Chapter 4: Kiki

Chapter 4: Kiki

A Chapter by Stitch499

Chapter 4:

Kiki

“Sunshine, Sunshine, wake up, its time for lunch.” A voice said, I opened my eyes, Rusty was sitting next to me and we were in a cabin. I shot up, “Wh.. Where?” I asked, “Shh, its okay, don’t freak out! Bjarne said you didn’t get to sleep too quickly last night so we let you sleep. We took turns carrying you. We’re right outside of Kiki’s village, tonight we will be there.” Rusty explained. They carried me? How did Bajrne know I was up so late? He had been fast asleep when I was still sitting by the fire, Bjarne set down three plates on the table, after eating we packed up and headed to Kiki’s home.

            What is I got a weird name? What if I was misinterpreting something, what if she doesn’t like me? The closer we got to Kiki’s home, the more my thoughts raced with questions, and after walking for almost six hours we finally arrived. Kiki’s home was beautiful, and in the ground, the Jasmine’s growing on the top hung just below the edge of the roof. She has a little seat outside with a basket beside it, and her door was a beautiful, rich green color. I put my fist up to knock but hesitated and I turned to the boys. “Could I do this alone?” I asked, the boys looked at each other and then back at me.

“I just need to do this alone, I’ll leave my things with you.” I begged, they finally agreed and I knocked on the door, for a minute or two there weren’t any sounds or footsteps, then suddenly a sweet woman opened the door. “You must be Sunshine, please, come in! You boys feel free to sit on this bench, I’ll have Maria bring you something warm, I know Sunshine has asked you to stay out here.” She smiled. I was surprised when she spoke; I know I should have expected this, but tis unnerving having someone know everything about you.

            When she spoke her words were like songs, so smooth and rich. Walking into Kiki’s home was like walking into a secret place, there were beautiful paintings on the walls, and a shelf full of instruments. Maria ended up being Kiki’s sister; she helped her because Kiki’s physical sight wasn’t that good. Maria had beautiful green eyes just like Kiki, they were both beautiful but Kiki’s surpassed everyone I knew. Kiki’s hair was a lovely black that fell to the bottom of her back; she had braids throughout her straight hair and a small gold band around her head.

            Kiki had bright green eyes that were full of life despite her lack of sight, a small figure and what was almost perfect posture. Her skin was a light olive color, and there was a small gold band around her wrist. “Sit here dear.” She said pointing to a small table by the window, and without any trouble she sat in the other chair. “Maria, love, would you bring us tea?” she asked, Maria nodded and smiled; Maria seemed to be a gracious person.

            “You’re tired, you’re worrying too much about things that may not happen.” She smiled, I was about to nod but then I remembered her poor eyesight. “I suppose so, I was mostly nervous to see you.” I answered; she nodded and closed her eyes for a second. “You’ve found your gift! What a beautiful gift it is too!” she clapped her hands in delight. That made me smile, “The gift of sensing is very rare, I have only had the pleasure of meeting three others like you in my 300 years!” she said. Elves often live until the age of 1000, and we don’t age physically very much other than our hair turning white, but that doesn’t happen until at least our 700th year. You can always tell when an elf is getting old by their roots and by the way they walk.

From the looks of it, Kiki was still young, maybe in her 500’s; she had not yet begun to gray. “Sensing is a heavy bearing gift, you feel what the people around you feel, you hear what they think, you know what they are going to do. Its draining so you must learn how to control it or you will run dry.” Kiki warned. “Run dry” is a term used when an elf has had so much life energy depleted, they become close to death, and some have died from it. “Give me your hands” she demanded, I reached over the table to her tiny fingers, and she wrapped her hands around mine. “Your name is so beautiful, I fear you won’t accept it though. Its great, and will be written in books.” She said.

That made me worry, I didn’t want to be in front of anyone and I certainly didn’t want to do big things. Kiki smiled, “Don’t worry you can handle it, your name is the very essence of being. Your new name is Life!” she let go of my hands and Maria finally brought over the tea and went to the boys outside. “Life?” I asked, Kiki nodded, I sipped the tea, it was a white tea with a lavender taste. Life is such an odd name, there had to be a mistake! Kiki sighed, “Let me ask you a few questions. Life is messy, life has a way of moving forward, correct?” I nodded, knowing now that she knew I would.

