Love is the cold snow

Love is the cold snow

A Poem by Tech
"

Second entry in Set up for a series.

"

Together in this igloo with the irony of ice being the only thing to keep us warm. Arms around me but not for romance but for my heat. The snow started early tonight leaving us stranded and cooped up.


We could not enjoy the moon or the stars as the white storm hit us in the dark sky. Instead we are stuck staring in each other’s eyes. This is not a sentence or punishment but sometimes it can feel that way.


We have drifted as time has passed. You and I of yesterday is dead but some spark may still be alive. I know I don’t look at you with the same sparkle in my eyes as years ago, but the same can be said of you. At this point in life we just deal with each other, not having the same sensation of excitement we had as kids. The secrecy of being alone, sneaking around to not get caught. The beating of our hearts as I unhitched your laced bra or the lip biting I saw as you unzipped my pants. 


What we feel now is simply contempt or a lower form of this emotion which you or I can explain. For some reason, however, we both stay. Are we afraid we can’t find something better if we left? Scared of change? I remember when I used to caress your skin which made you shiver. Kiss your stomach which made you smile. Hold you so close you fell asleep as we cuddled. 


But now if I graze you the clenching of teeth and rude mumbles are my only rebuttal. Is our love gone? Become as cold as the snow that surrounds our lonely abode? 


Tonight is different though. How is it we ended up this way? Your body being held by my arms in such a calm manner. Your head on my shoulder, no tension just relaxed muscles, just as if we were teens. You pull me closer, my heart picks up its pace to something that could match a running deer. What is all this feeling rushing to my once numb heart? What started as a bitter embrace to survive the harsh winter night has become a spectacle that could melt the walls around us. You look into my eyes and I feel something familiar yet foreign, something I long thought had disappeared.


We are one moving in unison to the beating of our hearts. 

Everything feels like part of a script. Something I’ve done before and it’s comfortable but has been rewritten. A new adaptation of an old and stale play. I sense it in my aging body. Our rhythm picks up speed but you never miss a beat. 


Your hips hypnotize me with the tempo they keep, your breathing becoming the amazing chorus to this performance. The movement is a beautifully orchestrated piece that only you and I can perform, no audience to behold it but still something that seems well recited. 


As our time to end approaches I feel regret and fear. I don’t want my heart to grow cold again. This sensation of blood surging through my veins, fire burning in my limbs. Do you feel the same? The rush begins. Our bodies are no longer in our control. They move on their own accord and the rhythm we just had breaks into a dance that only two in love could ever know. When the blood flows back to my head so does the recent regret. Is it over? Will we go back to “normal?” My heart sinks and a stray tear finds its way out of my eye. 


Then I feel something, not emotional but tactile. A soft hand rubs my forearm. I look down to see you resting on my chest. “Is everything alright?” you say. I just smile down at you and it seems I gave an answer better than one of a thousand words. You look up and smile back after which you return to listening to my slowly steadying heart. 


The cold can be a harsh thing if taken lightly but so can love. For the first time in years I have you next to me not to stay alive but to simply have my company. I wrap myself around your beautiful body and hold you close. Hold you so tight in fear of losing what we have now. You put your hand in mine and all these thoughts dissolve.

 

Seasons come and go. Snow falls and melts. Years pass by and nights make way for mornings. The only thing I can rely on to stay the same is the love I feel for you.

© 2014 Tech


Author's Note

Tech
First time writing in a semi erotic manner so go easy on me with this one and any advice is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have caught the emotion really well, the reader can certainly fall straight in and relate to what seems to be the dwindling fire in a long relationship. The uncertainty, the doubt, the not knowing of it all ... To me it seems more of a story than a poem ... but you know me, I am no expert ...

I loved it, it caught my attention and kept it ... x x

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
1 Review
Added on July 6, 2014
Last Updated on July 15, 2014
Tags: Human Nature

Author

Tech
Tech

Ventura, CA



About
College Grad who is just experimenting with writing and seeing were it leads me. Some of the poems posted will be old and naive others will have more thought and care. more..

Writing
The Answer The Answer

A Poem by Tech