A Midnight's Dream

A Midnight's Dream

A Chapter by Jordan Wilson
"

the first chapter in a dark tale that I haven't quite figured out yet

"

 The depth of insanity

 

 

                    Prologue

 

 

He sits in the window that was hers, this very spot, he could feel her presence here the most. Always here.

Emma her long auburn hair flowing down her  delicate shoulder, green eyes shining in the  passenger seat as he drives, laughing, carefree,  young and in love, married just shy of a year big  bright future planned out.

 

With a heavy sigh and a slight grunt he leaned  forward and snubbed his cigarette out on the  window sill and with a whispered curse slowly  turns his wheelchair around to face the desk.

Catching the floor lamp in the process.

“two years, two God Damned years! And I'm still not used to this thing.” he thinks to himself as he  twirls around back to his desk, leaving the lamp  on the floor without a second though. Becoming  increasingly irate with the situation.

“what the hell! am I supposed to do now?” he says looking up as the smoke alarm continues to beep directly above his head.

Incessantly...over...and over...and over....again.


 

                  Chapter 1

              A Midnight's Dream

August 15, 2014.

Its a perfectly normal sunny blue skied day as  Emma and Joel pull out of their little suburban  home to go about their business.

Emma a young teacher fresh in her first year of  middle school chemistry. 

A fiery spirited young woman with a heart of gold.

 

Joel, a 6ft brown hair, gray eyed, mildly  successful author with high hopes of publishing  his first three hundred page novel, a tragic tale of mystery and  deceit that he was still struggling to find an ending to.

But was confident he would do so in time.

 

Today the happy couple are on their way for a  little vacation.

Emma has been away on field trips and the yearly teachers convention as Joel has been deep in research for his latest undertaking.

It seems they have not been together in months, so happy gladly singing along to “the breeders”  which was their band.

Mere minutes away from their destination at the  quaint Bed and Breakfast not quite midway up the mountain, Joel’s life will change forever.

 

As he rides the last curve to their destination at a  cool 55mph, it happens, a loud but familiar  SNAP! In his skull 

that he hadn't heard in almost two years. “oh no!” he manages to think before the convulsions start  and everything goes black.


January 9th 2005. 

“Mr Hendrix I am afraid you are epileptic quite  definitively.”

“what? How in the hell, I've never, my family's  never” Joel manages to stutter.

“Unfortunately epilepsy is not something that is  based off 

of family history, quite frankly Mr Hendrix it can strike anyone, anywhere, anytime, fact is we  simply don't know enough about it from a medical standpoint.”

“at this point there appears to be nothing abnormal in your C/T scans, therefore I have no choice but  to diagnose you with idiopathic epilepsy, which in lame-mans terms means you are epileptic but we don't  know why.

I am afraid I will have to pull your license for  awhile as well, we cannot have you driving  around having fits, once you are six months  without one we can see about getting it back.”

 

A short while later he finds himself in his stupor  outside the hospital silently crying on the bench  thoroughly defeated in a pit of sorrow.

He finally summons the strength to stand light a  smoke and trudge his way down the street to the  local watering hole to drown his fears.


October 20th 2010.

She was standing by the bar patiently waiting for him he thought, every few minutes she would  glance his way, he caught her eyes a couple times and of course smiled right back. She was gorgeous how could he not? They had seen each other  around campus and chit chatted before. No big  deal right? But oh how the mind plays tricks. The onset of love, such an interesting thing to behold, like a subtle game that grows with passion and  time.

Eventually he musters the courage to do what his heart keeps telling him he must.........walk up to  her and say hello.

 

As he gets closer and closer he notices, somethings off.

With each step the young beauties skin seems to  droop and gray, the lustrous mane of hair turns  thin and wispy as with age, ten feet away her face, once beautiful, without a wrinkle or blemish, was now sunken and hollow lips thin with death.

But one thing was still there. Her green eyes.

