Silence

Silence

A Story by Tash Hill
"

So pause, can you hear that? . . . Silence.

"

         When silence is met, all noise must be conquered. The two cannot possibly survive in the same space; for a glass cannot be both completely empty and completely full. When a cacophony of sounds bombards ones ears in an almost overwhelming din, there simply can be no silence.


         Then, when one seems to be suffocating in silence, no noise can exist for than it is not silence, but sound. But silence �" it seems �" is not as soundless as we always assume. For silence has the ability to scream and holler and whisper and gasp. It is in the silence   that we speak the most truth - with expressions and actions, observation and understanding.  Now whether that means that silence is simply impossible to achieve or that it is just a little louder than first imagined, is impossible to figure out.


         So pause . . . can you hear that?


                  . . . Silence. 

© 2014 Tash Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Extremely well written...loved it...and I must admit that ..

"silence " it seems " is not as soundless as we always assume"

or may be that I haven't found silence as soundless yet...so right here right now I think I should pause...could I hear that?... :) :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Silence is golden, it is said. And truly, there is never complete silence. I think I have only experienced something close to silence once, up in the north of Canada, in the bush, off the highway to Alaska, on a perfectly calm, still day. Not a breeze to rustle a branch, no birds singing, no animals calling, no cars on the highway nearby, no planes passing overhead, 35,000 feet above me. I did pause, and I did hear the silence. It was magical.

A lovely write again Tash, and thank you for taking me to that magical few moments I spent that one morning.

I am very impressed with the range of things you write about, the selections you have chosen to share here are so diverse. I love it.

Did you ever pop into a bookstore and look at Nunn's Maralinga novel yet? She is worth looking into, writes great tales of Australia, Beneath the Southern Cross is about your home town, and got me started on her.

Have a lovely evening, I am always amazed when I think I am ready to start work, and you are winding down the day there. : )

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 13, 2014
Tags: silence, noise, life, learn, listen, love, look

Author

Tash Hill
Tash Hill

Sydney, Illawarra, Australia



Writing