D is for Dad, D is for Deed

D is for Dad, D is for Deed

A Poem by C.T. Bailey
"

Dedicated to my Step Father on his Birthday...

"

 

A father is not just blood related;
Neither is he just a family delegate;
A father is defined by his many deeds;
His work for a boy who had so many needs.
 
While there be many who might well dispute;
That a dad, is a dad only by his paternal root;
They have never walked in a certain boy’s shoes;
Says I, sternly of their very narrow views.
 
Recalling affections shown through his effort;
Discipline and teaching he did exhort;
School projects and campouts never failing;
His patience in my driving ever prevailing.
 
Through thick and thin he ensured success;
In a boy who to many seemed so useless;
And now I, a fully grown man this day;
With heartfelt thanks, my gratitude I convey.
 
Giving proof that my lessons I did not spurn;
To my son I grant years of wisdom learned;
So from your hands the message was received;
The generations remember your work achieved.
 
TBailey 7 July 2008

 

© 2008 C.T. Bailey


Author's Note

C.T. Bailey
A simple poem for someone who took care of me through the years. Not intended to be a masterpiece...only an expression from the heart.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

And heartfelt it is. Very well written too.
It is so true that what makes a 'dad' is so much more than just a blood link. It is his deeds that truly makes him a dad. You expressed it just right. The perfect amount of emotion without seeming corny.
One thing... 'thru'... don't know if it was intentional or not but I would use 'through'. I am just picky like that. Doesn't in anyway take away from the overall excellent poem.
Very nicely done!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Yes, yes, very heartfelt and therefore a masterpeice!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Beautifully written poem.

It is sad that too many of us must look back to really appreciate our father. Mine showed his affection by working and providing, but very rarely with personal attention. It's so important that we pass on what we've learned and add our own improvements. You expressed this well.

I wrote about my grandfather in "Walt" and about being a grand(father) in "Unconditional Love" if you have the time or interest. Thanks for reading and commenting on my recent mountaintop inspiration.

papaed

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Masterpieces from the heart are the ones that truly touch us as the readers,
and this touched me. Coming from a broken family such as I have, well,
this is something very precious that you and only you can share with your
dad:). AD

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this was a wonderful tribute to your step father...splendidly written, so uplifting for all step fathers you wrote this, those loving ones.. love your personality and writing, you are a dear friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

And a true father he was...a wonderful expression of love returned to one who mentored you..and then passed on the tradition...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a great way to acknowledge your step father. It is a rare and noble man indeed who would take on the job, as it were. For it could not be easy.
I would say, in the world we live in, there are more stepfathers than back in the day. And, like the biological ones, their parenting skills run the spectrum.
At any rate, this poem had a nice rhythm and structure, and I suppose your father must be very proud of your outcome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I cried..this poem touched my heart so much....it was as if you knew my love for my dad and were speaking my feeling as well. I lost my dad 5 years ago...he was 1000 miles away when he died suddenly...and I hadn't the chance to hug him and tell him I loved him one last time. But he knew...I told him often...but we never can thank them enough can we? I loved it ...I love it..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah, but it is a masterpiece. It is a very loving masterpiece of emotional truth. How beautiful and how lucky the two of you have each other. This was pleasurable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah, quite the sentimental piece. I'm sure your step-dad loved it. I'm impressed that you could adhere to such a rigid rhyme scheme. There were times when your sentiments felt a little forced and manipulated by that scheme, but you managed to pull it off pretty well.

I have a bit of critique though: two of the words you use don't really fit what I think you're trying to say. The first is the word "relegated" - that word actually means "to banish or exile," which I don't think is what you meant by the line. "Related" maybe? The second word is "insure" - this is a simple mixup: "insure" means to insure someone with, for example, life insurance. The word you're looking for is the similar sounding "ensure." :-) It's an easy mistake to make.

Good job on this - your emotions really carry through.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a beautiful, heartfelt poem Todd, I enjoyed it. I did notice something that I know from experience should be re-worded. Instead of "a boy that" use a boy "who" because "that" is used for an inanimate object, and "who" is used for a person.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2008
Last Updated on July 11, 2008

Author

C.T. Bailey
C.T. Bailey

Bristol, VA



About
C.T. Bailey has authored a number of professional articles which have been published in various industry trade publications. He is also an award-winning and published writer of poetry, prose, and fic.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..