“Right, so, if that is true, life always creates something beautiful, each day is new, life is everything from the rivers to the animals, to the creatures around us, correct?” she asked. Again, I nodded, “Therefore, you fit perfectly. You’re beautiful, even the young men and Maria noticed how beautiful you are. Your spirit is sweet but you do make your own mistakes. You have your mysteries and people only see small parts of you. You encourage everyone around you; you bring joy to all who meet you. Life is just like that.” She finished.

I drank some more tea and mulled over her speech, I guess it did make sense, “You’re not content with this yet but you will see in time, it will make sense, I promise.” She smiled. “Thank you, I must get back to Rusty and Bjarne so we can begin our travels home.” I said standing up. “Okay dear, but one more thing before you leave, they will both fall in love with you, be careful.” She warned. “I’m sorry, who?” I asked, Kiki smiled and walked me to the door; Rusty and Bjarne were looking at Maria with confused expressions. Maria was trying to explain knitting to them, I could tell neither of them understood a word she was saying, ‘Are you guys ready?” I asked.

The pair of them stood up quickly, I think they were more than excited to get out of this lesson. “Yes, good to see you again Kiki.” Bjarne said bowing. Kiki bowed back, “Likewise Bjarne, and to answer your question, yes. And Rusty, dear, don’t lose heart.” Kiki said. We all looked uncomfortably at one another, and then bid Kiki farewell and went on our way. I looked at Bjarne, I think what Kiki said was still lulling in his brain, he seemed like he was concentrating really hard. I wondered what his question had been; I wondered if Rusty and Bjarne were whom she was talking about that would fall in love with me.

“Princess… you aren’t here are you?” Rusty asked, “Wha… oh, I’m sorry, I’ve been in my mind all day, I’m so sorry.” I apologized. “Its okay, how did it go with Kiki? I remember when I had to go to her, it was very unnerving when she would say things I hadn’t known.” He smiled. “Yes, that was odd, I imagine her sister must be very used to it. It went well, she helped me to understand my gift better.” I smiled, “So what is it?” Bjarne piped in, ‘what is what? My gift?” I asked,  “No, the donkey’s name, of course your gift, but your name too.” He teased.

“She said my gift is called sensing….” I said, “I’ve read about that gift, only three other elves have had it through history. Most of them had important jobs and ended up saving someone.” Rusty recited. “You sound like a walking book.” Bjarne jabbed, “Bjarne be nice! My new name is… its not great really… its Life.” I squeaked. Looks of understanding passed through both Bjarne and Rusty’s faces, “That makes sense, when I first met you on that rock, you held a specific essence I couldn’t equate with anything but life. That’s why everyone likes you I think.” Bjarne said.

I was starting to become worn out, “If you guys don’t mind, could we travel in silence for awhile? I’m pretty tired.” I asked, Bjarne went in front and Rusty stayed behind me, and the whole way back to Bjarne’s home, I thought about my encounter with Kiki. Laying in Bjarne’s bed, I stared at the picture of him and his mother, how sad he must get sometimes thinking about her. My thoughts drifted for hours, until finally I fell asleep.

No, how could you let her get away?!? “I’m sorry master, some lady took her!” :You must go and find her and never come back until you do! If she finds her gift, it may be impossible to take her again!” “Master, why do you want this child?” “You insolent bug! Don’t you understand? Only three others in the world have the same gift she will have. If she follows in their footsteps, we will never have the kingdom. We must kill her before that happens.

I woke myself up from screaming, Bjarne burst through the door and ran to me, he grabbed my face, “Shh, Sunshine, what’s wrong? Its okay, I’m here.” I started crying, “I’m so.. sorry… it was just a nightmare, I get them a lot.” He sat next to me on the bed, “You’re going to be okay, I’m right here, nothing can harm you.” He brushed his fingers through my hair until I fell back to sleep.

