Three seconds

Three seconds

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

I have fallen victim to its seductive lure more often than I care to admit. It has become clear my control was an illusion and I am now at its whim.

"

Word count 332  @TegonMaus

 

        In the beginning, when I was young, I had control over it, I was the master and it was at my command.  I was certain of it.  Now as time has gone by, I have fallen victim to its seductive lure more often than I care to admit.  It has become clear my control was an illusion and I am now at its whim.  I've tried to fight it, to control it, to hide how badly I need it and I confess...  I fear time is running out.  Everyone will know,  I am a time traveler. 

I can jump into the future at will.  Sometimes it's only a few minutes, sometimes it's as much as three hours but I assure you, I have the ability, the power to do so any time I wish.

It is a lonely responsibility to move through time but I am one of the lucky ones, I have a companion... Auggie.  To all outward appearances he is merely an over grown cat but believe me when I say he is in full belief he is a dog.

When he is not patrolling the fence line, he is faithfully at my side waiting for the opportunity of our next jump.  As you might expect the method is quite complex and the electronic equipment involved is beyond the understanding of an ordinary mind.  The choice of the right frequency is paramount to an early departure and ultimately the success of the jump.  Once chosen, usually a cooking ­channel, I take my place... reclining to allow Auggie access to my chest... it's the most comfortable position for him to stand guard over me and then, in what seems like a mere 3 seconds to me I am transported to the future.

"Nice nap?" my wife asks and I smile wryly comfortable in the knowledge I have successfully jumped once more and she is none the wiser... I am a time traveler and I have come from the past to help.

 

 

© 2015 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Tegon,

Thanks for entering the competition. Alas not a winner this time. I do not have the time to provide a detailed critique on all the submissions, but a few remarks:

- the 'control' is never lost is it? By starting this way you make it seem that control will be lost, but it isn't.
- first sentence you keep repeating control, using other words (master, command) but it adds nothing new
- the role of Auggie is not exactly clear
- in my opinion the end is a bit of a cliché

But it was a nice read all in all. Keep it up!

Regards,

Sesame

@followsesame on Twitter
www.themagiccave.com

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ha! I think that time travelers are not as rare as you say. For I am one, too! Ha! This had me grinning, Tegon. Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is awesome! I wish I was a time traveler. "The Time traveler's wife" really propelled my fascination for this type of fantasy. Well penned, Tegon!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I just read this wonderful little story, I too am a time traveler, mysterously it only happen's as soon as my wife begins to talk to me. Nice one.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Will. Send me something you would like to share and I will return the favor
Will Neill

10 Years Ago

Take your pick-they are all there,any time you feel like it.
Will
Loved it!! Kept me reading to the end, with the payoff really well delivered.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Hi Steve... thanks for the read. Please send something you would like to share.
Steve Boseley

10 Years Ago

I am almost finishing my first submission here: "Road to Nowhere". Needs another rewrite but give i.. read more
Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

I'll give it a read... by the way I like your picture
This story is pretty cool, I like it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Hi Violet... thank you for the read. Please send something you would like to share.
Violet Batt

10 Years Ago

If you like vampires, you can read my first book, Appsalootly Batty, if you would like.
Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

I'll give it a read... if you like Vampires try my story Count William
good work! I enjoy the way it is written, where it is almost like a song (to me any ways)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Pheonix... thank you. That’s a very kind description... I try to make my writing flow with a certa.. read more
Pheonix Sojourn

10 Years Ago

I am a musician/writer and many other things so when I see something that has a rhythm, I can think .. read more
This is just amazing. It is witty and incredibly clever, and although it's a story I detect a satisfying amount of lyrical language, a soothing rhythm. I think this lends a great deal of effect to the amusing qualities.
This is a quietly warming story, and doesn't need to be in your face to make you smile.

One of the best things I have read on this site. Congratulations, you made me smile.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You are always good for a chuckle, Tegon! I'm a time traveler, too, but I travel back into the past. No overgrown cat on my chest, but I do have a dog, Mister - who thinks he is part cat - under the foot of my recliner. My time travel is happening with much more frequency, and I am a bit worried, I may soon be lost in the past.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I suspected what you were talking about and it still made me laugh when I got to the end. The addition of Auggie makes the story even better. Very well told.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Craig. Please send something you would like to share
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I think you might enjoy this one... http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/abcblair/1138502/
I didn't expect quite so satiable an ending. In fact, it made me smile, fellow napper/time-traveler that I am.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the read. Please send something you would like to share and I will return the favor.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1506 Views
21 Reviews
Added on April 21, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2015
Tags: time travel, electronic equipment, cat, dog, jump

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing