Eulogy For A Dragon

Eulogy For A Dragon

A Story by Melinda

You came into my life in the summer of 2000. I saw you, just one tiny face among a half dozen or so identical tiny faces, and yet for some reason, on that day, in that petshop, your eyes met mine, and I knew that we would be together for a good long while. I must admit that my intentions were quite superficial at first. I always thought it would be "cool" to "own" a lizard. Having a pet which was slightly exotic that isn't known for being cuddly would surely lend to my reputation for being strange. This was before I truly got to know you. I found your tiny reptilian face, feet, and striped gray tail irrisitibly adorable, and the way you would scamper after the tiny crickets I'd pour into your cage with all the stealth and enthusiasm of a lion, despite your being no bigger than my thumb, was a source of amusement, as well as amazement. I named you Irwynn, a nod to a human creature who was in life an inhabitant and native of the continent that your ancestors called home. It was a name you seemed to appreciate, for everytime I called it to you in a cheerful tone, you would raise your head, tip it to one side, and aknowlege my presense. I didn't always do the best thing for you, my scaley little friend, I admit that, and I'm sorry. You really did deserve the best that could be offered to you. Not just for the reason that all pets/companion animals should be given care, comfort, and respect, but because of who you were as an individual- a gentle, patient, beautiful, peaceful fellow creation of God. While you might not have had much choice in the matter, I am truly greatful that you gave me the majority of your years in this life. You taught me not only the basics of how to care for a reptile, but you shattered my stereotypes of reptiles in general. No longer would I look at any creature of scales and assume that behind it's eyes was a blank, soulless brain used only for surivival. I will forever understand that each creature has wants, desires, and although they may be less complicated than that of a human being, thoughts of it's own. It's been said by some that animals do not posess a soul, but I find that very hard to believe. One need only look into the eyes of a dog, or a cat, or a bearded dragon, and see a glimpse of their inner spark. It's what makes a dog comfort a person in tears, what makes a cat meow down the bathtub drain simply because they like the way it sounds, and what makes a lizard respond to a kiss on the nose with the flick of a tongue, and a slight pinch to their human's lower lip. If there is a place in heaven for bearded dragons Irwynn, I hope it's warm, full of vegetables, and that little brown crickets duck in and out of the folds of clouds. Be well sweet little lizard.
 

© 2008 Melinda


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a sweet piece, pets are such a comfort to their companions. Family really and I agree with you about the soul part. T

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

im sorry for your loss, this is the first poem i have read pertaining to
a lizard, being a dedicational work, a tribute to your pet, it is
creatively moving, with respect, i love how you ended this, your
talent reflects irwynn's memory, and his appreciation for being a
living creature, this is cute, loving, honorable, endearing, much peace, mike

Posted 16 Years Ago


I enjoyed this for it's sheer quirkiness. the lizzard came alive in your descriptions of your friendship with him. and the piece shows the qualities of the human also. 'my scaly little friend' made me smile, as did the notion of him tilting his head at the call of his name.

Posted 16 Years Ago


You're right, love is love, for any kind of creature. It's always so sad to lose a pet. They are so faithful and truly know how to show unconditional love. I don't think it's silly. I'm sorry for the loss of your faithful friend.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 10, 2008

Author

Melinda
Melinda

Wyoming, MN



About
Everything I told you about myself is terribly outdated. In my own defense I'm just lousy at keeping in touch. P.S. I love you (giggle) more..

Writing
Cold, Man. Cold, Man.

A Poem by Melinda


Fruit Fruit

A Poem by Melinda


Skeleton Skeleton

A Poem by Melinda



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Clean Soul Clean Soul

A Poem by Bubo


I am Beowulf I am Beowulf

A Poem by Bubo