The Medicine wheel

The Medicine wheel

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Old Native American wisdom. We need to gather as one people to save earth and all people.

"





 
 

Wisdom of the Medicine wheel
 

I have been  lucky.  Many kind Native Americans took me under their wing and taught me how to find peace.
 
At the Mall I went to the so-call Native American store. A Middle Eastern man tried to sell me a Chinese made items.  I touched a Medicine Wheel.
 
I told him:  "A proper Medicine Wheel has the power of the four winds."

I touched a  Dream Catcher." A real one would protect your spirit and keep bad dreams away."
 
He grinned at me. He didn't understand a word that I have spoken. He told me. "It does the same things." I left the store with nothing.
 
I sat with my Apache Friend and his family outside the gate of Fort Hood, Texas. I sat and listened to him.  His skin hardened by the Texas sun. I came and sat with him every Saturday for many months.

He had a story for every item he sold. I brought him food and water.  His stories were passed on to him by family and elders.
 
He gave me a Medicine Wheel. He rose up and made a circle with his hands. He told me.  "All people are part of the circle of life.  We all have a purpose, he had sadness in his voice. We Apache and Native Americans were responsible to protect Nature. We did a poor job."
 
"The white people were responsible for the fire. They shared their gift and now fire is held in every corner of the planet. His eyes looked at the ground, then he raised his eyes and looked to the sky. The fire was taught Atomic and nuclear power too well."
 
"The black people held the strength, wisdom and honour. The wisdom of the black people lost direction. We need their strength before we kill off all that is good."
 
"The yellow people have courage, leadership and clarity. The gentle and calm souls will be necessary for this world to seek peace."
 
"The medicine wheel is a compass to all life. We must know all four directions."
 
At a Pow Wow in Texas a few Native Americans danced and invited all of us to join the dance of friendship. A old Apache man moved around the circle. Burned sage and blessed everyone who came.
 
He welcomed us. He began to speak.

"We were the last Americans allowed to dance our Native dances.
We were the last allowed to speak our language in public.
We have not forgotten. 
We go on and hope for better days."
 
He blessed all of us and his kind eyes show respect for all.
He raise his hands and spoke to the sky.
"Teach us the four winds. 
Give us wisdom. 
Teach us humility. 
Show us clarity. 
Allow us to trust our brothers."
 
I'm proud of my Ojibwa heritage.  I'm proud of my Mexican/white heritage. The Medicine wheel showed us we are one. We need to work together. Red, black, white and yellow were given gifts.
 
Old Apache raised his hands to the sky. Then created a full circle. He moved slowly around  the inner circle and looked in all our eyes.
 
 
"We are one.
Let's pray for peace."
 
East wind - Yellow people - Path of light - Spiritual - courage.
West wind - Red people - Path of vision - physical -prayer
North wind - White people - Path of quiet - Mental - wisdom
South wind - Black people - Path of peace - natural - trust

 
This is a view of many years of learning. Every teacher tells the story differently. I believe we are one people. Peace will come when we learn to work together.

Black, White, Red and Yellow are the four corners of the Medicine Wheel. All with important gifts to bring to achieve peace with each other and the planet.


                                     Coyote

 
 

© 2016 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
If mistakes. Please tell me. Never too old to learn.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a truly inspirational and important poem we have here. Until now, I did not appreciate the true significance of the 'Medicine Wheel'
I have learn't many things this evening and am subsequently both humbled and very grateful to you my dear friend Coyote.................All Good Things, Neville

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

Thank you Neville. The Medicine. A symbol of peace. One people and one earth.
Neville

6 Years Ago

Amen to that..........



Reviews

Hi, a special invitation to you and your family, i am launching my website www.writerscastle.com on Feb 14, Wednesday, please try to browse or create an account. Thank you.
Jessy Jacob.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Month Ago

Okay dear Jessy.
JessyJacob

1 Month Ago

no thanks sir, dont login into my site. none of you all/
Authenticity is very important. We must believe in all we hold sacred.
Like you, I see these "knock offs" sold without understanding their significance.
Your story ends perfectly with the emphasis that we are individual parts that make up a whole, and how important it is for us to respect one another and work together. Was a pleasure to read. Thank you.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Month Ago

Thank you dear Anita for reading and the comment. I hope we can learn some of the Native American wa.. read more
Anita Frader

1 Month Ago

You're welcome. :)
Wow. This is very cool and informative.

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

1 Month Ago

Thank you Thomas.
A wonderful journey you take us on. Many wise words written and portrayed for us to learn from.

Wonderful read.

With love,

Matthew

Posted 4 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

4 Months Ago

Thank you Matthew for reading and the comment. I do appreciate.
Hi Coyote. This piece of work is spectacular! I really enjoyed reading it. I felt it’s energy and natural knowledge of nature and life in general.

Since I’ve retired In Montana and returned home to my motherland (Great Falls) seeing the world through adult eyes. I truly am blessed to be able to experience this beautiful country. I’m truly finding joy in my research in this country of indigenous reading.

I really appreciate your post about “The Medicine Wheel”

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Months Ago

Thank you Montana for reading and the kind words. I was a soldier and I was lucky. Saw the beauty of.. read more
This seems like such an important story right now. Your being able to tell it through poetry is beautiful and calming. Thank you for sharing that experience. I feel like I have learned from it as well.

Posted 5 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

5 Months Ago

Thank you fallon. We need to get along for the sake of the children.
THE Medicine Wheel will always be relevant because those who have had it passed down in word and guidance over a long, long history.. one coming from a precious place... will know the Wheel's truth. Like Faith, it brings light.. and that, dear friend, is what matters.

Posted 6 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

6 Months Ago

Thank you dear Emma for reading and the comment. I agree my dear friend.
My Brother... it's all that IS BEING what and where you believe. Ever move into the future of your wordage my Friend... your friend Ro (rory) 2023

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Months Ago

Thank you Rory and I agree.
"We need to work together. Red, black, white and yellow were given gifts." Loved this poem and I agree with the wisdom of the medicine wheel.

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

7 Months Ago

It is old wisdom. We need to use today dear Celie. Thank you for reading and the comment.
Coming back to read this one again. Love it even more. But isn't it time to write a new one? I love your poetry. ~Sharon

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Coyote Poetry

8 Months Ago

Maybe dear Sharon? Hello from Michigan and thank you for reading and the comment my dear friend.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55165 Views
674 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 51 Libraries
Added on January 1, 2010
Last Updated on July 27, 2016

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Drake Drake

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Songs of Colour Songs of Colour

A Poem by OT





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114