’

 

‘No likely,’ interrupted Kaytee.

 

‘But that’s the point; we could if we wanted to. It’s our choice isn’t it?’

 

‘Yeah, get into the spirit of the thing,’ said Reacca, ‘all these things now open to us.’

 

‘Exactly.’

 

‘We can be arrested, sent to jail, pay taxes, get called to go to war. What’s not to like?’ Reacca grinned.

 

‘We can vote.’ Said Kaytee.

 

‘Vote?’ Searah exclaimed, ‘all the possibilities of adulthood open to us and you choose vote?’

 

‘Well,’ said Kaytee, her grin finally broadening, ‘you’d taken all the good ones.’ All three of them laughed, tucked their papers into their pockets and made their way along the alley, their spirits flitting about all around them.

 

We could get our own houses.’ Said Searah.’ Hay, we could all move in together!’

 

‘Oh yes,’ said Reacca in a sarcastic tone, ‘I’m sure if we all put some money in we could get somewhere in, ooh, ten years or so.’

 

‘Yes, well, we could.’

 

‘You know,’ pondered Kaytee, ‘your right.’

 

‘Which one of us? Asked Reacca.

 

‘Well, both of you really but I was talking about Serry here. This is good. An, albeit, slightly scary good thing. We should celebrate!’ Kaytee, patting them both on the head, bounced out in front of them. ‘What shall we do? Can’t go to the Ale House we haven’t got our pendants yet, but the Green is always free, or we could go to mine? I’m sure I could find some food and a bit of entertainment. What do you say?’

 

‘I say that sounds great, but I’ve got to work today, my mothers still keeping my tied to the book store.’

 

‘Ok, what about Reccy?’ she said, hugging Reacca so hard it looked like her shoulders might break.

 

‘Please don’t call me that. I would love to, but parents will kill me if I don’t go by the shop and tell them what I’ve got. I’m sure what with the lectures and endless stories of their schooling achievements I’ll be occupied all morning.’

 

‘Lectures?’ asked Searah. ‘You did really well, what will they be lecturing you about?’

 

‘I didn’t get all A’s you see. Add to that the responsibilities of adulthood, tales of woe warding me off bad behaviour that should keep them going.’

 

‘I don’t know,’ said Kaytee, throwing her arms in the air, ‘one with a job, one with talks on responsibilities, what is this?’

 

‘Adulthood I’d guess’ said Searah reaching the school gate and pulling it open. ‘Anyway, I’ll see you later I’ve got to head off now. Meet at your later?’

 

‘Sounds good.’ Smiled Kaytee. ‘We can have a proper celebration then.’

 

The following weeks seemed to go by in fits and spurts. At times, it seemed to be rushing headlong towards the confirmation evening, leaving so little time for the three girls and their families to get everything ready. Kaytee of course had been roped into helping organise the school hall ready for the event. The stage had been laid out at the front and slowly the chairs became to fill the room. Both Searah’s and Reaccas parents were thrilled with their results. They spent the next few days organising smart clothes for them all to wear, both mothers marching their children down to the hairdressers on the same day.

 

Other times, however, crawled past so slowly that Searah thought that confirmation would never come. Despite her mothers enthusiasm for her results she had insisted that Searah continue to work at the book stall. The Deenan summer was in full swing and the inner market became swelteringly hot at the unfettered sun crashed its way through the glass ceiling. Searah had gone against her better judgement by taking a fan as a gift from one of the many people who still came to the store to see her by the time the first week of sun was over. There was an upside, however, to her continuing work for her mother. She seemed to have regained a little trust in Searah and as a result, now allowed her into the back room to see what happened with some of the more important clients.

 

The back room was covered on all sides by bookcases that stood floor to ceiling. Each was stacked full of old and well-bound books giving the room a deep musty smell of paper and leather. Some of the books were written in languages that Searah couldn’t read and some seemed to be written almost entirely in pictographs. Most of them seemed to be history books, or else books on the dead or famous. An entire side seemed to be dedicated to religious texts including some very old, hand written copies of the Books of Promise. In the middle of the room stood two very warn but very comfortable chairs and a small round table. Searah’s mother would sit down and discuss what ever it was the client wanted over a cup of tea or cake bought from one of the other stalls. Many of the books these men and women were buying were very expensive and would have taken Searah, on her small wage, several years to afford.

 

The day of the confirmation finally arrived amidst much flurrying and panic in the Ren household. Searah had been forced into a long flowing dress of the deepest purple, the frills and pleats of which rippled under the gentle forces of Searah spirits who were nestled amongst them. Her hair had been tied up into a bun on the back of her head and she felt thoroughly awkward. She tried telling her mother this, but was only snapped at in response.

 

‘This the last chance I’ll really get to boss you around, after tonight you’ll be an adult and will probably never let me near you again.’

