In Defense of the Liberal Arts

In Defense of the Liberal Arts

A Story by Wes
"

Why I'm not, in fact, crazy for majoring in the Liberal Arts.

"

“Oh, what’s your major?”

As a college freshman, I’ve run into that question almost daily over the past few months. I dread answering it every time, because I know the inevitable response.

“I’m a history major.”

Now there are a variety of ways in which people voice their disapproval of my choice of major, some more blunt than others. Some look surprised, like they had no idea that was even an option. Others become puzzled, as if they think I’m lying to them. The bravest let out an audible scoff, just to make it abundantly clear that they think I’m a fool.

“But, I’m going to be a double major,”, I continue.

Relief washes over them. “Excellent”, they think to themselves, “that history degree is simply an educational hobby, his second major is something reliable, something worth paying thousands of dollars to get a degree in.”

“…In political science.”

They look at me in stunned silence for a moment, before stumbling out in hushed tones,

“Oh…. why?”

I sigh, and ready my well practiced defense.

“It’s what I’m passionate about.”

Most still think I’m deceiving them,

“Well what are you going to do with that?”

When did that become an acceptable response? When did exploring and deciphering the development and achievements of our species become a fools errand? When did researching and understanding the inner working of government, arguably the most influential institution in human civilization, become a glorified hobby, a dead end? This reaction isn’t just typical of History and political science; it’s a pervasive reaction across the entire Liberal Arts spectrum.

The meteoric rise of tech and engineering jobs in the past decade has led to spike in the popularity and importance of STEM majors, and, consequently, a depreciation of the popularity, interest, and respect for Liberal Arts majors. We’ve all heard the jokes. The philosophy major destined to a post-graduate career as a barista at Starbucks, the english major flipping patties at the local McDonalds, the religious studies major compiling a detailed comparison of Abrahamic religions from his parents basement. There is no doubt that STEM majors are important, intelligent educational paths for students with the right tools and personality, but why does that have to demean the Liberal Arts and turn it into a joke? When did educating ourselves and our society on the human condition take a backseat to formulas and derivatives?

Now, in no way is this post insulting any branch of science, mathematics, or technology. The strength of our society is in our variety, our ability to send a person to the moon one day, and craft a literary masterpiece the next. What is the point of creating a powerful, sleek laptop if you have no “Catcher in the Rye” to write on it? A high definition camera if you have no “Pulp Fiction” to shoot with it?

It’s true that STEM majors typically have a higher job rate and starting salary then liberal arts majors, but the value of our education doesn’t have to be solely judged on its immediate monetary value. A broad education is the core of a healthy society. It promotes tolerance, emotional growth, creative expression, and a well informed, critically thinking populace. A well functioning democracy, a well functioning nation, and a well functioning world needs all of these characteristics. People function more effectively, and are more happy in a job they are passionate about, so why try to jam the square philosophy major peg into the round engineering major hole? Imagine if Mozart had been pressured into becoming a carpenter, or if Stephen King was forced into an applied mathematics degree. A well functioning democracy, a well functioning nation, and a well functioning world needs all of these characteristics.

I’ve talked about the liberal arts’ importance to society as a whole, but despite what you’ve no doubt heard, a liberal arts degree is not useless to an undergrad. While most STEM majors prepare graduates for a specific career in a specific field, liberal arts degrees prepare students for a wide variety of careers. For a personal example, a history degree could lead me to occupations ranging from Museum curator to marketing director, from professor to senator. Studies show that most college students change their major 3 to 5 times during there undergraduate years, and in a study done in 2013, only 27% of graduates hold jobs related to there major. This data tells us that the skills and experiences we learn at college are more important than specific facts and methods drilled into your brain. Liberal arts majors like history, english, and philosophy are chock full of these transferable skills, that can apply to almost any career. Analytical thinking, persuasive writing, looking at problems from multiple perspectives, critical reading, the list goes on and on.

So the next time you have a hilarious (and completely original) burger flipping joke aimed at the nearest English major, I want you to take a second and think:

Do you really want to live in a world where these talents aren’t celebrated and nurtured properly? Me neither.

© 2015 Wes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

As a history major I was glad to read this piece. I was able to parlay my degree into helping people (teaching and social work). This is well written, it is succinct, which I like, but I think it could be even more personal. The quotes and memories that you use to make your point seem as if you have only scratched the surface of your place as a liberal arts major today.
On a practical note I think there is a typo in the 2nd to the last paragraph with than/then... "It’s true that STEM majors typically have a higher job rate and starting salary than liberal arts majors". I hope you are able to stick with liberal arts and to stay proud of it.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
1 Review
Added on March 19, 2015
Last Updated on March 19, 2015
Tags: Liberal Arts, College, Majors, History

Author

Wes
Wes

About
Writer, Poet, Producer Contact me: [email protected] more..

Writing