AMY

AMY

A Chapter by Natasia Duckett

My life has never really been a glamorous one. Growing up in the westbumfuck area of Tennessee, you can assume why. Nothing but mud, dirt, mosquitoes and just overall nothingness for miles can really affect a girl. Seriously.

I didn’t see legit grass until I was about 6.

I remember asking my cousin Sarah

“Hey what’s all this green stuff in your mud?”

She just looked at me puzzled and said with a weird look
“Amy, are you a hermit or something? That’s grass.”

I know it’s super crazy, but my dad his whole life had been chasing the “ American dream” which in his opinion was “living off the land” and “working hard for your own” so needless to say we milked our own cow, shaved our own sheep, and slaughtered our own dinner. My dad worked very hard but he loved it so much it didn’t really feel like work. At least that’s what he said.

Which I get I guess. If you enjoy what you do then of course you’d be happy. And I’m happy to have grown up with a hard working dad.
Yes his mindset could be a little dated at times but I loved him all the same.
He worked on cars. Very hands on man. Loved being a mechanic and just experiencing the grim of it all.

That part always puzzled me because I wondered how in the world he attracted my momma. Who was always so strict about cleanliness and hygiene.

Momma says it was love at 1st sight. Every night she’d put me to sleep I’d ask her
“Momma, how’d you and daddy meet?”

And she’d look at me with her deep blue eyes and say “no matter what know that I loved your daddy the 1st time I laid eyes on him and you were made out of that love, sugar bear.”

Then she’d kiss me on my head and I’d fall asleep. Happy to have been made outta love.

Here I am now. 18 years old. Having known nothing but my mommas homemade earl grey cookies and the muddy hills of Tennessee, I set off the college in California. I’ve never been there before. I mean honestly the only place I’ve ever been was my hometown. And once to the school in town to get my books for homeschooling. I had also been to the grocery store a few times with momma. Other than that I was always home and kept to myself. So this should be an exciting adventure.

I’m super nervous. Never been on a plane before. Everything looks so fancy and nice. But I guess everything will seem fancy to a 18 year old hermit on an adventure.

I settle into the plane and I start to unpack the cookies momma made for me for the trip. She seemed especially sad that morning. Which I understood. Her youngest daughter going off to college. Finally having an empty nest. It’ll be great for her and dad to be able to have time together without anyone else around.

“Call me as soon as you land” she says as she handed me a cold piece of glass and metal. It had a smooth black screen with a button in the middle with a few buttons on the side. I look on the back an there sat the official bitten apple in the middle of the glossy back.

“Momma how did you afford an iPhone?” I wanted to ask her. But before I could she grabbed both my hands and said “don’t worry about how I got it. It’s yours for you to stay in touch with us” I could tell she was fighting back tears as she continued “the house number as well as your daddies work number is saved for emergencies”

Shortly after that momma drove me to the airport where she finally did cry, we hugged and I boarded.

As I’m getting off the plane immediately everything is definitely different than Tennessee. Lights are brighter. Sounds are louder. People are moving quickly in cars as well as on their feet. Which you definitely won’t see in my town, Just ask my daddy bout his road rage.

It’s almost overwhelming for me. I take a seat to try to take it all in. Finally on my own for the first time in literally ever. Finally my life can begin.

I open the door to my dorm room and I see a girl unpacking her boxes. She has thick black curls covering her face as she looks down to read one of her many labeled boxes. Her hair was gorgeous. I instantly wanted to be friends with her. Which made me nervous. Nervous as hell honestly.

“Hello” I say nervously as I reach my hand out. I guess to give her a handshake. Because evidently I’m a 45 year old business man closing a successful business meeting with the big wigs of the company.

She looks startled as I move closer to her

“No! Wait!” She yells. I freeze in place But it’s too late. Her eyes start to fill up as I move my feet to reveal a small jewelry box. It looked like it had a dolphin on it with some small waves on a bed of sand.

Her sadness turned to anger as I sat there wide eyes like a deer in headlights.
“Omg you dumbass!” She screamed with rage in her eyes as tears fall down slowly.
“Look what you did!”

I move to open my mouth to quickly apologize but she cuts me off and screams at me to get the f**k out.

“Bu-but I’m your-“

“I DONT CARE! JUST GET OUT!”

I Ran out the room and quickly shut then door behind me.

Wow. 2 minutes into official college life and I’ve already been kicked out of my own room. Great job Amy. Just spectacular.

As I’m walking down to the quad area I see a sign that says “WELCOME TO THE BEST FOUR YEARS OF YOUR LIFE”

Yeah If I don’t f**k it up.


© 2017 Natasia Duckett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on October 11, 2017
Last Updated on October 11, 2017


Author

Natasia Duckett
Natasia Duckett

San diego, CA



About
Hello fellow writers! My names Natasia. Nice to meet all :) I've always loved writing ever since I was young but over the years it kinda fell behind. But I'm happy to say I'm back to it and I'm so exc.. more..

Writing