 

‘And what makes you think I’m going to let you near me now?’

 

‘Because I told you too, that’s why.’

It was with a grudging acceptance that Searah finally entered the Grand Hall dressed more smartly than she had ever been in her life. It was with some relief that she saw that almost everyone else was looking just as uncomfortable dressed in their black trousers and jackets or smart dresses. While her parents went over to speak to the master, Searah walked off in the other direction to find Reacca. She saw her leaning by the wall directly in a patch of warm summer light that was poring in through the high windows. She looked completely at ease in a long white dress that Searah guessed her mother had designed specifically for the occasion. Her spirits seemed to have arranged themselves into the shape of a tiara in her hair and seemed to sparkle almost as strongly as the sun flowing over them. she caught sight of Searah as she approached and smirked.

 

‘What?’ Searah asked.

 

‘Your mother made you wear that didn’t she?’

 

‘No,’ lied Searah, ‘I thought it looked good.’

 

‘Well it does. Whoever picked it out as good taste, and its not one of my mothers which is even better.’

 

‘I like the clothes your mother makes, I mean what your wearing looks fantastic.’

 

‘I know,’ said Reacca without a trace of humility, ‘still, it would be nice to have a change once in a while.’

 

‘Can I just say though,’ said Searah pulling a concerned face, ‘reef of spirits, bit much.’

 

‘Oh shut up.’ Said Reacca over Searah's giggles. ‘Anyway, I’ve got more interesting news than what were wearing. You remember Garrad?’ asked Reacca.

 

‘The boy you left after the last exam?’

 

‘He’s not here.’

 

‘How is that exciting news?’ asked Searah. ‘There’s probably a few people that aren’t here. I take it he didn’t pass?’

 

‘That’s the thing, he did pass.’

 

‘So why isn’t he here?’

 

‘Apparently he had a huge argument with his parents the day after he got the results and stormed off.’

 

‘How do you know about it?’

 

‘I overheard my mum and his mum talking in the shop while I was making this dress.’

 

‘You made the dress? Wow, you’ve improved.’

 

‘Can we get away from the damned dress.’ said Reacca angrily. ‘I’ve spoken to some of his friends, apparently he’s got really into the strange cult. According to them its been going on for a while but I never noticed anything.’

 

‘You were only with him for a few weeks thought.’

 

‘True. Still, it’s a bit creepy really.’

‘What is this cult?’ asked Searah.

 

‘They worship this woman who lives in the Forrest of Ravens. They all seem to believe she’s a Magic Holder and will rid the Territories of non-believers or some such.’

 

‘Magic Holders are rare,’ said Searah thoughtfully, ‘you have to be born into it or be touched by another Holders power I thought.’

 

‘She’s probably a nut case. I don’t suppose it matters though really, either way he’s run off to join them.’

 

‘Wow.’

 

‘I told you it was interesting news.’ Said Reacca.

 

‘Excuse me,’ came the voice of Kaytee from behind Searah's shoulder, ‘I hate to interrupt this little conference but its about to start.’

 

‘There you are!’ exclaimed Reacca. ‘Where have you been?’

 

‘In the back room, talking with the Master and the local elders, I couldn’t get away until now.’

 

The three girls joined the milling crowd taking their seats. The people who where there for the confirmation sat at the front in named seats whilst the people there to watch sat at the back. Searah, Kaytee and Reacca found their chairs next to each other on the back row and sat down.

 

‘Have you heard the masters speech this year?’ Searah asked Kaytee.

 

‘No, he has been keeping it in a locked draw in his study and only been practicing it when I’m out of the house. You know what its likely to be though, lots of pomp about responsibility and respect and realising your potential and various other things beginning with R.’

 

‘Who’s presenting this year?’ asked Reacca.

 

‘Honestly, don’t you two read your confirmation letters? The town elder, Vorras Farnum is doing it with all the other elders coming along for good measure. Talking of which.’

 

As Kaytee spoke, a precession of people walked up and took their seats on the stage facing the crowd of suddenly silent people. From somewhere in the back of the hall, a drum started to beat a rhythm and some string instruments started to play a grand tune that sent chills of anticipation along Searah's arms. Each of them had greying hair and wore long robes of green and gold, the traditional colours of the school. Last of all came two men, the first was Vorras, dressed entirely in a golden robe and second was the Master, his counterpart in green. Vorras took a seat at the end of the line as the master took centre stage, looking out over the crowd of eyes all pointing in his direction

 

‘This is an important evening for everyone in the room. Each and every single one of us has worked to be here, to be dressed well and be pleased for those who sit, expectantly, before me now.

 

‘These boys and girls will walk out of this hall as men and women and have earned the right to do so. But let them not forget that they did not get here alone.’ The Master paused for a second and started to pace the stage.

