Everyone kicks the cow

Everyone kicks the cow

A Story by Tegon Maus
"

The room instantly exploded into madness.... people shouting, laughing, slapping each other on the back and exchanging money, pandemonium now ruled.

"


This past week found me in a home that was having electrical problems...  crazy, haunted, electrical problems.  A small,  single bed studio apartment situated in Riche Canyon it stands at no more than 800 square foot. 


Unfortunately, on this day all my jobs were running a little long making each that followed that much harder to get back on track.  I was rushed, frustrated and in no mood to hear my phone ring insistently with more problems waiting for my arrival.  To make things worse the tenant was having a birthday party. 


The birthday boy, Kirk, a 27 year old, unemployed... let's say college student for lack of a better label, was already well on his way to being plastered.  By the time I arrived he was telling his guests that he was faster than a speeding bullet and was enlisting volunteers to prove it.  There were at least twelve people standing around drinking, partying, laughing and barbecuing...  In general mostly in my way.


The electrical problem was in the back bedroom.


On my first trip to investigate the problem the crowd of people... almost silent upon my entering, suddenly gushed with excitement at my passing and then fell into open disappointment and then quiet exchanges, whispering amongst themselves.


I barley noticed... the first time.  I returned to the truck for my electric tester and as I made my way through the crowded living room the swarm of people repeated the 'wave' like reaction of my presents.  Their voices rose in unison growing in excitement only to fall on the rocks of disappointment once more.


This time I noticed.  The level of excitement was defiantly attached to me somehow.  Something was happening I couldn't quite put my finger on.


Having traced the problem to the attic I now needed a ladder to complete my task.  Upon my return, ladder in hand, the crowd suddenly shut down... dead quiet... all eyes were on me as I passed through the room and then the unthinkable... setting at the base of the kitchen door jamb a ceramic cow.  To my personal shock and disappointment I had accidentally kicked it sending it sliding across the floor in a dozen pieces.


The room instantly exploded into madness.... people shouting, laughing, slapping each other on the back and exchanging money, pandemonium now ruled. 


"What the hell Kirk?"  I asked, now irritated beyond belief.


"Dude," he slurred wrapping a heavy arm around my shoulder.  "I just made $20 bucks!"


I was trying to get a grip on what was happening and apparently it showed on my face when he said "Dude... everyone kicks the cow."

© 2015 Tegon Maus


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a lot of fun! Amazing what can happen out and about on the 'normal work day'.

There is a typo here:

swarm of people repeated the 'wave' like reaction of my presents

Presence?

Posted 7 Years Ago


Tegon Maus

7 Years Ago

AAAwwkk ! See how you are with your mad spelling skills and all ?? Thanks for the read S. As it tu.. read more
Shannon

7 Years Ago

We all have way more difficulty with our own work! Lol. Glad to be of help!
I've now read two of your vignettes & it sounds like your profession brings you into the middle of many fun & interesting situations. Good for you, that you use this lovely free material, combined with your keen sense of observation & ability to weave a solid storyline! I volunteered at an animal shelter for 6 years & I wish I'd written down more of the interesting situations during that tenure. The best writing is real life, just like this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 20, 2015
Last Updated on December 20, 2015
Tags: Tegon Maus, cow, birthday party

Author

Tegon Maus
Tegon Maus

CA



About
Dearheart, my wife of fifty one years and I live in Cherry Valley, a little town of 8,200 in Southern California. In that time, I've built a successful remodeling /contracting business. But tha.. more..

Writing