Tram lines

Tram lines

A Poem by TLK

Lying to himself had been too easy for too long. He looked at his hands: so like his grandfather's, restless in their strength, eager to hew and saw. He wiggled his tongue: so like his father's, shy until loosened by alcohol. Without a mirror he still knew his face to be kind and forgiving like his mother's, despite his square jaw. Since achieving a pretence of independence he had thought himself a self-made man, springing whole out of his own head like an insanely incestuous Athena. Now he realised that 'to discover yourself' means that you already exist -- he had been on tram lines the whole time. He had followed his passions, forgetting that his passions were in his heart to begin with. "I was a piece of marble," he said to himself, whisky helping him talk. "And in it I found the soul of the material, the shape that was always meant to be expressed." Perhaps this is self-made enough, he thought. And then he felt shame, for other hands had worked on that marble, and he had belittled them for touching him.

© 2013 TLK


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We are what we are, flaws and all and, it's the flaws that make us human, whether self.inflicted or adorned by the world in which we live. Surely? Whether we live alone or with others, thought will fly us into another place and whatever wholeness or purity we lean towards will slowly, slowly bend. It's life, not guilt.

Your writing pushes the reader.reviewer onto another level, that's always so very welcome.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

TLK

10 Years Ago

Thank you for being willing to be 'pushed' -- it's this kind of acceptance that makes me want to kee.. read more



Reviews

thanks for sharing this interesting poem TLK

Posted 9 Years Ago


There's a rich story shining through the prose in this. It's resonating with me personally after moving from Michigan, where the Horatio Alger "self-made man" ideal is still preached, to New York, where you're thrown into a microsociety that requires coexistence and self expression.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I really like how different this piece is to different works, as in this looks at flaws and not strengths. Good job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This also doesn't rhyme very much i think you need to practice what you preach

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

TLK

10 Years Ago

I'm sorry. You clearly meant "This also doesn't rhyme very much. I think you need to practice what y.. read more
cimmy wuv xxxooo

10 Years Ago

Well whatever it is i didnt like it at all.
Wow so my spellings not perfect you understood wh.. read more
TLK

10 Years Ago

"Well, whatever it is I didn't like it at all. Wow, so my spelling's not perfect, you understood wha.. read more
We are what we are, flaws and all and, it's the flaws that make us human, whether self.inflicted or adorned by the world in which we live. Surely? Whether we live alone or with others, thought will fly us into another place and whatever wholeness or purity we lean towards will slowly, slowly bend. It's life, not guilt.

Your writing pushes the reader.reviewer onto another level, that's always so very welcome.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

TLK

10 Years Ago

Thank you for being willing to be 'pushed' -- it's this kind of acceptance that makes me want to kee.. read more
Write more and soon your poetic skills will be polished, because the idea going through your poem is amazing! It has a whole story which is so enjoyable for the readers.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow that was really good and very different. Most people have never really thought of how all of the people that have influenced them have really shaped their lives and this definitely brings that to light. Wonderful job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I adore those first three lines. I often think of the mix of pieces that come together in a person, that seem to run down in the family

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3281 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 31, 2013
Last Updated on May 31, 2013
Tags: haw, saw, wiggling, loosen, forgive

Author

TLK
TLK

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Signed up to the Pledge to Civil Conduct in Discourse on Writer's Cafe: please challenge me if you think I am breaking either the letter or the spirit of the rules. I try to review well myself (see.. more..

Writing