Namid

Namid

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

I stopped just outside, peering into that dark mouth. The roof glowed with tens upon thousands of soft green dots each reflected in the wet sand that made up the floor of this place.

"

 

Ahead, in the dark, the ground shifted becoming more rocky in nature, rising to become a small mountain. Bowen took the lead holding his sputtering torch well over head lighting our way. As we followed the water down its path we stayed to the right remaining on relatively level ground as the stone rose well over head beside us. I was forced to jump from rock to rock as Bowen and Grake simply stepped from one to the other. I struggled in this manner for far longer than I wished. Then after what seemed like forever Bowen lowered his torch to the water at our feet and extinguished the torch Then something moved; wriggled might be a better description. Embedded in the wall just ahead of us a tiny point of green light glowed in the stone wall, then another appeared and another. As we drew closer hundreds of them quickly became thousands and thousands became much, much more. The wall of stone opened to become a mouth of a cave of sorts, more accurately a dark passage, lit by a soft green glow.


As we passed under them each wriggled wildly growing dimmer and then brighter over and over.


"What are these," I asked reaching out to the wall.


"They are worms," Bowen said as I ran a gentle finger over them making their light go out. "They are poisonous brother, do not eat them."


Grake gave me a very sour look over his shoulder before swinging his head toward Bowen again.


"I wouldn't, why would I eat them? Why would you say that?" I groused.


"Your people are strange to us. The Norha would not eat a glowing thing."


"Really? I thought the Norha ate almost anything, dead or alive," I countered.


"Yes, if we killed it, if it were soaked in blood and the smell of fear... not because it glowed," Grake returned without turning to look at me.


Few things aggravated me more than to be scolded but scolded by a Norha was to much to bear.


"Come brother, they sleep. Tonight we eat like Shalics," Bowen called running ahead disappearing into the mouth of the cave with Grake following close behind.

I stopped just outside, peering into that dark mouth. The roof glowed with tens upon thousands of soft green dots each reflected in the wet sand that made up the floor of this place.


"Brother," Bowen said offering his hand.


"I'm fine, just admiring our little worm friends here, that's all," I returned.


"Do we stand here because he wants to eat them or is there some other reason we go hungry?" Grake asked roughly, pushing past Bowen to stand in front of me again.


"He... it's the cave," Bowen whispered.


Grake looked about quickly, tapping the walls with his huge hand, looking for Bowen's meaning. "I see nothing."


"Come," I said marching into the darkness.


Much to my relief it was short lived. On the other side the most unbelievable thing I had ever seen. In front of me the dark sky was divided in half... down it's center a wide swath of bright stars, thousands upon thousands upon thousands of them all stacked on top of one another creating a pale yellow shaft of light that started at the horizon, thick in its beginning - stretching well over head, tapering off to form a point.


"I have never seen so many stars," I gasped, mesmerized by the sheer number of them.


"They are the Norha," Grake said with pride, thumping his chest.


"They are the Kindred," Bowen corrected, his voice stern in its assertion.


"I beg your pardon?" I said more than a little confused.


"It is Namid... the place we wait." Bowen said as if that explained it for me.


"Do you see? He knows nothing of the world," Grake complained tossing a rock in disgust as he spoke.


"He knows nothing of us," Bowen said, turning me to look at the swath of light that cut through the night sky. "Each that you see, what you call stars, are the souls of the Kindred. The largest, brightest are the souls of a Shalic and the bravest among us that has passed. All are waiting for the Goddess to return to take them home."


"I see stars and you see the souls of the Kindred that have died?"


"Yes," Bowen and Grake said at the same time.


"I see... and these?" I asked pointing at a small handful of scattered, faint stars that lightly dotted the dark sky on each side of the main swath.


"Those are your people," Grake said harshly.


Though I held no belief in their explanation Grake's assertion cut me far more than I would have thought possible or willing to allow them to see.

© 2015 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your story, despite little grammatical/ spelling errors (which I honestly don't feel the need to pick at) you have a great story here. It's original and unique with an interesting premise. I particularly enjoyed the glow-worms (they exist in some caves where I live too). I hope to read and learn more about this world you've created. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the read Josiah not to mention the note !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
1 Review
Added on December 10, 2015
Last Updated on December 10, 2015
Tags: Tegon Maus, Norha, Grake, Shalic

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing