Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by S.J. Holmes
"

The prologue to 'Wingless Angel'

"

Prologue

When I was appointed as her guardian angel, I had no idea of the events that would transpire in her life. Nobody did. I had no idea that in the end, I would fail my family and most regrettably her. Perhaps this was her destiny and I was chosen to keep her on the right path; I didn't fail. Perhaps it was meant to happen, I am, still, yet to find out. But most of all I never, in the thousands of years of my existence, expected my Father's plans for the girl and myself. Still, I welcomed them with open arms and a smile on my face; I had become quite attached to the girl when she was still just a child and innocent as a lamb.

I underestimated her so many times as she grew. Always thinking that she'd end up hurt every time she tried something; she'd seem to just attract danger, yet each time, I was mercifully proven wrong on my quick assumptions. The girl was always stronger emotionally and in the fact that she never once gave up. That is one of the many things that I still admire about her. She was so strong willed but sometimes when she was hurt mentally or emotionally, I saw the light of hope and life fade from her beautiful eyes. It pained me too; I saw our world wear her down so that there wasn't much of the girl left.

But she was always meant for our world.

From the moment her parents met and their destinies intertwined, two plans were set into motion. The first, on the side of Hell, was the plan of the destroyer, the Devil himself chose someone close to God as The Destroyer. I would be that person. The second plan was in retaliation to the first, the plan of The Saviour, the saviour being the baby sleeping in her crib.

January 15th 1999

Just out in the green of the countryside of Yorkshire, there stood a small, ancient house that was home to a woman and her baby. A baby who, even from before birth, was destined for greatness. Her name said it all. Hope Angelica. She was to be every being's last hope. Her destiny was to save, not just humans, but Angels, Demons and Monsters alike.

Perching on a sturdy branch outside the sleeping baby's room, a man watched as she slumbered peacefully in her crib. The silent wind enabled the cricket's lullaby to fill the nursery through the open window and the clear night sky allowed the glowing moon to illuminate the room. It was a peaceful winter's evening. Then the man visibly tense as if he sensed danger.

A dark, cold, evil presence, that would make anybody's blood grin cold in fright, filled the.area. The man had personally, never met the reason for the presence but he had heard of him. The newcomer is the reason for everybody's, for monsters that lurk under beds or in closets, for the bad dreams that seen so real they have people waking up in the middle of the night screaming and covered in a cold sweat.

Lucifer.

He was as handsome as the legends depict yet as old as time itself. The first Angel. Nobody would think it though; he's the Devil himself, Satan, the King of Hell, he is known by many names, it's different wherever you go. But he's still his same evil, malicious self who kills and tortured would.just because he's bored. He is not a being you want to tango with.

As Lucifer entered Hope's room, darkness crept toward her crib from each corner and the devil advanced toward her. A cruel smirk crossed him angel-like features as he looked down at, in him mind, a pitiful excuse of a Saviour. He could kill her so easily and so he would, sooner rather than later. Preferably tonight so that Hope didn't cause him any trouble in the future. Satan would feel no guilt or remorse for the child, he would only relish in the fact that he would be victor and God would have lost this battle.

Looming over the cot, Satan reached toward 'The Saviour' and placed his hand to cover her nose and mouth, preparing to smother her. Of course, no plan is without an intervention and this one was no different. The door creates open, a single drop of light streaming into the room and the figure of a woman blocking the doorway. Her mouth was agape in horror and fright as she witnessed the scene before her. It was short lived. With a single flick of his wrist, Lucifer killed the woman painlessly and quickly; she hit the ground with a thud. Her eyes and mouth were still wide in terror.

Finally, he turned back to the task at hand. He was here to kill Hope. Fixing the child.with his cold stare, Lucifer grabbed one of her stuffed toys and covered her mouth and nose once more. She was dead in a matter of minutes. Thought it was a monstrous, painful act, in the devils eyes it was need and he felt no emotion for the loss of such a young life.

Silence.

It hung in the air like fog in the late evening, nothing made a sound. Even the crickets had stopped their song, as if mourning for the deaths of the two females. Then a wicked laugh cut through the saddened atmosphere like a knife, it was sharp and full of malice. The chuckle echoed through the ancient house, making the windows vibrate in their frames. He had won! Nothing, nobody could save the humans they were going to perish. Lucifer would take great pleasure in killing every single one of them and then locking them in Hell for an eternity of torture. He would kill them all himself but it would take far too long so he would enlist the help of his loyal minions, so to speak.

Still chuckling hysterically, Lucifer vanished in a cloud of black smoke.

Nothing made a sound, nobody warning the area now; even the wildlife had scattered at the appearance of the Devil and So had the mysterious man. He had left his tree and was nowhere in sight. Surprisingly, a bright, white light illuminated the darkened room, it was blinding. The whiteness of the light could only mean one thing: purity. The light of an Angel.

As the light dulled, the figure of a young man became visible. He was tall, a few inches over six-foot, with shoulder length chocolate hair that was silky to the touch; a handsome face that can only be described as angelic, finally, his skin wasn't extremely pale but it wasn't overly tanned either, it was just somewhere in the middle of the two. But the most surprising of all were his eyes; they were bright green with swirls or silver mixed in.

From just one glance, you could see that he was older than he looked, whether that's to do with they eyes or just the the way he held himself. Either way, he wasn't nearly as young as he looked. Oh no, he had been around for millennia, maybe not as long as Satan, but he was close.

Hesitantly, the man stepped toward the crib and reached into his jacket pocket. Slowly, he retrieved a glass vial with a sliver substance, the same silver as in his strange eyes. Taking a deep breath, the man lowered the vial to Hope's slightly opened mouth and the silver substance whispered down her throat and into her body. The man whispered his prayer that the substance would save the girl. As he spoke, the silver substance traveled all throughout her tiny body before coming to rest at her abdomen.

Nothing happened.

Then there was a sharp intake of breath followed by the cry of an infant. Around the baby, the air seemed to glow, as did the child herself. As she cried, her eyes opened revealing ice blue irises with strange swirls of silver mixed in, much like the man's. The reason for the strange colour in her eyes,.in.both of their eyes, must have been the silver substance that the man had given Hope in hopes of reviving her so that she could fulfill her destiny.

Lifting the small child into his arms, the man also took one of her fluffy.blankets from the crib before disappearing into thin air. Hope's mother's body still laid lifeless on the ground of the nursery but her soul had ascended up to Heaven where she could watch her daughter live her life.

A light illuminated a darkened alley just off a street in London; nobody was, luckily, around to see it. The figure of a man emerged from the lightened alley, in his arms was a bundle of fabrics as if there was a swaddled baby in his arms. Slowly, her strode along the deserted street toward a large house.

The house, surrounded by winter bare trees with skeleton-like twigs and branches, was old and built of fancy stone. There were large steps leading to the main door, which was white. It was also the only house with lights turned on. The whole walk down the street, the and didn't see one house with any lights on. It seemed that this was the house that he wanted as he climbed the stairs, reached into his jacket pocket, pulled out an envelope and bent down so that he was sat on his knees.carefully, he placed hope on the cold ground and tucked the envelope into the blankets. With a sigh, the man stood and took a step back. With a whoosh of the wing he was gone.



© 2014 S.J. Holmes


Author's Note

S.J. Holmes
Sorry for any grammatical errors.
Thanks for reading.
What do you all think? Please review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've done a lovely job. My attention was captured immediately. I look forward to more. As you said, it's a bit rough, grammatically. However, with some editing you will be able to fix it up nicely. Very nicely written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really ejoyed it, it was something that i would love to keep reading(:

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2014
Last Updated on February 10, 2014
Tags: Angel, Heaven, Saviour, Destroyer, Love, Destiny, Hell, Devil, Demons


Author

S.J. Holmes
S.J. Holmes

Sheffield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
Hi, so I'm Summer, I'm fifteen and I'm from England. I love to write; it helps me escape from all of the pain of real life that well all have to endure. I don't actually know what to put on here.... more..

Writing
Lost Lost

A Poem by S.J. Holmes


Suicide Suicide

A Poem by S.J. Holmes