The Insomniac Astronaut

The Insomniac Astronaut

A Story by Syd Warburton

I waste away under the glow of a thousand suns. The river of time has become ash. On it's current I cannot stay.
I begin to drift off into a weird and wonderful dream of traveling on a spaceship that's thrust weaves magnificent shades and patterns of purple, green, and crimson across the cosmos. On a strange red planet I meet gray scale space women wearing only fishbowl helmets and scanty bikinis. Their ample bosoms bouncing freely in the low gravity. For the first time in many nights I feel a calm desire to stay and to belong. But I am snapped out of this blissful lull by the arrival of a second ship.
Out of a sinister cylinder come streaming out like fire ants the most horrible creatures I have laid eyes on. They are large three eyed abominations writhing in tentacles tipped with the talons of eagles.Their legs are like huge, leathery trees; the toes of which seem to tendril out into the land with each menacing step.
Within seconds they are upon the gray scale space women, devouring them whole. It is a terrifying, depressing sight and I am inclined to help the poor defenseless space women. But alas, I realize I can do little against these monsters. 
So stealthily and deliberately I retreat back to my ship. I am less than half way there before I realize I am completely surrounded. They gather in a circle around me not more the twenty feet away. I can see in agonizing detail the eagle like talons they used to snatch up the space women, still dripping with their innocent blood. As they move nearer I can see that these creature have translucent skulls. In the center of each dance phantoms and whispers of light. I imagine each specter of light to be another malicious thought.
 Nearer still and they open there mouths revealing many rows of rusty railroad spikes. I can feel the gaze of a thousand pulsating blood shot eyes. They raise their bloody talons and mouths widen and curl. Almost like a sick, twisted parody of a child's smile. Mere feet away I desperately close my eyes. I can smell their breaths. It is the smell of death, decay, darkness, and the ancient void.
Certain the end is near I open my eyes just as the tip of the first monsters claws pierces my skin.
I am awake. Sitting on the couch, remote still in hand. I feel like I have lived a thousand years, but the clock on the wall claims less than five minutes have passed since I began my misadventure. Hastily I change the channel. And though the clock also claims its only 3 AM, I decide to give up on sleep that night.

© 2011 Syd Warburton


Author's Note

Syd Warburton
Let me know what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on September 12, 2011
Last Updated on September 12, 2011

Author

Syd Warburton
Syd Warburton

San Jose, CA



Writing
I Wish I Wish

A Poem by Syd Warburton