Prologue - Spring

Prologue - Spring

A Chapter by Alice
"

Emily Rose Jackson begins to reflect on how her life has changed over the past year

"

SPRING

It was a glorious day in early Spring as we stood in the graveyard at St Sophia's. For over a hundred years the souls of the departed had looked on as every new generation had joined them in eternal rest. The rain and hail that had battered the town of Yewell in past weeks had abated at last. The sun had returned, chasing away the last remnants of Winter. Wispy clouds floated above in a cyan sky, while a pair of frisky squirrels scampered hither and yon over the grass. The chestnut trees in full bloom, and a clattering of jackdaws gave voice, an accompanying chorus to our gathering at the graveside.

Today was the end of a very long year. Outwardly, I was the same Emily Rose Jackson I had always been; petite figure, shoulder length dyed blonde hair, amber eyes. But the inside-me had grown up.

Aunt Jen had fought a long and brave battle, and I had supported her all the way. So had my best friend, Dolly. Now the time had come, to bid the final farewell; the oak casket holding her ashes was lowered softly into the open grave. Aunt Jen had found peace at last, and rejoined Uncle Lewis, the love of her life. I too had found love this past year, my soulmate, whom I had nearly lost. That memory made me shudder involuntarily.

As we lowered our heads for the prayer of St Francis of Assisi he kissed my hand where it rested on his shoulder. Were it not for the accident he would be standing tall at my side, but that day would come.

'For it is in giving that we receive;

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;

and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.'

Aunt Jen had believed in these words, was still counselling us from the ever after.

When we affirmed 'Amen' our eyes caressed each other and I knew that the fates had conspired to bring about our union. Aunt Jen had been right; when God closes a door, he opens a window.



© 2015 Alice


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on September 9, 2015
Last Updated on November 4, 2015


Author

Alice
Alice

Barry, Wales, United Kingdom



About
I have always enjoyed writing and used to write stories for my daughter when she was little. Now she is writing a fantasy novel. I can't enter a novel competition though. It would not be fair if I.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Alice


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Alice


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Alice