The Devil is in the details...

The Devil is in the details...

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

In the course of my day I travel an average of 120 to 150 miles a day. That amount of traveling puts me in a good number of homes by the end of each week.

"

In the course of my day I travel an average of 120 to 150 miles a day.  That amount of traveling puts me in a good number of homes by the end of each week. This past week I was repairing a faulty wall heater.    As usual everyone home at the time gather around to watch me work… particularly children.   With them in full attendance I must watch my tools carefully…  a cordless drill or flashlight is a temptation to great for many to resist.

                As I lay on the floor changing out the burner assembly Davis, a precocious 5 year old, has his hands on everything and asking a hundred questions… endless, senseless questions. His mother, also part of my audience, admonishes him repeatedly but to little or no effect.  He has my flashlight turning it on and off and shining it in my eyes.  When it’s slapped from his hand by his mother  he simply grabs my cordless drill and runs around pulling the trigger setting the remaining three children present into a frenzy of laughter and excitement.

                When finally caught… with the help of three adults and forced to sit down… he pouts for a few moments and then begins to inch his way back to me and my tools.  He eyes his mother quickly and scoots a little closer. 

Now as it turns out I have a couple of surgical scars that are clearly visible and I can see him truly inspecting me for the first time.  

“What happened to your head?” he asked still inching closer to my flashlight.

Without missing a beat his mother speaks up.

“He was a bad little boy just like you and he grew him some horns. God done reached down and slapped the horns right off his head… making him a good man to fix heaters. Is that what you want? You want God to reach down and slap the horns right off your head so you can fix heaters?”

He fidgets nervously looking to me and then to his mother. Tears began to well in his eyes…

“No mama,” he gulps “I want to play drums.”

I let him keep the flashlight.          

© 2015 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice vignette showing a realistic scenario with clarity. I'm not getting the funny aspects so much, but your story is endearing & true to life. Congrats on winning the contest.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love it, short sweet, and full of humor.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I love the ending, "No mama, I want to play drums." My girls love the drums and they love music in general and it's a good thing that kids are curious. It's how they learn. A fun write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


this must be the kind of behaviour that you get all the time and while it is a really cute story it is a sad comment on parenting in America
if you are so inclined I wold be grateful if you could give me your opinion on a story I am working on its called Annabelle lee
nightshade

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

675 Views
4 Reviews
Added on December 15, 2014
Last Updated on December 25, 2015
Tags: Children, worker, flashlight, horns, the devil

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing