Heartland Hurt, Part One

Heartland Hurt, Part One

A Story by Tash Hill
"

A shadow on the very edge of civilization, an old ghost town that no one spared a single thought for anymore.

"

A shadow on the very edge of civilization, an old ghost town that no one spared a single thought for anymore.  Some named it quiet, tranquil even, but those used to the hustle and bustle of a city teeming full of people, labelled this place . . . dead.

 

The Gums stood watch, tall and proud; in the stillness they seemed to loom overhead like vast, unmoving sentinels of the land. They had lived long lives and bared witness to much hardship; much like the creatures who lived and died beneath their reaching limbs.

 

White, scraggly scars twirled and twisted upon their cragged trunks; proof of their stoutness in the face of nature’s best. Their roots were buried deep, hidden from view. As the Blue Gums aged and matured, their connection with the land grew also, for every year that they remained standing merely strengthened the relationship between Gaia and her children.

 

The light brush of wind was like a playful and joyful caress; the Blue Gums’ leaves created a raspy tune as if to join the wind in its innocent games. Far above, the large, ghost like moon looked down upon the scene like some ancient being; too world weary to dance with the playful breeze. Wings fluttered and small grey paws scampered across leaf covered ground as the wind continued to play the game of its own creation.  

 

And then the rich men came with their monsters made of metal and it was all reduced to wreckage, and then again to dust.

© 2014 Tash Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the fact that it is dark especially the ending. Looking forward to the continuations.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tash Hill

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! Yeah, I am writing the second part right now. There will probably be three or f.. read more
Mirra

9 Years Ago

Really? That's great! Please send me a read request I really love to read more!
A nice little introduction to whatever you have in mind here, all quiet and tranquil, until the last sentence. You do have a way with words Tash. Well done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tash Hill

9 Years Ago

Thanks for commenting yet again. Yeah, I've been listening to John Williamson lately and because of .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 22, 2014
Last Updated on May 22, 2014
Tags: australia, land, outback, country, human, destruction, fire, metal

Author

Tash Hill
Tash Hill

Sydney, Illawarra, Australia



Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114