When I woke up Bjarne was gone, there was a note on the table, he had gone to get the horses. I got up and went to the living room; Rusty was sitting at the table reading. “Light reading?” I asked pointing to the enormous book Rusty had in his hands, Rusty laughed, “Sure, if that’s what you want to call it. How are you? Bjarne said you had a rough night.” I nodded, “I’m okay now, it was just a nightmare.” He looked concerned, “Like the ones you have at home?” he asked. I nodded; he shut his book and turned to me, “I wonder if there is some way to get them to stop. I hate that you get these so often!” I blushed, and then I was horrified, what if this is what Kiki was talking about? If they fell in love with me that would be awful, not just for me but for them, because I can’t marry either of them, they are not royalty.

“I’m not sure.” I said, I could suddenly feel what he was feeling, he was confused and worried, there was a battle going on in his mind. He was thinking about me, he knew I couldn’t marry outside of royalty but he was starting to like me, but on the other hand, he knew that Bjarne has a thing for me as well. His thoughts suddenly turned off and he sat up, “I’m glad Bjarne was there for you, I’m sorry I didn’t hear anything.” He apologized. I wonder how he could shut his thoughts off so quickly.

When Bjarne came back, we packed up and headed back to Rainwood, Bjarne let Rusty take the lead and rode beside me for awhile. “How are you today? I’m sorry I left so early.” He said. “I’m better, I just have a lot going through my mind I need to sort out.” I explained. We rode in silence for a bit, then Bjarne looked at me, “Hey Sunshine… there’s something I need to say….” Oh no, here it comes, should I tell him what Bijan said? Should I leave it alone? “Bjarne, before you do…. I need to tell you something….” I looked into his eyes; I could feel myself pleading for him not to get mad.

I told him all about my conversation with Bijan, and about not being able to marry outside of royal blood and I showed him Scarlet’s journal. I could feel his temper rising, with each sentence his body and eyes grew more and more stiff. He didn’t talk to me for hours, suddenly he leaned forward, “Rusty… princess…. I need you two to take your horses off the path.” He whispered.  Rusty and I quickly went straight to the bushes and waited, we could hear Bjarne speaking to something, “Listen we don’t want to hurt you. Please, if anything I can help you!” then a deep growl from the other side of the road reached us, “I promise, I’m not lying.” Bjarne said.

Something scared the horses and they began to be restless, “Shh its okay.” Rusty whispered petting the horses. Then my horse stepped on a branch and it cracked loudly. I could hear Bjarne’s thoughts, he seemed to be yelling run. “No I wasn’t lying, I just didn’t want you to feel like you had to show yourself to others in this condition.” Bjarne said. Suddenly more and more growls met his plea, “Run! Rusty, Sunshine, get out of here!” he yelled. Rusty kicked his horse and pulled mine along, I looked back to see wolves attacking Bjarne’s horse. He was trying to back away but the horse kept jumping around, he lost his footing and fell off the horse.

He tried to get up but the horse hit him and bolted, knocking him back down, “Rusty, I can’t leave him!’ I turned around and jumped off the horse, the wolves all turned and stared at me. They looked at one another then started walking towards me, “Please, leave him alone, he wasn’t trying to trick you!” I pleaded, Bjarne pulled a whistle from his pocket and blew into it. I didn’t hear anything but the wolves started crying and falling over, some staggered back into the woods. “Bjarne, stop! You’re hurting them!” I cried, Bjarne kept blowing the whistle until he got to me, he picked me up and threw me back onto my horse, when he got on he put the whistle away and looked at the wolves.

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to hurt you, but you left me no choice.” He said, as each wolf got up, a big white wolf got in front of the others and growled, “She is not staying with you.” Bjarne said sternly and then kicked the horse, I held onto him until finally he slowed the horse down in Kenwa right outside of Rainwood. Rusty came back to us, and rode next to us, “Are you okay?” he asked, Bjarne and I nodded, “Good, you need to listen to people better!” Rusty spat at me. I could feel he was agitated with me, for a few miles we traveled in silence, none of us willing to let go of what happened. “He’s right you know.” Bjarne finally said, “You need to listen.” I scowled, if only he knew.

 

           

 



© 2015 Stitch499


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on February 11, 2015
Last Updated on February 11, 2015
Tags: elves, chapter, red, sunshine


Author

Stitch499
Stitch499

Kissimmee, FL



About
I love to write and want to be an author :) more..

Writing
The Woods The Woods

A Chapter by Stitch499