*Untitled*

*Untitled*

A Chapter by Tamararosehall
"

An engaged merprince falls in love with a professional surfer. With only 1 week to recieve true loves first kiss before his wedding Rowan and Brook me must save eachother from their own lives

"
PART 1
Chapter 1


“Rowan this stupid, can you just let me in!”
Ignoring Kirian’s barking I brought my royal crest over my head, the metal cold against my bare chest. I scanned at the pathetic excuse for a prince in the mirror. Empty golden eyes stared back at me as I adjusted my armbands. Decorated in delicate embroidery they are meant to show my status, to me they seemed no more than shackles. Tonight is the night I meet my bride to be, my betrothed. The Princess of the frozen waters, Princess Sirena. Our fathers’ king Oberon and King Valdimar both control half of the Sacred Trident and because of this they have been at odds for centuries, causing a rift between the merfolk they govern and threatening war between the two kingdoms. But at last, there is an heir of each kingdom that has come of age. Bringing hope for peace between the kings through the marriage of their children And the combining of both kingdoms forever. When husband to the princess I will inherit both tridents and will be responsible for the entire ocean and its inhabitants with supreme power. Of course, no one has ever asked me what I want. Although, being the only male blood heir doesn't leave much room for choice. Only mermen of royal blood can touch a trident, let alone wield it.

The room around me was furnished with everything and anything a merman could dream of. Possessing all the trappings of a prince, but it means nothing to me with the harrowing absence of my personal freedom. From below the music from the ballroom resounded, it frustrated me. Aware of the crowd that awaited there, the expectations that everyone held for me. The weight of this responsibility was thick in the waters of my world making my heart heavy. With a sigh, I put on my crown, ebony hair a midnight contrast to the radiant gold. Kirian continued to pound on my door as I quietly swam to the window. Merfolk flooded into the castle, all eager to witness the royal engagement. The hum of the crowds already ringing in my ears threatening to push me over the edge. I watched them from my room above, head resting in my hand. It’s all so exhausting, I don’t know why I’m the one they all put their faith in. I have done nothing to deserve it. As a matter of fact, I’ve never done anything for myself. Let alone others. As the sole savior to merkind, I’m seldom allowed to leave the castle grounds. Though when I do, it’s only with my personal guard and dearest friend Kirian, following like a shadow.


My doors flew open with a thud. “There! damn it why do you have to make my life so hard all the time” his eyes ablaze with frustration.
Turning to him casually I got up, hands raised in defense. “Alright, Alright Kirian, calm down.” placing my hands on his shoulders, I smiled the best princely smile. Suddenly my breath left me as Kirian threw a rock hard fist in my gut with a thud. “You cant fool me with that fake smile Rowan” He grunted. “I know how you feel about this, but it’s for the good of everyone so the least you can do...” another fist flew at my head. I swiftly dodged and blocked it in my hand, absorbing the impact easily. Glaring at him as I regained my composure. “- is to marry the most beautiful maiden in the sea and live in luxury the rest of your life.” he raised a brow. “If it’s not too much trouble” He added with a sarcastic smirk.
“Don't start that with me!” I growled. This was a typical occurrence, kirian and me always talked better while sparring. He especially did this when he felt like I would start talking about my personal freedom. Over the years, he has not been shy about his opinion on the matter.

Drawing his blade he tossed me mine, taking his stance. Metal clashed as we danced around the room. “The hell it isn't!” he roared in frustration. He swung at me again, I blocked. “Your life is nothing BUT simple, all you have to do is just marry the princess like a good little prince and live happily ever after as the most powerful being in the sea.” Our weapons met again as I pushed him back against the wall. I held him there, my forearm pressing against his throat. “It’s easy for you to say-” I hissed. “You get to leave here and marry whoever you want. You get to leave here and explore the seas if you wish, nothing is holding down. No one controls what you do with your life, and no one gets to tell you who you are and what you're supposed to be.” As I released him he rubbed his throat, wincing. “You have no idea how lucky you are.” I mumbled. Kirian sheathed his sword. Eyes solum, he sighed. I tossed him my weapon. He brushed passed me, placing it on its rack.

“Rowan, we’ve gone over this countless times over the years, This isn't about you. It’s your duty to your kingdom, your throne, and your people. You're the only who can wield a trident after the two kings. If anyone else could, then maybe, but you’re the only male heir and I can’t keep-” We both froze as horns sounded through the castle announcing my father’s presence. The ceremony was beginning.