 

‘As I said, this is an important day for us all. Let them remember their parents, or grandparents, or aunts or uncles or brothers and sisters who sit behind them. They have brought them to this point in their lives, shown them right from wrong, and got them to the brink of adulthood.

 

‘These men behind me,’ he said, turning and offering them the smallest of bows, ‘elders all, have held this town true. They have put those for whom money is not in abundance threw their education, ensuring that every boy and girl has had the opportunity to be here now. These men have also bestowed on all of you the rights of adulthood and on some here still waiting, further honours still.

 

‘This institutions fine teachers and I have educated them, enlightened them and, on occasion, berated them and those who sit before me have come forth victorious, each earning their place amongst us.

 

‘But what is it that they have earned? Some might say it is the right to freedom, to drink and earn money. Some might say it is the right to live where you please and take control of your own destiny. Each and every one of these rights and freedoms, and many more besides, are now theirs, but with these pleasures comes the burden of responsibility, which, in the fullness of time, will come to outweigh the pleasures of age. You will now become responsible for the town in which you settle as well as for your own actions. With the completion of this ceremony, you will become responsible for the welfare of those yet to pass into adulthood. Most importantly of all, you become responsible for each other and for all those around you.’ Coming to a stop in the middle of the stage once more, he turned and faced the hall.

 

‘So how do we mark this important day? I have no doubt that the taverns will do a roaring trade this evening but how will they know the difference between those who have passed into adulthood and those who have not? All those who have made the grade tonight will be presented with a Pendant of Confirmation, or Condant as it is more commonly known. This not only marks the start of your adulthood but also your identity.

 

‘Upon each one sits two symbols. The first, the Candle and the Hammers, symbol of Deenan Territory. Second, is the Broken Circle and Green, symbol of the school and designed after the shape of this town. Also upon the Condant will be your name and the stone, which denoted the year of your Confirmation. These stones cycle every ten years and this year marks the start of a new cycle with the year of the Clear Stone.

 

‘Over time other symbols will be added to the back which denote station or achievement that can only be granted by powers such as the elders sat behind me, schools, Collegiums Sancta or governments. For most of you, however these are a thing for the future.

 

‘It is with pleasure that I now present each of you with your Condant, the key to the door to the rest of your lives.’

 

To a large round of applause that reverberated around the hall, the Master stood aside and allowed Vorras, eldest of the elders, to take centre stage. The names of Searah's, Reaccas and Kaytee's classmates where read aloud, each line of seats standing up together to great cheers and applause. Each person took to the stage in turn, shook Vorras’ hand before being presented with a small leather box by the Master. Some stood and talked to the two men for a few minutes, some just shook their hands and left. As each one exited the stage, they walked up to their family and friends sat at the back of the hall, bowed to them and took a seat amongst their ranks. Finally, only the girls’ line was left sitting in the front half of the hall. Searah could feel her heart beating in her throat. She had images of stumbling up the stage or falling over onto Vorras.

 

‘Jarna,’ Varras called and a girl with short blonde hair stood up at the other end of Searah's row, ‘Tamnan, Borteen, Dworlic, Roc;ell,’ there were only two more names before hers, ‘Heelin and Wyard.’’ They all hesitated, but at a beckon from the Master, they walked up onto the stage ato the applause of the now swelling rants of people behind them.

 

‘What's going on?’ called Kaytee to the others above the noise.

 

‘They’ve missed us out, I don’t understand.’ Shouted Reacca.

 

‘We did pass right?’ asked Searah, leaning across to talk to her friends.

 

Wyard walked past them, bowed to the congregation and took the last seat as the clapping died down. Searah felt hundreds of pairs of eyes boring into the back of her head. The three girls sat together, isolated from the rest of the all by a sea of empty seats. Searah felt slightly sick.

 

Vorras took a step forward and cleared his throat. Although his voice was quiet and frail it still commanded the attention of everyone in the room.

 

‘So,’ he said, ‘that is it. you are now adults and free to do as you wish, but be warned, as actions have consequences. If your actions are good and pure then the consequences will be likewise. If, however, your choices are bad, or harmful, expect to be repaid in kind.

 

‘Except that is not it, is it? we are still left with the fate of, what I imagine will likely be, three nervous girls, left alone while those around them have swelled the ranks of the fathers and mothers.’ Searah could feel the eyes return to her briefly before returning to Vorras.

 

‘Why have they been singled out you may ask? Well these three girls demonstrate what I have just been saying, that actions have consequences.

 

‘For years this town has had its reputation stamped upon and its people laughed at by those who come around once a year for our entertainment. Every year since before the last cycle of the stones their Gladiator has come and he had defeated up, humiliated us. That was until this summer, when these three girls stood up to him and, against a history of odds, bested him.