“shoot for the stars my bird.” the thin lips rasp as

Joel awakens with a scream! startled, heart racing, covered in a thick sheen of perspiration, “Em?  Emma is that you?” he yells desperately.

he instinctively went to throw his legs over the  side of the bed to raise up....they didn't move.

 

It all comes flooding back, like almost every night.

Waking up in the S.U.V. 

Emma against the door.

Himself with the dash in his lap and a strange  numb feeling in his legs.


October 20th 2010.

She was standing by the bar patiently waiting for him he thought, every few minutes she would glance his way, he caught her eyes a couple times and of course smiled right back. She was gorgeous how could he not? They had seen each other around campus and chit chatted before. No big deal right? But oh how the mind plays tricks. The onset of love, such an interesting thing to behold, like a subtle game that grows with passion and time.

Eventually he musters the courage to do what his heart keeps telling him he must.........walk up to her and say hello.

 

As he gets closer and closer he notices, somethings off.

With each step the young beauties skin seems to droop and gray, the lustrous mane of hair turns thin and wispy as with age, ten feet away her face, once beautiful, without a wrinkle or blemish, was now sunken and hollow lips thin with death.

But one thing was still there. Her green eyes.

“shoot for the stars my bird.” the thin lips rasp as

Joel awakens with a scream! startled, heart racing, covered in a thick sheen of perspiration, “Em? Emma is that you?” he yells desperately.

he instinctively went to throw his legs over the side of the bed to raise up....they didn't move.

 

It all comes flooding back, like almost every night.

Waking up in the S.U.V. 

Emma against the door.

Himself with the dash in his lap and a strange numb feeling in his legs.

7 a.m. No getting dressed, no shower, no brushing of the teeth.

He rolls through the living area of their house straight to the bourbon cabinet in the corner of the study rolling right past the stark white picture window in the center of the back wall. 

First drink of the day is always the best to somebody like Joel he downs it with his first barbiturate hoping today will be “fit free”. “Guess we will find out.” he chuckles. 

Turning around to the Mac sitting on his desk, So deep in his own guilt and despair that he may never see the light of day again.

 

Today he must try to write at least a few pages money is drying up, and his publisher is on his back for the next “great Hendrix title” as Jimmy likes to call it he had been given a month for one chapter, the deadline was next week. “last minute as usual, late to my own funeral mom always said.”

He lazily opens his word program and stares at it lost for where to begin, when he notices the first Beep! Ring out from the smoke detector above his head. 

He pays no mind to it simply taking a drag off of his cigarette and continuing on.

A few minutes go by and another beep! comes chirping from the detector slightly annoyed he looks up and blows a deep sigh.

Silently he starts to fall into his writing state of mind, slowly writing at first but warming up until his typing became a frenzied clatter on the key board.

As long as he worked he could block out the  world.

So he sat, drank bourbon and smoked his Lucky like he tells himself all other authors do, and he wrote.

 

He wrote about his life, the things he loved, the things he hated, the things he would never see again, the things he missed the most.

He wrote just to write, nothing useful or really narrative worthy, just words to bleed his soul onto the paper and maybe get by another day.

Without even thinking he pops the bottle for his second bourbon dry by 9 o'clock.

Sparks another smoke spins his chair around and glides to the picture window that over looks the flower beds in the back yard. He always ended up by the window at least a few hours a day.

This was Emma’s favorite room in the house, she loved to watch the sunset from there and curl up in the sill with a favorite book this was her library after all, her place of solitude.

After the accident, it became his.

He ate here, he drank here, he wrote here, hell sometimes he passed right out in his chair, this was where he felt her most. 

Now if the presence he felt or not was real is a matter of opinion he had been told by several therapists that he has PTSD and these voices could just be flashbacks from what happened, How our minds do love to play tricks on us and what not.

But he refused! to believe that, she was here and he was sure of it, just as the wind was blowing through the trees outside, she was here.