Soon I was to be presented to King Valdimar for approval. Kirian groaned loudly, taking me by the arm. He dragged me down the hall. “Looks like we don’t have time for this. You do what you want when we get there, but I’ll see to it you are there” I struggled in his grasp, freeing myself before hurrying along with him, Not daring to face my father should I not be there. The deafening sound of music, drums, and cheering filling my ears as we drew closer to the ballroom. Drawing a deep breath, I straightened my crest as we approached the door. He quickly straightened the crown on my head. “There, now. Don’t have too much fun in there.” I flashed him one last show of defiance before he swam away around the corner.
The hallway suddenly shook with the beat of drums and waves of cheering as my name was announced. The doors flew open before me. “My son, Prince Rowan” I carried myself high as my father’s voice boomed. Rulers of the Merkingdoms are much larger than average merpeople. They are absolute gods in size and towered over the average merman thanks to the power of their tridents, even as the prince I was nothing compared to my father. Once crowned king, I will match my father in size and he will return to his natural height.

Everyone continued to cheer as I proceeded to the center of the room. My face carefully void of emotion. I knew how to act the part well. Strong and unyielding as my father would say. ‘A prince must show the strength of his kingdom in his presence long before he assumes the throne’ I sighed internally at that. Finally stopping in the center. All eyes were on me as everyone waited for my father’s next words. “Valdimar, I offer you my only heir. As betrothed to your daughter princess Sirena in marriage. That we may lay our differences to rest, do you accept?”
I approached the king and bowed at the waist in respect and waited. Hating this entire thing, but dare not show it. It's all so fake, I was nothing more than an object to be offered in this deal and so was she. Making me wonder… how does she think about this whole thing? What was the princess like? What will I do if I don’t love her? King Valdimar looked down on me, examining me like the object I apparently was. The tension of the moment settled over the crowd as they watched the king and me. Waiting for a response, a sound, a breath, anything.

King Valdimar tapped his trident twice in approval. The sound was a thing of joy to my people but to me; it was a gavel announcing my eternal fate. I backed away respectfully and returned to the center of the chamber to wait. My head still high like a statue awaiting my father’s approval of the princess. Now it was her turn.
King Valdimar then rose “I offer to you Oberon my only daughter and heir as betrothed to your son Prince Rowan in marriage that we may put our differences aside in peace for our people” he tapped his trident again twice, its sharp clap cut throughout the castle. All went silent once more as the doors beside him opened just as mine had and revealed one of the most enchanting mermaids I have ever seen. Her hair long and icy blue flowing around her gracefully. Her skin was as pale and elegant as the rarest of pearls. Her eyes were captivating, blue as the sea. Truly, the rumors I have heard of her beauty did her no justice.
She glided past me to the feet of Oberon where she also humbled herself and awaited his approval. We all waited, unmoving as my father looked her over.
Obviously pleased, he smiled and raised his right hand in approval. The thunderous clamor of joy that once again burst among the people almost scared me after such silence. Everyone rejoiced as she took her place in front of me for the exchanging of royal crests.
She lowered her head as I removed my crest, placing it on her. Afterward, she did the same to me. My attention was drawn down to this new crest. There was no turning back now I was officially engaged to Princess Sirena and bore her crest, as she bore mine.
Next, is the engagement dance. It is a tradition for new engaged merpeople to show their commitment to each other in a grand dance of tails. All eyes were on us as she accepted my offered hand. Music filled the chamber as musicians played and the sirens sang their melodious song. I pulled her in close as we twirled. Her body was so cold, but it didn't bother me. It was nice. She closed her eyes and smiled sweetly as I led her around the room. She was an exquisite dancer.

Soon everybody was joining in with us. The room was rapidly engulfed with countless couples as we all danced to the mysterious melody. Our bodies twisting and twirling among each other.
A graceful and mesmerizing dance of tails throughout the ballroom. I glanced around as we spun again, the two kings both enjoying the music as they clapped along with the beat of the drums.
Repressing a heavy sigh, I closed my eyes and spun her out. Going through the motions. She was gorgeous, I’ll give her that. A perfectly captivating vision of a mermaid. I drew her close as we twirled. The crisp, sweet scent of her hair filling my senses as it drifted around her. We slowed our dance as my hands found themselves stroking her arms absentmindedly. She was so delicate, so pure. I was completely undeserving of her. Wincing as she smiled at me. She would never know my heart as she hoped.

