Alexander Nevsky and the Teutonic Knights

Alexander Nevsky and the Teutonic Knights

A Story by Wes
"

A non-fiction summary of Alexander Nevsky's clash with the famous German clan of knights.

"



Alexander Nevsky and the Teutonic Knights



The Teutonic Knights invasion of Novgorod was a significant period of Eastern European history. It marked the last major Western invasion of Eastern Russia for centuries, and increased the prestige of Novgorod. In order to better understand this conflict, the three major aspects of this conflict must be explored: first, the formation of the Teutonic Knights and the causes of their invasion(or crusade) of Eastern Europe. Secondly, the life of Alexander Nevsky and his rise to power, including his relationship with the Golden hoard. Lastly, the invasion of Novgorod leading to the climactic Battle of the Lake and its profound effect on Kievan history. 

The Teutonic Knights were a medieval order of Crusaders, who were originally formed in the late 12th Century. It’s original goals involved assisting Christians in the Middle East and establishing hospitals. Eventually they developed into a more They were founded by a German by the name of Duke Frederick of Swabia, after conquering a town named Acre in Israel. They were active Crusaders in the Middle East throughout the 13th century. Their attention was drawn on the Republic of Novgorod after they absorbed a group known as “The Livonian Brothers of the Sword”. Their goal in the invasion of Novgorod was to spread Christianity to the pagans of Eastern Europe. From a military perspective, they were looking to exploit a Novgorod weakened by the Mongol hordes and Swedish invasions. 

Alexander Nevsky is a very prominent figure in medieval Russian history. He was the son of Yaraslov II, and from the age of 8 he grew up among the Mongols, and had a very close relationship with the Golden Hoard. Still a young man(around 19), he was called to defend Novgorod from Swedish and German invaders. At the Battle of Neva, he successfully defeated the Swedish and prevented a full scale invasion of Novgorod, earning his surname “Nevsky”. Despite this victory, he was eventually exiled from Novgorod by the Boyars. However, he would be called back to defend Novgorod once again in the Spring of 1241, this time from the invading Teutonic Knights from Germany and Lithuania. 

The Teutonic Knights heavy cavalry would meet Alexander Nevsky’s Novgorodian army on April 5th, 1242. The battle was fought on the completely frozen Lake Peipus, in the subsequently named Battle of the Ice. It would prove to be a spectacular victory for Alexander, crushing the Teutonic calvary and sending them fleeing from Novgorod with their tales between their legs. The precise number of soldiers and casualties of the battle is not known, as it is believed that sources from that era likely exaggerated the number of troops, and events of the battles. For example, it is unlikely that Alexander smashed the ice on the lake, sending the Teutonic army and their horses tumbling into the frozen waters below. The battle included hours of intense, hand to hand combat at the surface of the lake. Towards the end of the battle, Alexander turned the tide with reinforcements, including archers, and a final charge of calvary from the flank. It was a significant victory for Alexander’s army. 


This victory created a variety of effects, some short term and some more enduring, while also elevating Alexander Nevsky to a heroic status that endures in Russia to this day. There have been multiple movies depicting the Battle of the Ice. Alexander was canonized by the Orthodox church, as evidenced by the plethora of Icons created in his honor. The battle itself was particularly glorified during WWII, while the Soviet Union was at war with Germany. Sergei Eistein’s film on the battle, which was released in 1938, depicted the Germans as barbaric, pagan brutes, while Nevsky and the Russians were shown to be cunning, brave heroes. This, obviously, was in order to swing public opinion against Nazi Germany and to gather steam for the very costly war effort. From a military perspective, the Battle of the Ice would be the last invasion of Russia for centuries, and significantly increased the prestige of the Muscovite state. This was much needed, considering the disastrous Mongol invasion had taken place just a few decades before. From a military perspective, it was significant that Alexanders army had held it’s own against the heavy calvary of the Teutonic knights, despite their advantages of being mounted and wearing heavy armor. Tactics used in the West similar to those employed by Alexander would prove to spell the end of the era of heavily armored Knights. 

The invasion of the Teutonic Knights is a seminal event in Kievan history, not only for its elevation of Alexander Nevsky to hero status. It secured the Muscovite states border, increased its prestige, led to advancements in military strategy, and showed the Muscovite people that they could in fact secure military victories, leading to the eventual victory over the Golden Hoard and Muscovite independence. 




SOURCES:

  • “Medieval Russia’s Epics, Chronicles, and Tale” by Serge A. Zenkovsky
  • swabia-teoutonic.org 

© 2015 Wes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015
Tags: History, Russia, Knights, War, Alexander Nevsky, Teutonic Knights

Author

Wes
Wes

About
Writer, Poet, Producer Contact me: [email protected] more..

Writing