Justice Part 1

Justice Part 1

A Story by Freedomwriter97
"

A young black man who finds himself fighting to redeem his deceased Mother-in-laws name as one of the first black lawyer in the court room.

"

                                                                            

Henry Troy Jackson, these kids have been waiting all day to hear one of your stories can you please tell them one to get them out of my hair, okay baby. Kid’s gather about ten years ago I was accepted in to Yarvard University and in late 1940’s, and many did not take kind to a black man getting accepted. When I was just nineteen years old I remember it like it was yesterday my mother’s tears as my step father drove off leaving me to the beginning of my manhood. At that moment I thought I was free, but my personal Hell just began. A couple days later as I walking to my dorm I was stopped by this man with a leather jacket on and ripped faded blue jeans and a half way burned out cigarette in his mouth.

                

He pushed me against the wall and said “What are you doing her darkey; you must think your something good being here with all us white people.” “But, listen here colored boy you never going to be like us your nothing.” Then he spit out his cigarette on my new shirt and through me on the ground. So, holding back tears I picked myself up and went back to my dorm room. When I got there I took off my now dingy shirt and went to bed. I dreamt of my mother Margret and my father Henry Jackson Sr., and last but not least my beloved Miss Honey she was my first and maybe even my last love.

                 

I remember her light caramel skin, her long brown curly hair, and her voice just so sweet almost of that of an angel, and how she walked her hips swung from left to right with attitude. I thought no one could ever compare to my Miss Honey. Then suddenly my alarm sounded, and it was time for my first class of the day. So, I got up and got dressed and ran outside, but I couldn’t find my bike so I panic until I heard a familiar voice say look behind you negro. To my surprise, I saw my bike on the side walk in many pieces, then I ran and yelled no how am I going to get to class now. The man from yesterday walled up to me in self pity and he said “poor baby I guess you’re going to be late.” Then I stood up and said listen here whi… then he interrupted “what are you bout to say.”

               

  I continued “I am tired of your crap you don’t hold your tongue with me you bigot, I’m going to call you bigot for now on or can I call you something else maybe whitey or crac……” then everything went black from there. All I remember was not showing up for my class, because I was admitted he campus hospital. The hilarious thing about that whole thing I was the one blamed of course me the victim no. But, all I could think about was Miss Honey her beautiful soft hair and her voice that beautiful voice. Then I woke up and to my surprise by my side was the most beautiful woman I ever seen in my life she had deep dark brown eyes, dark brown hair, and the brightest smile. After I got a good look at her I asked “I am I in heaven?”

               

                

She replied “no sweetie your at the hospital you suffered from a minor concussion I go to school here I thought I was the only colored person here I am an intern in this building and..." Then I replied wait colored woman.”Then she put her head down and she said “oh that’s not what I meant you’re not a. So I interrupted “ma’am what’s your name. She looked at me with those beautiful brown eyes and said “My name is Barbra…. Barbra Jenkins. Then I said Miss Jenkins just rolls off the tongue, how would you like to go with me to dinner how bout this Friday night at 8:00. She replied I’ll like that. From then on out I believe maybe bad thing can turn out good.

 

              

  After a couple of dates I thought things were getting serious. On one occasion I dressed up my best for Miss. Jenkins like I haven’t before. I wore my best tie and my best sweater vest I was given to for my 18 birthday. I remember that day well, my eyes lit up when I first saw that sweater and its handsome design its cotton finish those couple minutes made day even better.  The moment when I tied my bow tie I knew I was ready to wow Miss Jenkins with my nifty wear. When arrived at our place or meeting all my nerves struck I thought what if she is in it with the bigot, or if she have forgotten by now about our special in my mind date.

                

Nevertheless, she knocked on my dorm door with the most elegant dress I have ever seen in my life, I was awestruck when her beautiful lips formed into a smile revealing those perfectly white teeth. I just knew then I was a lucky man to have Barbra Jenkins by my side.  The words she spoke to me at that time let me tell you they stuck to my heart like glue. “So, tell me this Henry are you going to waste my time cause  I’m not the type woman to be toyed with she said as she paced around me very so sly like.

