Serpents And Wolves

Serpents And Wolves

A Story by Suzy Hazelwood
"

Flash Fiction

"




She had wrestled with many a serpent that wrapped their slinky body around hers, tightening the grip for death, squeezing every drop of life from her.  And each time escape appeared by a slim chance, luck was there in the moment.  And there were wolves too, with voices oozing charm, dressed in style, in the woolly warmness of sheep; but hungry dogs, dribbling, waiting impatiently to devour a good meal.  She learned to run from them all, breathless, wide-eyed, heart pounding within the chase.


They wanted life, her life, desiring the beautiful things.  Needing to be full of the good within her, to enable them to shine, as she did.

But in these untrustworthy days, change has come, she scans the world with new eyes.  Now the living dead can only afford to hiss and growl in the dark.  Not once will they get close enough, to lick the salt and taste how delicious she is.  Not close enough, to hold on and wring her dry.

She sees them coming now, even before the day dawns.  She hears their mischievous desires moan and rumble like distant thunder on a cool breeze.  It is always the same, as each one approaches; a cheesy grin, the freak in disguise, with its deep inhale of breath, ready to spin the hallucinogenic tale of their lives.

Their blatant nakedness wants to make her break out in a girlie giggle.  But she holds it in, stops it with a little finger against her lip. Shines a sophisticated womanly smile, and asks quietly, “Who are you?”  Then turns her back, walks far away.  Never looking behind, not even a thought of it.  No fighting, no running.  And her heart remains quiet within.

Three words - and they are nothing.  Ignored, to complete disintegration.  Those mutants who prowl, to destroy her beautiful world.  Slain with a question they can never answer.  For even they do not know who they are.

Her light shines, just a little brighter.

Life goes on - life lives in her.

© 2015 Suzy Hazelwood


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well-crafted, it gives the reader an intense ride, but as flash fiction often is, it's not quite a whole mouthful. I'm always mindful of word repetition in my own work, so want to point out that, in the first paragraph, you begin two sentences in a row with "and". Please know that my comments are meant to be constructive, and are done with no intended malice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Yes I know, this is an old piece of mine (written nearly three years ago) it probably needs a comple.. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I know exactly what you, my having old works that need tune-ups, also.



Reviews

Well-crafted, it gives the reader an intense ride, but as flash fiction often is, it's not quite a whole mouthful. I'm always mindful of word repetition in my own work, so want to point out that, in the first paragraph, you begin two sentences in a row with "and". Please know that my comments are meant to be constructive, and are done with no intended malice.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Yes I know, this is an old piece of mine (written nearly three years ago) it probably needs a comple.. read more
Samuel Dickens

8 Years Ago

I know exactly what you, my having old works that need tune-ups, also.
Such a marvelous flash story! I am truly empowered by the protagonist who chooses light over darkness every time, who keeps on living over just surviving or dying, who challenges her enemies and never gives in to their grimness and their attempts to suck on her light and positive energy. It's this feeling within, when found, can never be broken.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Nadia!! Oh yes, I've learned some hard lessons about others sucking the light out.. read more
Great writing from the 'muse'!:-)
Definitely more, Suzy, but only if it weren't flash fiction. For this genre, it's just perfect.
'Their blatant nakedness' till the end is beautifully put in words.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much Blossom! This should be a novel really, flash fiction probably leaves the reade.. read more
Story telling is the art of using words to transform reality and transport people into a mental image of a new reality and that is what you have done. Many a short story starts its life as just a few lines and over time grows into a full fledged novel, I can see that potentially happening here. It will interesting to see where your talents take you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Short stories can certainly give us ideas we would never think of otherwise. I have written a novel.. read more
Bear

8 Years Ago

What better way to expand your writing talent than trying new form and styles. I spent year playing .. read more
This is pretty cool, I like it very much. Very esoteric. Great imagery. Kept me engaged. Especially like the self assured ending, positive and dramatic.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much Valormore, that's very encouraging!! :o)
I really like your portrayal of snakes and wolves in sheep cloth. I think the comparison has been made alot but the way you explained and detailed them i think it added a new light to them. I would have loved to know more about her, but really like the piece over all. Great Job fitting such a complex story and view point in to something so short and lively. Something i have yet to master.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

It's interesting you said you would have loved to know more about her, because that's what I'm left .. read more
Something about "had" takes me out of a story quickly. I understand past tense but three "had"s in the first paragraph put me off. The rest of the story moved briskly "had" free.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Generally I don't read what I dislike, unless I am asked to by some person posting a story to get th.. read more
Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

I know the difference between the passive and active voice, as do most writers, no need for demonstr.. read more
Delmar Cooper

8 Years Ago

Oh, okay then.
People would much rather garner negative attention than to be ignored. A nice piece of flash fiction. There does seem to be an issue with the last line.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Yes, some would be content with any attention - ha, not me, I'd rather have no attention than the wr.. read more
Roland Petrov

8 Years Ago

The " didn't help, but it's perfectly readable now (though personally I'd have made two sentences ou.. read more
Suzy Hazelwood

8 Years Ago

Have made two separate sentences at the end. I did wonder if leaving them together made it less obv.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

570 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 22, 2015
Last Updated on May 25, 2015
Tags: wolves, fantasy, serpent, truth, lies, deceit, deception, liar, flash fiction, light, live

Author

Suzy Hazelwood
Suzy Hazelwood

United Kingdom



About
Writer of poetry, short stories and blogger on WordPress and Tumblr. Also editor of a free online literary magazine ➬ thewritinggarden.wordpress.com Find Me On Twitter ➬ https://twi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sex Kills. Sex Kills.

A Story by Woody