The Depression Experience

The Depression Experience

A Story by Susie

Mum says I’m just tired and need to rest.
Dad says I’m just bored and need a job.
Men say I’m just lonely and need a relationship.
Women say I’m just weak and need a steak.
My friends say I’m just rude and need a social life.
My ex says I’m just difficult and need to become easy.
The church says I’m just lost and need to be redeemed.
Society says I’m just ugly and need a bikini body.
The doctor says I’m just chemically imbalanced and need drugs.
The naturopath says I’m just deficient and need to diet.
The psychologist says I’m just confused and need hypnotherapy.


I say I am “just” tired, bored, lonely, weak, rude, difficult, lost, ugly, chemically imbalanced, deficient and confused… and I need a bullet.

© 2014 Susie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can relate very strongly to this poem. You are very good at both highlighting the torture of depression and calling out society for exacerbating it

Posted 10 Years Ago


Susie

10 Years Ago

Thank you kindly!
This is sharp, witty, honest and raw...i know many will relate with you on this one.

Some people live while following and listening what other have to say about them, while others make their own direction and open the doors for people to follow and get inspire by them.

It does not matter how we look or how disturb is our life, stay away from the bullet and get ready to fight:)

Fight for your dreams and be where you belong, shine like a star because that is what you are!



Posted 10 Years Ago


Susie

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I hope people can relate. Depressing as this poem is, I know tho.. read more
A. Amos

10 Years Ago

I want to see more work from you as I belief in you and your writing...you're most welcome
Miss Susie, the pleasure is mine.

For a story of little words, this packs the punch of a haymaker sent from a weight class extending beyond the bounds of the physically capable, and yet we receive it . . . standing; slightly faltering I must say, but we take it square on the jaw. However, our consciousness remains intact, even slightly improved - all because the haymaker is not sent by a pugnacious brute of unimaginable proportion, but from an experienced human of perceivable reality, and the haymaker itself? It's not a solid mass that expresses physical pain upon impact, no, this haymaker is woven from pain of a different kind; of archaic tears, past torment, and residing repercussions, and a fist formed from the latter passes through the body and hits one in the control centre of emotion, of feeling, of pure sensory compassion - of empathy and understanding . . . and it hurts in a way that makes it all the worse for itself; it's a subtle sensation, only just perceivable yet ever present.

You really hit me hard with this one Susie, I really must say so, and I know you know me not, but to do so to such an extent is usually respectable; requiring skill - and in this case - apparent experience, of which bulks up that haymaker of yours.

Umm, thank you? for this piece I guess; you see, I'm not sure if those two words are wholly appropriate here, but this really dug deep within me - but I hope you uploaded this piece for that precise reason; to connect with those who perhaps have experienced the same (or almost the same) as what you have, or perhaps just to connect with those who understand the pain some of us have the abhorrence of experiencing.

So yes, not "thank you" . . . more, "chin up" perhaps?

I would greatly apprichiate it if I was honored with the acceptance of a friend request I shall send, in order to read more of your works as soon as they appear.

So . . . chin up Susie!

Timothy.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Susie

10 Years Ago

Well, this review made me smile! Haha
Why, thank you Timothy!!!!!! I write from experience, mo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 21, 2014
Last Updated on March 21, 2014
Tags: depression, mental, illness, lost, ugly, suicide

Author

Susie
Susie

Adelaide, Australia



About
Twenty years old Twenty years young more..

Writing
Hopelessness Hopelessness

A Story by Susie