Business Intimacy

Business Intimacy

A Chapter by TLK
"

She used that word.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Business Intimacy.



She came to me with hollow terror in her eyes.

“I’d just been thinking,” she said, “of what would happen if---”

She stopped there, but her pupils darted around instead, uncomfortable.

I took her gently by the arms and shoulders.  I brought her in.  She sat.

“Have you been talking to somebody?  What did they say?”

“Well,” and she reached into her bag for a tissue.  Again and again, out came used tissues.  With each one she would bring it to her face, almost use it, pause, cram it back into the bottom of the bag.

Repeat.

“Well,” and this time she started.  “I just talking to Sally, and she mentioned the Benjamins, and how awful it all was.  She used that word.”

I was expected to fill the gaps.  Cancer, I thought.  Synonyms of disease, of plague.  No, some other kind of death, not the cause of death, the result.  Loneliness.  Destitution.  What can make a young woman -- still in full health, still steering her way through the first decisions, struggling from her chrysalis, beating wings in the morning sun as they fill with fluid -- pause for so long on this precipice?

“You know, predecease.”  It rang with finality, it echoed in the caverns of her eyes.  It wasn’t muffled by the heap of tissues that she was now discarding to her right.

“Sally said,” and she was barely even checking the tissues now, her hand was telling her that they were crumpled and dirty and useless, “that the best thing anybody can do is to outlive their parents.  To die an orphan.  That this is what we hope for.  This is the best way.”

I nodded, although to be honest I hadn’t given much thought to it.  I watched her heap up the tissues.  I thought that surely she had excavated her whole bag, the heap was encroaching on the edge of the table.

“But what if I do predecease them?  What if they are left alone, together, or one or the other?”

For my part, I was twiddling with my pen over a writing pad I rarely used.  I let consoling words come out as I watched her make her pyre.

“We can put plans into motion,” I reassured.  “We can rely on a system that will dictate events.  We can sign, notarise, file away.  We can structure your assets so that there is always a portion left.”

And, all the while, I was distracted.  She was pulling the used tissues out, never-ending.  Bored, fantasy took over.  I imagined the table spilling over.  I imagined the tissues mating on the floor.  I imagined her sunk, preserved beneath the paper.  I imagined a sign, 'dig me out when you need me'.  Her parents, glad for their benefactor, marvelling at the sacrifices made.  Enjoying cruises on what was left.  Living the freedom of their retired life to the fullest.  One day waiting for their daughter to wake up again; to wake up exultant, orphaned at last.



© 2012 TLK


Author's Note

TLK
Prose poetry... although I'm not quite sure if it's not just flash fiction with some poetic sensibilities. No need to worry, tho'.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
a vivid tale that lead to a mysterious end that opens a door for a next tale...


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice poem and story too! I rarely find good writing like this :)
Keep up the good work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Its a cross over between a poem and a story.....and a very good one at that.
100 for you as I really enjoyed it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


I'd call this a story...and quite good. The last paragraph tells a story by itself.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


TLK

11 Years Ago

Yes. I must admit I don't know where it came from. It thrills me with some lovesick emotion every .. read more
Marie

11 Years Ago

I feel that she simply doesn't know what to do and is burying her this way.
TLK

11 Years Ago

Only the magicicada can sleep for seventeen years.
Could also be seen as an ode to used facial tissue.
This piece was, of course, brimming with humor--rather sarcastic and smartly styled humor, to be sure.
It was an extremely entertaining offering, very well--quite creatively--expressed.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


TLK

11 Years Ago

There is an odd veneer of humour to it. I think the image that resulted in this being written was t.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2012
Last Updated on September 9, 2012
Tags: predecease, orphan, notarise, sacrifice


Author

TLK
TLK

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Signed up to the Pledge to Civil Conduct in Discourse on Writer's Cafe: please challenge me if you think I am breaking either the letter or the spirit of the rules. I try to review well myself (see.. more..

Writing
Tram lines Tram lines

A Poem by TLK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Garden Parade Garden Parade

A Chapter by Renée