               

“Will you be like most men and use me and throw me away?” After she said that my heart started racing and with passion I replied “Miss Jenkins, can I call you that, you haven’t been with a true man till you been with me, I guarantee you I will treat you like the queen you are. “ I promise I will never use you and just through you away.” I gracefully picked up her hand and kissed it and said gently may I lead the way.”

               

  When we arrived and sat in our proper seats I knew the night would be just right. Until, the bigot showed up drunk and went directly to our table looked at Miss Jenkins and said “why don’t you just leave with this negro and come back to my house so I can show you what a real man can do.” Then without even having a second thought I stood up and said “no you don’t talk to a woman that way and you defiantly don’t disrespect me that way.” Then he barked back “who do you think you’re talking to darkey, I can please my women and I can please your women too, and you can’t do anything about it.

                

Although, I truly desired to punch him Miss Jenkins told me to come with her and she left with me. Instead we went to her apartment and when she opened the door and we sat down together she burst out in tears. When I asked her what was wrong and she explained that he was the son of the man who raped and killed her mother ten years ago.

                


After she explained this I held her and asked if she did you know if was he still living and she replied he went to high school with her and he used to sexually harass her until one day she was walking down a dark alley the summer of his twelfth grade year. He came out of nowhere and knocked her down on the ground and whispered in her ear we’re are not in school anymore and he raped her. She continued a couple months later she was born and several years later when he fell in love he had to have one of them killed, because she was making it hard for him to get married since his family told him he couldn't have any children outside of marriage.

                

So, he tried to have Miss Jenkins killed but Mrs. Jenkins said that she wanted them to kill her instead.  After she said that she looks up at the ceiling and said she was so blessed to be alive. After hearing that was puzzled and said “that is horrible and said that means you’re related to that little bigot.”Then she replied “yes, but he doesn’t know that, his name is Gregory James Kingly Jr.” With no reflex I said “I guarantee you that I will have put him in jail personally, no matter who he is, he does not deserve to live freely.” She then with tears in her eyes replied “Henry, you would do that for me, how, I mean you know how you’re a black man and there is no such thing as black lawyers, how in the world are you going to do this.”

                

Then I grabbed her hand then brought it up to my lips to kiss it and replied, I am currently studying law, and I am going to become a lawyer and I won’t rest till I prove him guilty.” Then she scooted closer and leaned in to kiss me a can tell you that was a gift from heaven. I knew just from that one kiss that had to accomplish this, and if I did not I would not only let Miss. Jenkins down, but also myself and the future black community.

                 

I knocked on Miss. Jenkins door just as happy as ever with a dozen daisies which I handpicked of course, because flowers were extremely costly. When she answered the door she seemed slightly depressed. So, after she invited me end I gave her the flowers and as I sat on her couch with her. I said “Miss Jenkins you don’t seem like yourself, is there something wrong,” She then replied looking down uh I was thinking about what happened last night, then I interrupted you mean the kiss.

               

  Suddenly, she paused and looked down at her hands with a smile, replied maybe and looked up at me, slightly amused at my confusion. So, I replied well I really wasn’t thinking about it pointing to the flowers I gave her. Then we laughed, and she scooted closer to me just as she did when we shared our first kiss, and laid her head on my shoulder and said gently, that was not the only thing I was thinking about from last night, remember the talk we had, then again interrupting I said how can I forget my love.”

                 

Then she lifted her head up from my shoulder in astonishment and said “you just called me love.” Without even thinking I just said “Miss. Jenkins I came over here to ask you to ask you to be my girlfriend ,” then she smile as replied “Mr. Jackson I was wondering when you were going to ask me, yes.” Then she laid her head back on my shoulder and we talked and talked until we just fell asleep on the couch together.

                

When we woke up to my surprise I was late to class so yelled "No" I grabbed my jacket and told Miss. Jenkins I have to see you later. Then I dotted out of her house faster than a spring chicken. As, I sneaked into my classroom to take my seat I felt the whole class eyes following me. Then the instructor said sarcastically “Mr. Jackson, I'm surprised you weren’t on time please take a seat." Then the class laughed uncontrollably, so feeling embarrassed I said “it want happen again.”

