Heartland Hurt, Part Two

Heartland Hurt, Part Two

A Story by Tash Hill
"

A cacophony of screams rent the air as with a horrendous crack, the first sentinel was felled.

"

“Good work, mates!” the Stetson wearing workers whooped in approval as their Foreman sauntered past, a steaming mug off coffee grasped tightly in his hand. “Keep up the work and we can be free of this b*****d place.” Another cheer and the men went back to their work �" some even sharing a joke or two between them as they readied their weapons of mass destruction.      


A cacophony of screams rent the air as with a horrendous crack, the first sentinel was felled. Howling in protest, the wind tore and ripped through the bushland, its fury and pain clear as the once strong limbs oozed sticky sap like blood spilling from an open wound.


The metallic coughing of a steel beast sounded through the night, alarming the small Ringtails as they tore through the trees in terror. Black plumes of acidic smoke coiled and twisted through the air like venomous serpents.  


Wombats fled into their burrows and mice screeched as the gargantuan monsters led a path of utter annihilation through the brush. A flock of pink crested Gullahs shrieked in shock as another Gum was torn free from its roots; an ancient heart beating out its final moments in the chaotic din.


Sick smiles of pleasure were painted upon the two-legged’s faces as they walked about upon heavy boots that dug into the leaf covered soil, leaving shallow abrasions to pockmark the earth. They didn't understand the land that they trampled so easily and without care; didn't comprehend that it lived and breathed, that it could feel pain.


In the distance, hiding behind a grassy knoll, a woman with ebony skin and chocolate eyes wailed as her Mother was blown to smithereens and then again to ash.  

© 2014 Tash Hill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really well written and dramatic piece, only thing I would say to improve is you used the word 'tore' or 'torn' three times, two of the particularly close together, so maybe consider another word to replace it? Awesome writing all the same.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You foreshadowed this piece quite well in the first chapter, and managed to show the reader the wanton destruction of the habitat. I like how you bring in the aboriginal woman, silently witnessing what is happening to her land as well.
I really think these chapters could easily be expanded to be longer, and give more information as to the purpose of the land clearing, is it for mining, are the trees being harvested for their wood, whatever.

Again, Tash, a well written work, I enjoy your writing, whether it be an angst filled story of love unreturned, or your stories that show your love of the earth.

Keep it coming. And thanks for sending the read request, I appreciate the notice that you have written something new.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The vivid descriptions made it realistic. I didn't expect the ending but this is really a great work! Two thumbs up ^_^!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Tash Hill

9 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment yet again! Yeah the ending leads into the next part ... read more
Mirra

9 Years Ago

Your welcome . . . again ^_^ haha lol.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2014
Last Updated on May 26, 2014
Tags: australia, land, outback, country, human, destruction, fire, metal

Author

Tash Hill
Tash Hill

Sydney, Illawarra, Australia



Writing