“How very interesting...” whispered a voice. Far from the palace lurked the sorcerer, Mistress Ebony. Safe in her cave. She eagerly leaned over her pit, it bubbled and boiled with a red nameless liquid. Its vapors reveal to her a clear vision of the prince. Her lips stretched to a grin as she bared her teeth, sharp and deadly. “The entire ocean will be at his command and his heart is as uncertain and wondering as a mere merchild'' she hissed in disgust, her eel-like tail whipping around as she swam to her mirror admiring herself. “I will never allow that ignorant little welp to become anyone's king” Her claw-like nails ran through her raven hair tenderly as she narrowed her eyes, deep in thought. “Although, only he possesses the ability to even touch the trident,” she picked at her nails as she pouted. “only he can wield its power.” Rolling her eyes, she glanced back at the vision of the prince, the dance coming to a close. Both him and the princess bowing to the crowd, all cheering happily around them in approval.
“What a damned annoyance that is.” She huffed. “But...” slithering over to the pit again, it revealed a clear view of the prince. “not impossible, given the right circumstances.”
She smirked, dismissing the vision from her sight. “Come to me Ampetrion” Her hair rose around her as she summoned her enchanted book of spells.
Eyes emanating an unnatural red glow she watched as the book rose from the pit, oozing the red liquid that once concealed its presence. Her teeth glistened in its ominous aura as she tore open its ridged shark skinned cover.
“Come now darling let us see what we can do about that idiot prince and if his wavering heart can be put to good use…” she flipped through the pages, her eyes scanning its contents before she shrieked “Of course! It’s perfect.”
“A love potion.” Her tail twisted and squirmed around her in excitement. “If I have him fall completely in love with me and he marries me in front of the entire kingdom, then I will be legally queen. No one could oppose my command,” she flipped over the tattered page reading the rest. “And he will be completely at my mercy, I will control his heart and in turn control the ocean!” She smiled a wicked smile as she proceeded to read. “Now then, the ingredients…” her finger tracing the list, only stopping at the final ingredient.
She frowned “I see…” her scowl growing. “... so I will require his blood.” She slammed the book in frustration, hurling it to the side as she circled the den in thought.

Mer blood was challenging to collect as they heal much faster than any creature in the ocean.
One cut can be typically healed in seconds. Gashes closed before blood can escape. This trait protects them from predators of the sea. “Since he is a royal his healing abilities far surpass a normal merman... This will be tricky.” She murmured as she tapped her teeth nervously.
“It’s going to be difficult enough getting close to the prince, let alone inflict a wound deep enough for even the smallest collection of his blood before it closes…” gathering the book back up she retired to her bed, a hollowed-out corner of the cave stuffed with seaweed and the bones of various creatures. She slumped back on it with a frustrated sigh. Ink black hair billowing around her, she clutched the book to her chest tightly. Her mind deep in thought as she contemplated her next move. “In order to collect his blood, I’ll need no resistance from him. Meaning, he must give it to me of his own free will.”
“Well, that went pretty well didn’t it?” said Kirian cheerfully shutting my chamber door behind us. I could tell, he was proud of my performance back there. “She’s not all bad now is she? She looked very sweet to me.” He droned on, collecting my crown from me. He returned it to its rightful place. I retired to my window, exhausted from the night, and frankly from Kirian as well. “No, she's not that bad. Quite lovely in fact.” My eyes fell closed, finally able to let out a sigh freely. “But that’s not the issue here,” I added firmly.
Kirian glided over, joining me at the window. His arms crossed, silently edging me to continue. “I can't explain it kirian. I, just not sure if I can go through with this” I glanced at my hand, her gentle touch still fresh in my mind, yet I thought nothing of it as one would hope.
“She doesn't deserve a prince like me, the kingdom doesn’t deserve a prince like me,” I gazed out the window once more, the surface barely visible far above. “Well, you got that damn right, you're downright pathetic sometimes.” He grumbled. “But y'know, what's done is done. You both have each other's crest and everyone out there saw you accept the engagement.”
I rolled my eyes at his ignorance. “‘Accept’ is a strong word when no one really asked in the first place idiot.” He scoffed at that, heading for the door. Pausing for a moment, he turned to me. “Regardless... I'm glad you went through with it. Now our kingdoms will be safe and-” with a soft smile he regarded me with a sincereness I rarely see. “For what it's worth Rowan, I believe you'll make an amazing king one day.''
He shut the door carefully as I returned my gaze to the surface, unsure how I feel about that. Not sure if I even want to be king. “Damn it all, do I know anything?” Groaning, I raked a hand through my hair. The faint lights above danced and bounced around freely as I watched. Wondering… what it's like up there.

The surface is a very taboo subject among merpeople. No one likes to talk about it since the age of the “Lost Princess”. Legend has it, she was a past princess of my bloodline. Who longed so desperately for the surface, she fell in love with a human. Trading her enchanted voice to a sea witch for a pair of legs in attempts to win his heart. When she failed, her sisters had sacrificed their hair to the witch to save her, but she declined it. In the end, she died of a broken heart and turned into sea foam. Everyone says my great-great-grandfather never spoke again after that and it has silenced talk of the surface since then. Of course, the idea still intrigued me. A mermaid becoming human. Giving everything up. She must have been desperately in love.
“I wonder what that's like?” I sighed. “Guess I'll never know.” With my unrequited feelings for my ’wife’ I'll never even get that chance to find out.

Night descended upon the waters as they slowly drifted to darkness. I lay in my bed, only the distant sounds of whales singing to fill the void of silence. I tried to sleep through my racing thoughts. Tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable no matter what I tried. Getting up, I glided over to my door. It creaked quietly as I peered down the hall one way, then the other. Noone. I shut the door. All was silent for now but tomorrow the wedding planning was to begin, starting at breakfast with my new fiancé. I sighed, none of that interested me. With my back to the door, I slid down until I met the floor. It's not that I disliked the princess. I thought with a shrug; She was alright. But I cannot deny, my heart longs for more. For adventure, to explore and see new things. To fall in love for real, before I'm confined to this wretched castle for the remainder of my life. The idea of never getting out made me sick... “The planning doesn't start till tomorrow…” I mumbled. “That means it's not too late yet.” Grabbing my blanket I rushed to the window. Carefully covering my head, I glanced hesitantly around the perimeter. All clear.