By 10 o'clock he was successfully buzzed and stooped over his Mac deep into writing mode he was at about two dozen pages now only a third of  which was anywhere usable, but he didn't care, he had written, for the first time in a long time he had written.

 

By 10:30 Presley and Angela where entering the house with the weeks groceries and the bourbon “don't forget the damn bourbon” Joel always shouts.

 

Angela: Emma's best friend through high school and probably the only thing close enough to call a friend he had left, other then the Sheriff, 

she was a curvaceous woman, sandy brown hair, dark chocolaty eyes.

At 32 years old, 5’6 she was a sight to see, a spitfire of a woman with the mouth to prove it. A registered in home nurse she was more then equipped to help Joel....when he would let her that is.

Then there was her husband Presley: young man 30 years old, midsize build, ex military medic who went on to be a nurse, at 5’10 sandy blonde hair and blue eyes, still retaining most of his military muscle. 

Joel didn't much care for Presley and he got the slight feeling that it was mutual.

Together Angela and Presley run a complete home health service, Presley does the heavy lifting and yard work and Angela takes care of the people, med’s, baths etc.

So being Joel knows them he reluctantly accepts  their help.


They enter the door arms full of bags brown and plastic,

“Hey Joel! We’re here!” yells Angela.

“wonderful” he mumbles to himself, spinning his chair to roll towards the window.

As he turns he notices what appears to be a small nightingale sitting on the ledge of the open window slowly looking at him, almost inspecting him, he pauses in his push, the bird c***s its head to one side lets out a soft musical note and as he continues to the sill, fly's off with out a whisper of sound.

“Aren't nightingales only supposed to sing at night.” shrugging it off he closes the window and continues on to the kitchen to deal with Presley and Angela.

 

Rolling his way into the kitchen he sees Angela putting the groceries away in the fridge all on the bottom shelves so he can reach he notices, Presley walks straight past with the bourbon to put into the cabinet in the study. 

“Hey there Jo, how are you today bud?” asks Angela, Joel responds with little more then a grunt, “ah one of those days I see” she says, “have you had your pills this morning?” she asks. 

“yes” Joel responds in almost a growl, sometimes her voice grated him the wrong way and he didn't rightly know why.

 

He goes to the fridge grabs a bottle of water and some fresh ice for his drink in the study and continues on his way, he was just about out the door when Angela said “you remember we wont be here for the rest of the week right?” 

“Yes” he says even though he had no idea what she was talking about.


“OK, we will be back Sunday morning, (Beep!) the Sheriff is going to come check on you either Thursday or Friday whichever is better for her, (Beep! His eye ticked just a tad.)  and Please! For Gods sake! Do not drink a bunch of booze” she says. (Beep! louder.)

“OK! He Growls only half listening to anything coming from her mouth, he just wanted to be left alone in the study, in peace.

But Joel was about to have anything but a peaceful week.


END CHAPTER.











 



© 2016 Jordan Wilson


Author's Note

Jordan Wilson
please keep in mind this is all first draft ideas

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

As a King-Fan I kinda feel at home with that, I can assure you that. A writer, a traumatic event, strange birds doing strange things, well, what can I say, this is King-land. There are good ideas in it. I liked the part on writing and how he drinks and thinks that every writer does it the same way, for example. I think you have to edit it a bit, but you've already said that this is a first draft. The beginning of the first chapter might be a bit clumsy. You introduced Emma by saying that she has a "heart of gold", which I find fair enough, but maybe you should rather show it than just telling it, if you know, what I mean. But I liked it, please continue.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jordan Wilson

8 Years Ago

thank you very much for the insight, yes king is one of my favorite authors and I love that genre of.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
1 Review
Added on February 29, 2016
Last Updated on February 29, 2016
Tags: books, stephenking, insanity, fiction


Author

Jordan Wilson
Jordan Wilson

Bowling Green, KY



About
Just a young 25 year old man, with a passion for literature. Currently writing my first novella, want to use this place for tips, help and practice. more..

Writing