Insanity

Insanity

A Story by tess
"

Our mind can play tricks on us. It's just a matter of time until it takes over.

"
She sat at the counter her black nails strumming, each finger landing with it’s own beat. Her eyes were drowning in black, smearing all the way down her face as she cried black tears. Her red lip stick stained the glass of the clear cup in front of her filled half way with red liquid. This had not been the life she was hoping for, completely filled misery and the unknown. Her day’s had gone on like this for months now, late nights, red liquid, black tears, all to just ignore the next day like It never had occurred. She had always found herself in situations like this with him, it all just added up to when she would snap. He was always her breaking point. He would lead her to act like she was completely crazy, to think that she was the problem. Things would be thrown and said, complete with screams from their emotions, but it always ended the same. The next morning would come and everything was forgotten. He would be on the couch, she would be stepping down the stairs, and with a kiss on the cheek they were both content again. The strumming of her finger nails became increasingly louder as the seconds passed by and the door was still firmly closed in front of her. The time had read 1:35 when her glass was empty so she re-poured herself a glass. The bottle drained out all it had left into the cup until she had dropped it entirely, shattering all over the tan tile floor. She screamed letting out yet another sob from her lips. It had been years since she had actually felt a ounce of happiness inside her, it had been all drained out like the bottle that was just in her hands. All she was waiting for was to shatter. He was the culprit, she had done nothing wrong to deserve this although he made her feel like she did. He made her believe she had the problem “everything’s fine” “your overreacting” it was all he would ever say but that wasn’t the case. He was manipulative and overall a liar, these late nights, not answering his phone, fully ignoring her some nights, it made her go mental. She took the last slug of her drink in front of her before slamming it down on the counter. The loud noise echoing throughout the house in the same way that the door did when it opened and closed. 
He sauntered in the way he left in his jeans and blue tie and button up shirt. It had taken him awhile until he realized her sitting at the counter her face mixed with black. He sighed knowing tonight was yet another fight, yet another night on the couch, yet another night he watched the girl he loved cry her eyes out over nothing. He slowly walked closer before stopping at the couch seeing her get up clumsily, the glass cracking under her heels, her hand clenching the counter for balance. 
“Why are you up?” He asked as always starting out the conversation with any ordinary question. 
“Why are you?” She moved her body so she was now leaning on the counter behind her. 
“I was out at Gabe’s house, everything’s fine” Those words slipping out of his mouth sending her nearly into a rampage. He was tricking her again. 
“Next your going to tell me I’m overreacting right?” 
“What?” He questioned confused moving forward toward her but stopping half way when she started to move further into the living room away from him even more. She was now in front of the fire place which was dark and empty. Filled with a large stone vase and bunch of photos of them on top. They had spent almost nine years together and the last four were filled with screaming, crying, and pain. She had wondered why she was still with him or why he was still with her, it had seemed they were stuck, there was no way out of it. “I don’t understand”
“Sure you don’t because your going to blame it all on me. You think I’m insane or something” 
“Insane? What am I going to blame you for?” 
“The fighting and the cheating and the lying.” 
“Cheating?” Her whole body was shaking now, a photo of them dropping onto the ground once she started gripping onto the brick fireplace to hold her self up from collapsing. 
“Your cheating on me probably with that girl from work with the black hair right?”
“Look. I don’t get why you think that. I was just at Gabe’s house”
“You are such a f*****g liar!” She yelled louder than before 
“Why don’t you call him and see for yourself” He asked looking at her right in the eyes with satisfaction. This glance had changed her somehow. Her mind had taken over screaming and chanting thoughts into into her head. He was trying to make her look ridiculous and move toward that phone. It was all a lie and she could tell by his face. 
“I am not falling for that one!” 
“Seriously, take the phone and call him” He finally made his move picking it up and moving toward her with it in his hands. She was all he had left and that’s why he couldn’t leave her, he loved her too much but he didn’t know how to show it that well. 
“No” It had seemed she had totally blacked out although she knew exactly what she was doing. Soon the phone was on the floor, the large vase was in her hands, and red liquid was all around her. She had only figured out what exactly she was doing when the vase broke in her hands which were now covered in liquid. Removing them from his body she examined what was in front of her, the red liquid from her bottle that was now smashed on the tile floor was not the same was the liquid occupying her hands. She carefully reached toward the phone as if on instinct her body filed with emptiness and her mind tracing back to one thing. 
“Hello?” The voice on the other end answered but she just sat there in silence deeply breathing into it. “Hello? Riley? Are you okay? Did Matt get home safe, we had a couple beers but not enough to make him drunk.-" It was then she had let go of the phone as it dropped onto the floor with a thud. The black tears on her face were present again but her black nails were now covered in the only thing she loved. It was now almost 2:00 and her red lip stick stain was on his cheek, once again everything was content again, the fighting was gone, the screams subsided, his body was lifeless. The only problem was he was not on the couch, she was not crouching down the stairs, and everything that happened was not forgotten. The insanity is the culprit, the liar, and the manipulative one. The one that made her stay up all night, the one that made her drink, the one that turned her into a monster, and the one that had killed the only man that loved her.

© 2014 tess


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad yet captivating, yet I can relate as depression and personal daemons have been close unwanted friends of mine. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


You were wrong! I liked this story. It was hardly very gruesome, just very sad. It's so amazing how you can just take a couple of paragraphs and create good characters and an interesting plot. I really enjoyed it!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 7, 2014
Last Updated on December 19, 2014
Tags: horror, love, murder, fighting, couple, insane

Author

tess
tess

Boston, MA



About
I suck at poetry..... I am sort of in love with Walt Whitman..... (Yes I know that my font is small; it is like that for a reason: there to resemble life/the things we have to pay close attention.. more..

Writing
Time-Lapse Time-Lapse

A Poem by tess


My 90s Playboy My 90s Playboy

A Poem by tess