Then with a deep breath, I slipped out. Pressing myself against the wall. Soon guards' voices began to approach from out of sight. I froze, feeling like a merchild.
This was stupid, my heart was pounding.
I'd never snuck out before. I mean, of course I'd thought about it but never had the courage to try. I’m not sure what will even happen if I’m caught and I can’t find it in myself to care. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I have to get out of here and if I don't do it now, then I never will. To be free, to make my own choices. Just once.
The idea was too tempting to pass up. I dashed straight up abandoning my blanket as I reached the top. I had no idea what to expect up there or what I was going to do exactly but I swam as fast as I could, my body breaking the surface. Unsure if I could actually breathe up here or not, I held my breath. It was surreal, everything was much lighter and yet, heavier at the same time.
I squinted at the giant glowing ball above me using my arm to shade my eyes.
My heart continued to pound in my chest with excitement as I cautiously took a breath.
To my relief, I could breathe. It tasted sweet and fresh. Like nothing, I've ever experienced. It was magical, the blackness above glittered and glistened with countless gems, sparkling above as far as the eye could see. For a moment I was lost in its magnitude. As soon as my eyes adjusted, I began to explore. Before me, far off in the distance was what I could only assume was the actual “land” I've heard rumors about. High off of my own curiosity, I swam straight for it.

Suddenly, water engulfed my lungs once more as I was dragged down. Something had grabbed hold of my tail and it was continuing to pull me down deeper and deeper. Panicked, I struggled with all my might. Thrashing my tail as hard as I could, to no avail. Finally, I was released. I turned around, my heart instantly sank. “Rowan! What the hell do you think you’re doing?!” Kirian shouted. I guess It was to be expected, I’ve never left the castle without him. Dressed in his full armor with his best sword at his hip he waited for an explanation. “Kirian-” I began.
“‘Kirian’ nothing. You are coming back with me right now. Thank the gods I checked on you tonight. Leave it to an idiot prince like you to try for the surface.” I took offense to that but decided to swallow it for now. “Kirian, I just want to see.” I pleaded, my eyes unintentionally returned to the surface. The giant ball of light almost begged me to return. Its lights continued to play among the waves. I began to answer its call when his hand gripped my tail yet again, yanking me back. “No Rowan! This is where I draw the line. We don’t know what’s up there, what could happen, and if anything did happen to you it will be my head do you understand?!”
I glanced down at his hand, he was very serious. Regardless, I was going up there whether he liked it or not. Although, I didn’t want to turn this into a fight. I’ll have to make him a deal if I want to get anywhere. Taking a deep breath, I leaned down towards him. “Look, if you’ll just give me 10 minutes up there-” My hands up to emphasize. “Ten, and I'll return without a fuss, and we will never speak of this again.” I offered. His eyes were hard as his grip continued to be unrelenting. I began to feel the tip of my tail going numb. “A-and you can come with me, for protection.” I added, hoping he would agree.
I was surprised and relieved as I felt his grip loosen ever so slightly, circulation returning. He then sighed the longest, most exhausting sigh I’ve ever heard pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. I couldn’t help the smile growing on my face, knowing what that meant.
“Ten minutes Rowan. ten, you hear?” I nodded eagerly as he released me, instantly dashing again for the surface. Breathing in the water was much more unpleasant than I remembered and I longed to fill my lungs with the surface. Our heads above water, Kirian followed close behind as I continued my journey for the lights.

As we approached, there rang a shout of joy, from what sounded like a woman. I looked around, eager to find the source, surely it must have been... “A human!” I gasped, excited. Of course, Kirian had to dash my hopes. “Don’t go getting any ideas there, idiot. I don’t like it. Let's go back now before anything happens!” He begged. “Quiet!” I snapped harshly. Damn it all, I was starting to get sick of his interfering tonight. I scanned the waters carefully, I’d never seen a human before. Seeing one for myself would make this whole night complete for me. What a sight that would be, an actual human. With legs... Whatever those are. My hopes began to sink as I saw nothing but the land ahead and the surrounding waves.

