Random 2

Random 2

A Story by insertquotehere
"

Another story I wrote for r/writingprompts

"
“Could you pass the butter?”

Is this all I was created for?

“Carl, could you pass the butter, please?” said my mother incessantly.

“Oh, of course.” I handed her the butter, but I was still stuck in my head. I couldn’t shake what had happened two nights ago. I was driving home from a concert a city over; outside of my high beams the world was drained of light, except for the occasional car, as I drove along the highway. I had soft music playing, but I was wide awake from the rush of energy that I gained from the crowd at the concert.

Then it was nothing but light, I couldn’t see the road; I couldn’t even see the ground below the car, just white. My music stopped and then there was a soft hum coming from the speakers in my car; my eyes started to feel heavy and my body started to feel numb, then everything went dark. When I awoke, I was on a table and I couldn’t move my body.

“Quen lur ching bar?” said something to my side.

I looked over and I saw a translucent man; my eyes grew wide, there were shining lights all throughout the man’s body. He was messing with some weird liquid and a screen above it showed a body. I looked around and the whole room was almost a conservatory for flowing water, with random trees and flowers planted around the room. There were other translucents there as well walking back and forth to other fountains with screens. One that looked female with crystal clear hair approached me and looked down at my face.

“Hon lo fod dun lur konwur.”

“Wha-What?” I replied. She leaned in closer.

“I apologize for this, just give us a moment and it will soon be over.” She spoke in perfect English.

“Me? Over? Please. No. Don’t kill me!”

“You misunderstand; we are simply downloading your memories of your life so far. We do that with all of our children.” She said with a slight smile; I assume trying to be comforting.

“Tarna, Yur mem lur sor dun.” Said the translucent who had been messing with the water nearest me to. The woman looked at him and then back to me.

“They’re ready to erase your memory of this and return you, but I have more planned for you than just this. I want you to remember; I will see you again.” This time she was truly smiling, before I could say anything she started talking with the man to my side. He started to mess with the water and then darkness took over once more.

I woke back in my car parked on the side of the road; the soft music I had on was still playing in the exact same spot I had had it when I saw the white light. Many thoughts raced through my head in that moment, but for some reason I just stopped thinking and started crying.

“Could you pass the butter?”

Is this all I was created for?

“Carl, Could you pass the butter, please?” said my mother incessantly.

“Oh, of course.” I handed her the butter, but I was still stuck in my head.

Laying in my bed my mind was a mess of thoughts, with me just trying to wrest one at a time. She said that they did the memory download to all their children. Children? As in we came from them? It all was way too much to take in. I wrestled with my blankets in the dark, trying to find the most comfortable spot to lay. My eyes were flipped open by a strange green glow, emanating from the crack at the bottom of my bedroom closet door. 

I got out of bed and half-heartedly went to the door; I laid upon the floor looking under the door, only to see nothing but green light. I started to hear a faint female voice singing from behind the door. I got up, sighed and slowly turned the knob. I was greeted with the sight of the most beautiful arrangement of plants, flowers and trees I had ever seen; some I didn’t even recognize. There was a path before me of trodden dirt leading down to the center of this surreal garden.

The music grew louder and clearer; I could hear the soft plucking of a harp and the beautiful voice accompanying it. I turned a corner on the path revealing an alcove with a fountain spouting water with a moat around it containing crystal clear water. Next to the fountain was the translucent woman who had spoken with me last night, sitting in a light grey metallic chair playing the harp. She was beautiful in this moment; she even had a flower wreath she had probably made in her hair. The music stopped and she snapped out of her musical trance to look up at Carl.

“I’m quite fond of mankind’s creative creations. The harp is one of my favorite forms of expression.” She smiled gently as she spoke to him.

“This is my sanctuary; no one will bother us here. I will not harm you, speak freely.” 

“Who are you?” was my first question.

“Me Personally? I am Tarna, part of the Neoshi.”

“What are you doing here?” was my second question.

“We’re checking on our children and their progress. For now, I need you to know, that you’re important to us, humans, everything. You are one of our biological creations and there are many others like you. You’re the only one who has the truth in its grasp right now.” She handed me a small seed in a vial necklace. “Take this, eat it, when the time is right.” I felt my body starting to go numb.

“Wait, why is this happening?” that was my third question, right before I blacked out.

© 2017 insertquotehere


Author's Note

insertquotehere
ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on July 10, 2017
Last Updated on July 10, 2017
Tags: writingprompts, reddit, story, science fiction

Author

insertquotehere
insertquotehere

Overland Park, KS



About
I write occasionally and I'm looking to become more passionate about it. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by insertquotehere