The rain.

The rain.

A Story by Thanatos.
"

Lukas loved the rain, it was his peace. And River had to deal with him adopting bunnies.

"

The rain was something he was always fond of. It was certain to happen at some point, creating the atmosphere he was the most comfortable in. Sure it was depressing for others, but he found solace watching the run-offs crash to the ground. He’d always been told to not go out in the rain and avoid getting a cold, but after doing it every time there was a drizzle, his body thrived off of it. 


He adored it. 


And even now, two years after being fully drowned in a storm, he stood in the middle of nowhere, face turned towards the sky. 


He missed it. 


The way the droplets were unpredictable, landing on your jacket, eyelid or everywhere in-between. They hung to you like their life depended on it, strictly making your body cold but lighting up fireworks from somewhere else. 


The way it felt. Like being surrounded by flowers, each of which were begging for your attention. Yet you didn’t even bat an eye. 


He could go on and on about what he loved about the rain. 


But the only thing on his mind? 


Absolutely nothing. 


It was his peace. His mind didn’t race when there was something to focus on. There was no anger, no fear, nothing. Pure and utter peace. He was, dare he say it, happy. 


The ground was wet now, slicking up his shoes and drenching his clothes. He didn’t care. He was overjoyed at the feeling of water from above, smiling like an idiot in a meadow. The animals wondered who he was, undisturbing the forest and adding to the happy atmosphere.


A few, just two, bunnies were extra interested. They had never seen someone, a human, smiling at the sky without any worries. One, the more brave one, hopped out first, slowly stalking their way over towards him. Once there, they began investigating. Sniffing his hands, his hoodie, his backpack. 


He didn’t mind. He was enjoying the downpour. 


The little bunny  got more hopeful the human was a nice one, jumping right into his lap. This, he took notice of. 


“Hey little guy.” 


He stroked the bunny’s fur, causing the other one to run out towards them, worried he had harmed their friend. On the contrary - the one was loving it, melting when he did it softer. The other one hopped into his lap as well, wanting attention. He provided it, flipping off his cap and placing it over them, keeping them out of the rain. He loved the rain sure, but he didn’t want them freezing. 


“Hey bud,” he calmly said, keeping both of the bunnies from running away. By now the downpour was getting heavier, and he knew that if he didn’t leave soon he’d get the flu, so with little movements, he removed the hat and looked at them. 


“Do you mind if I take you home? Both of you?” 


Neither ran away or moved, so he took that as a yes. He grabbed his phone, cupping the bunnies in his hat and putting a piece of cloth over it so they wouldn’t get wet. He stood up, dialing a number he’s hand memorized since first grade. 


“I know you’re in the rain, again..” 


“Good! Because can you pick me up? I found some bunnies.” 


“I swear to god this place will end up being a petshop.” 


“That’s not fair. All of them are out of your apartment, either to really good families or back in the wild.” 


“Uh huh. I’m at the pick-up.” 

He ended the call, seeing his friend’s car. He got inside, hearing his friend lightly complain about how now the seats were soaked. He laughed about it, uncovering the cloth and cranking the heat. He put the bunnies on his knees in front of the heater, throwing back his backpack to the back seat. His friend didn’t drive, instead striking up a conversation. 


“Are you okay?” 


The smile slowly dropped. 


“Probably not. But I’ll be alright some place.” 


His friend sighed heavily. 


“You always say that. But then you’re never happy.” 


“It doesn’t matter either way. I said some place. That place just isn’t anywhere near here.” 


Honestly, if he knew that sentence would stick with his friend that much, he would’ve said it years ago. 


Because now, a year later, they were in a new country, still with the bunnies, grinning happily and dancing like their feet were made of the beat. They danced and danced late into the night, partying like nothing was wrong. And nothing was. They walked home, excited to see their bunnies named just hours after that car ride. 


“Are you okay, Luka?” 


Lukas looked over to River, feeling a small droplet on his nose. A big smile spread across his face.


“I’m more than okay. I’m happy, Riv!” 


River chuckled to themselves, looping their arm around Lukas, pointing towards the sky and taking a big step forward. 


“Then this day shall go down in history as the day you were finally happy!” 

© 2019 Thanatos.


Author's Note

Thanatos.
wrote this at a ungodly hour in the morning. if something is spelled wrong, please do tell me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

For some, its the simplest things in life that make happiness a reality. Things that don't cost, things that are low or no maintenance and they are most certainly gifts from God. For some, a rainy day is all it takes to erase worry, pain, and problems. For some, it's the sun, for some, the coming of snow. These things are free, God-given and unpredictable. For some, happiness is money, material items and someone to share it with. These things are man-made and predictable; money never lasts, needing constant replenishing; material things outdate and need replacement; relationships come and go according to the availability of assets. It is hard to find a soulmate, the ONE that God created for just you, but if you get lucky and find them, imagine the happiness there would be to share with them the other things that make you most happy.

Wonderful story, T, I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
1 Review
Added on September 28, 2019
Last Updated on September 28, 2019
Tags: love, rain, happy, short story, pure fluff.

Author

Thanatos.
Thanatos.

About
Insomniac with too much free time and little self control. more..




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)