Then at last, I spotted her. A dark figure burst over the crest of the most recent wave, splashing wildly as it glided along the top, the creature's tail was indeed split in two as I'd heard. She stood upon them and rode the wave gracefully. Shouting as she lept in the air, then fell among the waves out of sight before quickly returning to the surface.
“I knew it, a human!” I exclaimed, watching her as she then climbed up and sat upon her long flat floating device. Her body was fascinating. Humans must be incredibly fast swimmers with two tails, what an amazing concept. Her form was like a mermaid from the waist up. Yet I’m sure even the princess would be shamed at her figure and grace upon the ruthless waves.
“Wow, she’s amazing...” my heart skipped as I watched her. Riding the mighty wave with ease.
Lost to the world, I found myself inching closer and closer.
“Rowan stop! Where are you going now?” Kirian continued to plead for me to stop, following behind. “Are you crazy?!”
I didn’t know what I was, all I knew was I needed to see more of this creature. Now with the wave gone, she sat up on her device and released her hair. Soon, she leaned forward on her stomach and began to swim out to sea, towards us. My head tilted at how she swam with... her arms? I stopped and watched. Is that how they swim? Was that more effective? I began to imitate the motion curiously.

Kirian once again grabbed me, hand over my mouth this time. He dragged me down like before. Now I was pissed...
I jerked my head from his grasp “Kirian! What the hell is your problem?!” “Quiet your highness, we have to go. Now.” He whispered firmly as we descended lower and lower. The castle became visible again. I continued to struggle in protest in his grasp. “And why is that pray tell?” I grunted. “I still had time!” Shouting furiously, I slammed my fist in his arm. His focus remained on the castle. He determined this time to bring me back. “There's a shark over there.”
My heart stopped as I looked around frantically spotting it in the distance, a great white shark.
Its huge body bellows around. I haven’t seen many of them in my life while trapped in the castle, but I have seen what they can do if they get a hold of a Merman and frankly no amount of healing abilities matter if your head or tail is removed. The great ball of light grew smaller and smaller as I was dragged towards the castle. Finally, I resigned myself to this fate and allowed myself to be brought back. Kirian must have sensed this as his grip softened. I guess it was nice while it lasted.

Suddenly, a faint scream in the distance made my blood run cold, I looked back to see the shark looming towards the human girl. Her legs frantically splashing as it circled her. She must have been injured, there was blood in the waters, I can smell it. Without thinking, I grabbed kirians sword from his hip and dashed to help. Kirians cries fell on deaf ears. I shouted in fury as I drew closer, the smell of blood getting stronger and stronger as I approached making me dizzy with rage. They were still a long way off. I wasn’t going to make it in time. “Damn it!” I shouted. Panicked as the shark glided toward her again.

Desperate, it was all I could think of to throw the sword driving the weapon through the waters with all my might. It made a straight shot for the sharks’ side. An eruption of blood clouding the waters around them, Struggling to see if it hit as I continued to race over. My tail burned with the effort. Suddenly, through the expanding red cloud of blood, the beast’s tail thrashed wildly. As it turned and dove desperately to the depths, his tail struck the girl. Thrown off her device, she fell into the sea. Frantically kicking for the surface. I continued on my way to help. The shark disappeared into the depths as I finally arrived at her side, collecting her to me. It was then I noticed. She had stopped moving. “Whoa hey!” I cried, trying to rouse her awake. I held her to my ear. Was she breathing? Only small bubbles escaped her lips. Once again pounding my tail as hard as I drove for the surface, bursting above with a violent splash.
Holding her close again I listened for breath.

She still wasn't breathing “Hey come on, hey!” I shook her gently. Why wasn’t she waking up? What else was I supposed to do? She needed to breathe and time was running out.
With no other ideas, I placed my mouth on hers. Giving her breath as best I could. Once, twice with no response. I leaned in to try once more when to my relief she started choking and coughing up water. Breathing a shaky sigh of relief as I held her tight to my body and glanced around the still waters still red around us. The blood in the water would only draw more predators. I swam for the shore. Only hesitating for a moment as there was less and less water and more and more sand, throwing me off my thoughts. I've never seen sand without water, it's bizarre but, this is obviously where she lives. So, holding her in one arm, I used my other to drag her far into the sand until we were both completely out of the water. The sand stuck to me as it scratched my tail and belly painfully. After both of us were safe on the beach. I laid her on her back. Then pulled myself to her side, eager to check her breathing once more. With my ear to her chest, the soft rhythm of her heart put my fears to rest. I smiled softly at the steady rise and fall of her chest. She did not wake. “I’m so glad you’re alright…” I whispered, carefully brushing her hair out of her face as it had stuck to her cheeks.
I looked her over, curiously. She was so beautiful, her skin was a golden shade like I'd never seen before, fascinating me. Her hair is an intriguing shade of red similar to brilliant red coral. Her lips… my breath hitched, transfixed on them. Remembering how they felt on mine. My fingertips brushed them tenderly, the world faded as I collected her in my arms. A sudden protectiveness for her washed over my, like I’ve never known. There was something about her that made my heart dance. Was this it? The feeling I have been dreaming of? Even though she hasn’t even spoken a word to me. I know this feeling was true love. Longing for more, I was being drawn to kiss her, to feel her lips against mine once more. My hand on her cheek I leaned her head to mine. My life had been leading me to this moment, this woman. Human or not, my heart was already hers. Our lips only a whisper away, I took a breath and-
A stone struck my head. “Ow!” I shouted, shaken from my thoughts as I rubbed at the pain glaring at my assailant, “Kirian” I spat. Annoyed. Damn him, I was just about ready to kill him for that. Especially since I was fully aware of what he wanted. He wanted me to leave her. Returning my attention to the girl as she slept in my arms peacefully. Despite our differences, no other creature can make me feel this was, I'm sure of it. She was everything I’ve been dreaming about, and yet...