                

The instructor continued as you all Know our Dean Gregory Kingly then my mind paused, and I thought to myself that’s the man who raped and killed my girlfriend mother. So, I ignorantly shouted “who” the instructor looked at me, and he said with the most twang in his voice "if you would let me finish boy maybe you can find out." I replied “now sir you don’t have to disrespect me like that I am a person too and I have a right to know about the issues of the school as much as a white man does, after all my grades was good enough to get in so can you say that again boy.”

                

Then the whole class got silent, and stared at me then I said “and to all of you all you act as if  you haven’t been late before, or is it that I’m not supposed to be here cause I’m a colored boy, well you have to get used to it.” Then Gregory Jr without even looking back yelled “sit your butt down boy before you get yourself kicked out.”  As, he turned around and walked towards me he said “Don’t you every interrupt anyone when there speaking of my father the man who even let your kind in Yarverd so you better be grateful.”

                

I then stood there and looked that excuse for a person in the eyes and sat down as he walked away I through my pencil at back of his head. Then I said” I am very grateful to be in this school I’m just tired of bigots like you bringing the black man down, killing our men and raping our women or doing both just like our dean to Mrs. Jenkins.” “See I did my homework, she used to work as a cleaning lady at the school till she disappeared about ten years ago, her daughter always said that he would always follow her home from school just to make an opportunity to ask her about her mother .” “But, every time her Step- father would grab her by the hand and take her in the house”

                

So, he felt that he had to get rid of her husband, and he did he had him hung for supposedly raping his betrothed. Then later at night he came over to Mrs. Jenkins and tried to comfort her, but she instead threw her cup of water in his face and told him you had my husband hung, he was a innocent man. But, he then grabbed her, but then looked over at her daughter who was crying right beside her because of all the things that were happening. 

                

Then he said viciously “No, I want your daughter instead” and her cries just grew even louder to the the neighbors begin to to get worried.So, they stepped on their front porch,and  right before that man slit her throat she told me he said I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Then yelled “are you drunk, that’s why he didn’t make it to class on time, I know my father was not the most wholesome man around, but he would have nothing to do with a colored woman, who is her daughter anyway.” So I replied “you really want to know, Gregory, only the woman you have been trying court with yourself, you hypocrite.” In outrage he replied “this is about your little girlfriend, I’m pretty sure my father will win the case if you ever try to bring him to court.” I then said “funny you say that, because I’m going to make sure your father is under the jail for murder and sexual assault.”

                

Thankfully the class time was over that extremely tense class room. My lovely friend Gregory then came up behind me and whispered in my ear “I already don’t take kindly to your…. ugh race. "So, if you want to live a long happy life with your pretty little girlfriend you will drop the case.” He proceeded on trying to look as if he did not just threaten my girlfriend's and I live.

               

  I then, kind of shaken up but not broken,I approached Miss .Jenkins house to talk to her about what I announced to the class. However, when I knocked on her door she grabbed me by my neck with tears pouring down her face it heavily pressed against my shoulder. So, I grabbed her by her head and embraced her. We then walked in her house and she we walked over to her couch and sat down. I never saw a woman cry in this matter before, Ms. Jenkins looked up at me and said " no she's dead she's dead." Then with and confused look on my face I asked "who?"  TO BE CONTINUED 

© 2015 Freedomwriter97


Author's Note

Freedomwriter97
This is a long short story so I am going to publish it in two parts. WARNING THIS MAY INCLUDE OFFENSIVE NAMES BECAUSE THE STORY TAKES PLACE WHEN IT WAS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE TO USE THESE SLURS. Please enjoy

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
Added on August 19, 2015
Last Updated on August 20, 2015
Tags: Law, Justice, Henry, Black, Freedom

Author

Freedomwriter97
Freedomwriter97

N/A, SD



About
Hello friends. I am a 18 year old short story and poem writer. I have had several poems published throughout my young life. I love to express myself with the pen. Several of my stories come from real.. more..

Writing