 

‘In those few minutes they returned the town of Dounatons reputation of pride, and we the elders believe that this deserves special recognition. So, Searah, Reacca and Kaytee, we the elders, on behalf of the people of Dounaton, award you with the status of Gladiator and have so cared the symbol of the wielded sword onto the back of your Condant. You have the freedom of the town, the freedom to settle in any town in any Territory you wish without the risk of objection. This title comes with responsibilities and I am sure they will be called upon many times throughout your lives.’

 

The hall erupted with the loudest applause of the evening as the three girls stood up, looked at each others stunned expression and walked up onto the stage. Searah's mind seemed to be in a haze as she shook Vorras’ hand and accepted the small leather box. She opened it, noticing only faintly that the hinges creaked, and pulled out her new silver Confirmation Pendant. It was oblong and attached to a gold chain. Her name, written in slanting script had the symbol of the lit candle and crossed hammers above and the broken circle with the shape of the towns Green at its centre, below. At the bottom, beneath a smoothly curved hole there was a brilliantly clear stone set into the metal. It caught the light and sent little rainbows playing over her hand. Her spirits came and gently lifted if from her hands. Slowly they turned it over and she saw the image of a hand grasping a double edged sword carved into its mirrored surface.

 

As the noise died down, she looked up just in time to see the Master shoot Kaytee a proud look before turning to have all three of them.

 

‘Take your place amongst us. You have no need to bow to those whom you protect.’ Searah walked off the stage still in a daze and felt Reaccas hand on the back of her dress.

 

‘Wait,’ she said, stopping both Searah and Kaytee in their tracks, ‘this is too weird, we have to bow like everyone else.’

 

‘He said we didn’t have too.’ Said Kaytee.

 

‘No,’ said Searah,’ she’s right, we should. Together?’ the others nodded, and together they turned to face the crowd and, after a pause, bowed their heads to another round of applause.

 

*

 

It was several hours before Searah, Reacca, Kaytee and their parents found themselves alone at the table in a warm corner of the Spirit and Mead tavern. They must have shaken the hands of everyone in the village and there were further rounds of applause as they and other students put their Condants on for the first time.

 

The tavern had been no different and as the Master had insisted that they pay for the first round of drinks it had taken them a long time to fight their way through the crowds of back slaps and hand shakes too finally get to the bar. As they sat down and took their ale in their hands, all three fathers raised their glasses in a toast.

 

‘To the Gladiators.’

 

Searah took a long gulp from her glass and felt the bitter liquid run down her throat, almost making her gag.

 

‘Well that wasn’t worth the wait!’ she coughed, putting down her glass and veering her mouth. A couple of her spirits dipped themselves into the dark brown liquid before flying back out and shaking little droplets of ale over everyone around the table.

 

‘Speak for yourself,’ said Kaytee putting down a half empty glass, ‘that’s not bad that stuff.’

 

‘Well we should have expected you to like it,’ said Reacca pulling a look of disgust,’ you never have had any taste.’

 

‘Must be why I befriended you.’ Retorted Kaytee with a grin, making the Master laugh into his drink.

 

‘Of course,’ said the Master mopping up his spilt mead with a handkerchief, ‘that isn’t the end of the announcements, is it Kaytee?’ almost as if she were on a switch, Kaytee started to look grumpy again and merely grunted and downed the last half of her drink.

 

‘I need another one.’ She said, half getting up, but her mother, a thin woman with dark brown hair put up in a tidy bun, put a hand on her shoulder and pushed her down again.

 

‘You mean you haven’t told anyone yet?’ asked the Master. ‘I would have thought you’d have told anyone who stood still for more than a few seconds.

 

‘Haven’t got around to it yet.’ Kaytee mumbled, looking more and more grumpy with every word her father spoke.

 

‘Well, now seems like the perfect time. We,’ said the Master looking across at his wife, ‘have decided…’

 

‘Can’t this wait?’ interrupted Kaytee, her spirits floating close to her chest, blocking the air between her and her friends.

 

‘No, it can’t. as I was saying, we have decided, after much argument and contemplation, that’ he drew himself up to his full height and listed his glass as if in toast, ‘we are going to send Kaytee away to one of the finest Collegiums the Territories have to offer!’ He clinked his glass against Kaytee's empty one and drunk deeply, completely missing the glum look on his daughters face and the looks of shock upon the faces of Reacca and Searah.

 



© 2008 Stevious


Author's Note

Stevious
Thoughts, feelings, anything...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
Added on July 25, 2008


Author

Stevious
Stevious

Hampshire, United Kingdom



About
I love stories. I thought I'd get the simple soundbite sentance out of the way before we start. For me, i find the process of writing involves trying to slow my head down enough to write the story dow.. more..

Writing