I had to go, I knew that. It would be morning soon and everyone would be expecting me. I never meant for this to happen. I tenderly took her hand in mine not knowing what to do with these feelings now. My heart was no longer my own, possessed by the sleeping angel in my arms. I tried as best I could to memorize this moment. Her face, her hair. Her lips. I didn't want to forget her or this feeling. On her neck glistened a thin necklace. A silver pendant in the shape of a dolphin on a thin chain. I laid her down once more. She groaned, beginning to stir. Panicked, I grabbed her necklace and dashed for the water. Kirian stretched out as far as he could and grabbed my wrists helping me slip back to the sea. My heart threatened to break free of its confines as I clutched the necklace in my fist. Kirians face unreadable as we made our way back to the castle in silence.

“This is better than anything I could have hoped for” Ebony laughed. “It's just too perfect.” Calling to her red vapors she watched them rise from the pit, swirling together they revealed the prince as he slept soundly in his bed.
She eyed the vision with a smirk “What a fool, on top of his already questionable desires, he's now gone and fallen in love with a human, he's very easily tempted by such simple, useless things.” Her eyes grew cold as she watched him. “The boy has the entire ocean at his feet and he longs for literally anything else. Spoiled brat.”
A soft smile graced his lips as she watched him holding the necklace to his chest.
“And it's that foolishness that will begin my rise to power” Lifting her arms she began chanting in an ancient tongue.
Red vapors seeped into vision, entering the dolphin pendant. It began to glow a brilliant red as Rowan tossed in his sleep unaware.
“Now then, let us begin our little game shall we?”
Her laugh echoed ferociously throughout the cave as the pendant faded back to silver, appearing untouched.

The next morning I woke in bed, the necklace still in my hand. My eyes were groggy as I rubbed them with my fist and sat on the edge of my bed, admiring the pendant. “So, it wasn't a dream.” I thought to myself, relieved. Holding the pendant to my heart. “Thank goodness” although, going forward this could obviously be a problem, already longing to see her again...
Maybe it would be better if it was a dream. Suddenly Kirian entered my room unannounced making me jump. “K-kirian!” I shouted hiding the pendant behind me. “Get up, the princess will be down soon and it's best if you're there early to greet her.” He glared at me from the side as he tossed me my outfit. This time my silver wrist bands with sapphire accents and the princess’s pendant. Sighing internally as I pulled it over my head. Finally, knowing what love truly is makes this arrangement that much more vexing to me. Kirian reached over and fixed my ruffled hair. “There.” He handed me my crown and bowed quickly before without another word. I stood in silence, looking down at the crown in my hands. “He must still be mad…” I hadn’t meant to cause him so much trouble. “I’ll have to make it up to him later” Placing the crown on my head, I glanced back at my bed, picking up the pendant, not wanting to lose it. Of course looking down at myself wearing only wristbands and of course another necklace, there was nowhere I could exactly hide it. At the very least though, I have to keep it safe from prying eyes. So I placed it tenderly in a small silver box on my vanity before heading to breakfast.

In the dining room, servants flew around putting on the finishing touches on our meal in a hurry. Our best plates and cutlery were being used, no doubt to impress my in-laws and fiancé. The dining hall was one of the largest rooms in the castle with looming decorated pillars and towering windows beside the table leading to the balcony, overlooking the kingdom below.
“There you are my son!” turning around, I bowed politely to the king, he was surrounded by his usual crowd of concubines, a perfectly normal sight outside of formal affairs. “Good morning father” he smiled warmly at me as he motioned for me to swim up and meet his eye level. “Come closer” he whispered. I leaned in curiously as he waved off two mermaids from his sides. “Bet you're looking forward to the wedding night, huh my boy” my breath was swiftly knocked out of me as his large hand patted my back playfully. Regaining my composure I smiled weakly with a forced laugh, readjusting my crown. “I guess so, hadn't really thought about it” he raised a brow in surprise. “Oh? Is that so? Even with such a beauty as Sirena?” He shrugged with a soft chuckle. “Well, you're a better merman than me.” I grunted quietly as he hit me once more. “Well, besides all that you sure have done your old man proud and I know you will continue to do so, Myself and Sirena’s father will be discussing our own affairs elsewhere-” He leaned in again. “-just a word of warning Rowan. Valdimar is watching you like a shark out for blood and mark my words he WILL cut this whole thing off if he disapproves of anything, So don't you dare mess this up” His parade of mermaids flocked to his side once more as he made his exit.
That last part said playfully had a sharp edge to it, sending a shiver up my spine. I swam to the window, leaning on the pillar and looked out at my kingdom lost in thought, waiting for the princess to arrive.

