Character Concepts: The Ocean's Mischiefs

Character Concepts: The Ocean's Mischiefs

A Story by A Modern Hippy
"

Available

"

Tarik and Kirat, The Ocean’s Mischiefs:

*Human/Sprite. Male (Tarik) and Female (Kirat). 25yo.

*Both 6’5. Lean. Skin extremely pale blue, nearly white. Black irises. Long, dark blue hair, nearly black, down to their waists. Both dressed in open white and blue robes cinched at the waist with a black belt, and black (puff) pants. No shirts. Shark teeth. Slippery skin.

*Stronger and more agile than a human. Totally attuned to one another. Don’t need to breathe, eat or sleep. Underwater they become merfolk. Can change their form into a shark, a kraken, a giant crab or a serpent that is able to move through any solid substance as if it was water. Their touch causes coral to grow. Can dissimilate themselves into water, capable of traveling large distances nearly instantly through connected water routes. If allowed to enter a human’s body, they can possess them. Can communicate with and through water. Can communicate with and empower aquatic animals. Tarik wields a balanced trident named Meros or the Shark’s Tail, and Kirat wields a whip named Ocillis or the Serpent’s Spine. Both of their weapons can be assimilated with their bodies.

-Meros (trident): Can be thrown. When it is not in his hands,Tarik can teleport to the trident. Creates whirlpools when the butte is slammed against a surface. Can also drain water from anything the prongs touch, which can be stored and released at any time. When underwater the impacts of Meros are magnified.

-Ocillis (whip): acts as a limb, able to grasp and grab. Can also extend or retract. It leaves circular marks on whatever it touches that cause intense agony when touched. Regenerates if cut. When underwater Ocillis can grow in size.

*Have to drink seawater OR human blood twice a day. Underwater, they cannot control that their legs become a serpent tail when not in animal form. Although cunning, they are not overly intelligent. Childish in manner, values and emotional volatility. Slack and undisciplined when not fighting. Their presence is given away by the appearance of coral and occasionally their music or laughter.

*Meros the Shark’s Spine (trident) and Ocillis the Kraken’s Arm (whip). Tarik plays a harp and Kirat a pipe-flute.

*Uncertain purpose. They are amused and intrigued by humans, the race of their mother, and spend much time entertaining and troubling them.

*Tarik and Kirat behave like children for the most part, causing mischief and trouble wherever they can. They are easily amused and easily distracted, and also easily upset. Though most of their games are harmless, often quite charming and amusing, when riled they become vicious and vindictive and capable of causing quite extreme damage and humiliation. They are also very skilled musicians, solo and together.

[Backstory: Born of the union between a human noble’s daughter and a captured sea-sprite that she released back into the ocean, the twins Tarik and Kirat have ever defied explanation or definition. Though they mostly behave like young children, they have been known to have sudden episodes of almost ancient wisdom and insight seemingly disconnected from their more normal behaviours.

They travel the world through the oceans, terrorising the port towns, cities, and ships they come across with their games and animal forms. Though they give the impression of loud indifference to the fates of humans, there are quite a few rumours of their having helped stranded or drowning sailors, and sometimes even whole vessels in dire need. The older sailors treat them almost as minor gods, giving offerings of toys and baubles and sailor’s songs in return for good luck. It is said that the music of the Harp and Pipe can lead to becalmed waters or great fortune, and in times of danger following the sound often save a ship and crew.

Nobody is quite sure of how or why they came to exist, even the most learned scribes, prophets, clerics and monks of various religions and factions being unable to shine any light on the topic, but it is certain that they do not appear to be in any hurry to abstain from contact with humans as most sprites do. Rather, they seem to revel in what they are and what they can do, always trying to be the centre of attention regardless of wether that role is hero or villain].

© 2014 A Modern Hippy


Author's Note

A Modern Hippy
I had fun with this concept. When I read or see a story, one of the key elements that keeps me hooked is humour, usually provided by the relationships between two or three core characters.
One of the easiest sources of humour to recognise and to write is the interplay between twins, and the hardest part of that is what form the twins take and how they interact with each other and the other characters.
When I made this concept I focused on finding a form that had a strong connection with that of a human, but without placing them under human restrictions and limitations regarding perspective, personality and attitudes. The unspecific form of the 'Sprites' type mixed with their too-natural detachment from human struggles makes them a perfect source of humour and chaos within a story.
The backstories of ALL character concepts are fully revisable or replaceable. They are simply examples.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on December 28, 2014
Last Updated on December 28, 2014

Author

A Modern Hippy
A Modern Hippy

Perth, Australia



About
Message me any setting+animal+object+ (optional) genre and I will write a short story using those elements. Also, any post with the title 'Character Concept', 'World Concept' or 'Story Concept' i.. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by A Modern Hippy