Goodbye

Goodbye

A Chapter by LovelyYou

"I know you're a vampire!"


'Where did I mess up? How did I get myself tied up in this? When I signed up, I didn't know it would end like this…'


*FLASHBACK*

I was seventeen, on the precipice of manhood. And to prove that, I was going to join the army. When I got to the sign up stand, there were many other boys just like me. I didn't know at the time that years from now I would wish I had gone with my mother. I would wish I hadn't gone through with it. But I did. I stood there in line for almost an hour before it was my turn. I walked up to the table where the recruiters were sitting and picked up a pen, ready to scribble my name on the sheet. Quickly, one of the recruiters snapped a hand around my wrist, keeping my hand trembling over the paper. "Son, are you sure you want to do this?" I didn't think. I just nodded my head and breathlessly replied, "Positive, sir." He looked in my eyes, searching, and dropped my wrist. Before anyone else could stop me, I scratched my name neatly on the next to last line. The recruiter on the left handed me a card and said, "If we don't contact you in three days, call this number and it will tell you what to do." I nodded to show I understood and walked back out of the building.


)TimeChange(


Five months. The longest, most grueling five months of my life. I'd seen death, pain, heartbreak, and devastation. All in the five months from the point I joined the army. I had seen men so broken, so…so powerless they begged for death. And I had seen the men that didn't even beg. They just did it themselves.


When I joined the army, there were fifty-three other boys with me. Now there was eighteen. That's thirty-five boys we lost. I realized some time ago (maybe at the two-week mark?) that that's what I was. A boy. A boy who wanted nothing more then to go home to his parents, but I had been to slow to realize it and now I was stuck. Like I said, death was overwhelming here and seemed to be the only way out. How long was I going to last?


)TimeChange(


The pain! It was like my body was on fire and knives were splitting my muscles. My bones were cracking hundreds of times and I couldn't breathe. It seemed that the answer to my question was here. At eighteen months, it didn't seem like I'd be here for much longer…The sad thing was…I was relieved.


)TimeChange(


D****T! I was so close…about to tumble off the edge…who does that vampire think she is? Or what? Some kind of savior? Now I'm stuck here… forever…


*FLASHBACK END*


Zane whipped his head up from the file. "You think I'm a what?" He narrowed his eyes at the detective, extremely panicked. "Sir, I do believe I said I know you are a vampire." Jasper stood and kept talking, "I think I can see myself out." Zane stood with him and replied, "But sir, you are assuming I trust you anywhere in or around my house alone." The two walked out of the room in an icy uncomfortable silence. They reached the door and Jasper almost let out a relieved sigh. 'Why did I get into this mess?'


As Zane opened the door, the distraught tired detective walked out. 'I have to fix this!' He whipped around and stuck his foot in the door as the master of the house was closing it. It reopened and Zane peered out at the detective angrily suspicious. "What?" he hissed at Jasper. Jasper took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Zane…" He whispered, "I know what you are whether you will admit that I know or not. But I promise I won't tell anybody."


The Master Vampire looked into his eyes and almost drowned in the sincerity that flooded them. "Be that as it may, I am in a very dangerous position with you knowing. I should just kill you now but I have a feeling that you are here for more than the investigation." As he finished speaking, he walked back inside and started closing the door. "Goodbye…Jasper…"


Jasper quickly made his way down the path and onto the sidewalk. He turned to look at the imposing house one more time and could have swore he had seen a dark shadow at the window, watching him leave. Nevertheless, he shook his head and kept walking. 'My brain is scrambled. He's putting ideas in my head.'


But little did he know, there was a figure in the window. Zane watched the intriguing man shake his head and walk off, wondering what he was thinking. Turning away, his thoughts turned dark and depressing. 'Will he be her when it is time? What will happen if he is?'



© 2010 LovelyYou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ahh, interesting chapter. Wondering who the 'her' is.
hmm...I'm not sure that in a chapter you should write 'time change'. I know what your trying to do, and if you didn't write it the reader would be even more confused. Maybe try slotting in the flashbacks during the chapter.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow a cliffhanger ending. that is awesome!! i love cliffhanging endings! xD not only did you entrigue the reader but you also made them ponder aboutwho this "she" was or why zane was so icy to the detective jasper. there are a few things untold things in this story which give it the mystery needed.although the flashback thing is a really a good idea, it is quite confusing with you changing times. so make it as clear as possible and maybe not to use the flashback frequently.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
2 Reviews
Added on June 19, 2010
Last Updated on June 19, 2010


Author

LovelyYou
LovelyYou

Manila, AR



About
Hi! My name's Tabitha and I am a general fiction writer. Most of the time I get little flickers of ideas that I write down, but they never make it out of the nest. Others jump head first out of the ne.. more..

Writing
Feel Me Feel Me

A Poem by LovelyYou


I Know I Know

A Chapter by LovelyYou