“Damn him, I was sure he would keep the pendant on him” Ebony hissed, picking her teeth with a claw. “No matter, we just need to improvise a little. Maybe even face to face” Arms outstretched she chanted once more in her ancient tongue. Back in Rowan’s room, the small box began to rattle and shake vigorously, red vapors seeped out from under the lid, slowly entering Rowan’s mirror before dispersing again like the night before, appearing untouched.

My hair drifted in the currents, my eyes fixed on the glassy surface. Closing my eyes, I tried to recreate the sweetness of the air in my mind. Annoyed at the heavy ocean water I received instead. Was it always this unpleasant? And what of that girl, I wonder how she’s doing. Her face is so clear in my mind. I shook my head clearing my thoughts. “What am I doing?” I sighed. “What happened last night… I have to put it away, people are counting on me. It was wonderful and amazing, but I have a job to do” I fiddled with my new crest in my fingers “It was just a dream, I mean it’s not as if I can hope to-” “Hello Rowan” a gentle voice interrupted my thoughts as I turned to find the princess had come up behind me, her hand offered. Bowed at the waist I took her hand. “Good morning your highness” placing my lips in a gentle kiss upon it before escorting her back to the table. I took my seat across from her and our meals were brought out to us. Clams and oysters, with various rare meats. I picked at my food absentmindedly, not very hungry. “So-” she started. “Your father is very adamant that we marry as soon as possible” I took a bite of my food. Of course he is, he seems worried her father might back out of the arrangement and I'm sure he's just dying to make this official before anything happens. “-but I insisted we wait for my mother to arrive, I hope that's alright?” I looked up at her surprised. “She’s been rather ill as of late and couldn’t make it out for the engagement ceremony. In case my father thought you unworthy and refused, but now that we are engaged I’ve sent word back for her to be brought over for the wedding. She should arrive here in a week’s time” glancing at me she sought for a reaction as she also picked at her food nervously. I nodded with a smile, internally relieved I had more time.
“Of course Sirena, take all the time you need” I answered. To my surprise, she stood and motioned for me to follow her out to the balcony. As we gazed out at my kingdom, her eyes were soft and just beaming with pride. Mine however were still drawn to the surface without my realizing. Recalling the feeling of bursting above everything with a splash was what made me smile. She slipped her arm around mine, leaning her head on my shoulder. Bringing my thoughts back to the present. “I’m honestly so happy you accepted the engagement. I’ve been so unsure about this all my life, But the moment I saw your face, I could tell you were the one for me. That we are destined to govern the seas together” I swallowed thickly. Here I was, barely giving her a second thought when we were apart. I’m such a…

Soft cold lips met mine as she surprised me with a kiss, her hair swirling around us filling my head with its icy fragrance. “This is how it’s supposed to be.” I thought, allowing my eyes to drift closed. Focusing my thoughts on the princess in front of me, I did my best to return the kiss. Bringing my arms around hers I followed her lead. I could do this. Last night was just a... dream. Can I truly pretend it didn’t happen? I shook my head internally. Of course, I can.
Just need to marry this perfectly lovely Mermaid currently throwing herself at me and we can live happily ever...after. My eyes opened without me realizing it and began to pull back. “Is something the matter?” she blushed looking up at me worried “I’m so sorry was I too bold?” she asked, sensing my hesitance.

Gathering her hair in her hands she draped it over her shoulder. Her eyes grew sad, making me panic. “No, no, it's alright, uh.” I stammered rubbing the back of my neck awkwardly, smiling “I’m just not feeling well is all, I think I’ll return to my chambers to rest awhile” she looked confused before glancing behind her as three servants brought out various books, fabrics, sea flowers, and decorations “but I thought we were to begin the preparations for the wedding this morning” Biting my lip I bowed to her formally. I had to get out of here. “I’m sorry Sirena please continue without me. I’m sure you have much better taste than me anyway and we'll continue this at dinner tonight, yes?” her eyes were unreadable. She returned my bow “Yes, your majesty” That made me cringe. Not exactly a good sign that she was calling me “your majesty” again, but I didn’t have the time to think about it. I had to be alone. I had to figure this out. Turning to leave, I raced around the corner and out of sight, making a B-Line for my chambers. Passing Kirian in the hall.

I slammed my door, pounding my fist on the vanity table. “Damn it!” Why was I so weak, what is wrong with me? I met one human and I’ve lost my mind. What is it about her that captured my soul as she has? “I can’t stop thinking about her” In a fit of rage, I threw all the items in my reach to the floor, including the box holding the necklace, softly clinking on the stone floor. Scared of losing it, I picked it up and admired it. “What’s that you got there, your highness?” Kirian interrupted, I turned to face him. He was leaning against my door frame, arms crossed looking angrier than I’ve ever seen. As he began to approach me I backed away, a hand covering the pendant. “What is it Rowan?!” he hissed backing me into a corner. “It's mine is what it is”' I replied pulling out my sword from the stand I held my stance. Kirian only sighed “Rowan please, this is very serious. You need to think about this” he pleaded “Last night was a mistake, I never should have taken you up there” That only made things worse. What was he saying? I’m no better than an animal that got out of its cage and he was foolish to even let me once taste the freedom of choice he uses every day of his life. I shouted at him, slashing my sword at his head. He dodged ducking to the side as he drew his own sword. “Will you please look at yourself! You’re a mess and you’re going to destroy this entire alliance for everyone” my heart went cold at those words, it was true. At this rate, I was going to mess everything up but, why was I so wrong for thinking about myself. Am I so wrong to want to be truly happy? Unmoving we both stared each other down in deafening silence. “Give it to me,” Kirian said, holding out his hand “Hand it over and we’ll pretend this never happened, just like you said we were going to do, remember?” My eyes lowered, he was right. I gripped the pendant. I’m holding on to a fantasy, she's a human anyway… and I’m an engaged Merprince. What was I expecting to happen, anyway. It was impossible, and I had realities and responsibilities to think about.

Lowering my sword I hesitantly began to hand it over. The pendant barely touched Kirians fingertips before I pulled back. “No! Damn it all Kirian, get out!” I shouted, my eyes ablaze with fury at his constant interference lately. Kirian tried to approach “Rowan-” With a hard shove, I pushed him back “Am I your prince or not?!” I spat, Bringing myself above him “I said, get out!” his eyes hardened before bowing at the waist and leaving me be. That’s the first time I’d ever used my status against him, what’s happening to me? My hands gripped my hair, knocking my crown to the floor with a clang. “What’s wrong with me?!” I shouted, curling in on myself. Then, a voice. Sharp and cold as a blade entered my thoughts that was not my own. “Why nothing wrong with you my prince…” Startled, I looked around. No one was there. “W-who's there?” I asked, searching for the voice I grabbed my sword from the floor. Turning to the mirror as it began to glow, surrounded in strange red vapors. They began to collect round me, pulling me closer and closer. Soon I was face to face with my own reflection, only inches away. My eyes widened as I saw it change, swirling and fading. Soon I was looking a Mermaid in the eyes. Crimson red eyes met my gold.

Her hair was extremely long, even for a mermaid. And her tail was much more eel-like than I'd ever seen on our kind “Who are you?” I whispered. She smiled, her shark-like teeth making me flinch internally. “I am called Mistress Ebony, and I hear you’re having a little problem, my prince” “H-how do you know about that?” I stammered.
“Oh, it’s written all over your soul plain as day, I’ve seen this before in fact and I can help you” she smiled. “How can you help me exactly?” I asked. Her image swirled away, now showing me the events of last night. Me and the human girl on the sand. I watched it intently. Hand gripping the pendant as I saw myself holding her in my arms. Gazing longingly at a love I knew I could never have, my heart ached at the thought. I continued to watch as I brushed her hair from her face tenderly. “You wish to be with this woman do you not?” My voice was frozen, I didn’t know if this witch was trustworthy “I…” The image changed again, Showing my kiss only moments ago with the princess and how I pulled away from her advances so quickly.

“Or is it your betrothed who holds your heart?” I couldn’t look anymore and pulled away from the mirror. “Leave me alone!” I shouted. “You poor, poor soul. So tortured and trapped” I covered my ears, I didn’t want to hear this. “Stop!” Her eyes grew cold, annoyed. She scratched her nails along the length of the mirror, its screeching vibrations halting my breath momentarily. “Hear me, Prince Rowan! I can give you what you most desire, but make my words. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I will not offer it again.” Uncovering my ears, I caught my breath. “It is your choice and no one else’s. Come to my home by nightfall if you truly wish to be free from this heartache!” Her reflection gathered into a red cloud once more and returned to my pendant.

Alone once more I waited for my ears to stop their ringing. I removed the necklace from myself and sat on the floor. Groaning heavily, I laid back. Staring at my ceiling. “What my heart most desires, huh?” I guess it was fairly obvious what I wanted considering everything but… Is it alright? Allowing myself to make that choice? A choice that would change not only the course of my life but he lives of my people and kingdom forever?


© 2020 Tamararosehall


Author's Note

Tamararosehall
What do you think of the:
- Dialogue
- Characters
- Story
- Names

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
Added on June 18, 2020
Last Updated on June 18, 2020
Tags: Love, drama, romance, action


Author

Tamararosehall
Tamararosehall

Nanaimo, BC, Canada



About
23 years okd and passionate about finally getting my first book written its been my dream for years and i tend to over think thing and finally just started and am in desperate need of honest feed back more..

Writing