Describe the Colors Without Using Their Names

Describe the Colors Without Using Their Names

A Story by Lady Decaf

RED: It's the color of his lips right before they meet yours. It's the color of his cheeks when he is breathless from laughter. It's the color of the first flower he ever gave you.

ORANGE: It's the color of the sunrise, the one he pulled you from your dreams to witness. It's the color of the fire you spent your night with him watching. The color of the embers that remained even when words did not.

YELLOW: It's the color of the ring that circles both of your fingers. It's the color of the leaves he insisted on running through. It's the color of late notices that ate collecting on the kitchen table.

GREEN: It's the color of the trees above you as you lay next to him in the park on Valentine's day. It's the color of the gardens you just spent hours admiring. It's the color he longs to have... just enough to get the two of you by.

BLUE: It's the color of the + on the at-home test. It's the color of the water that runs over you as you try to make sense of how this could happen. It's the color of the sky.... or it was...

PURPLE: It's the color of Barney and her favorite Teletubby. It's the color sprawled all over the walls of the hallway. It's the color of her elbows from falling off the monkey bars.

WHITE: Its the color of her first blanket. It's the color of his cheeks, glinted with tears, as he holds her close. It's the color of her first tooth, the one he insisted on keeping.

BLACK: It's the color of his hair, when the sun doesn't touch it. It's the color of her clothes, her lips, as she becomes reclusive. It's the color of the night she still has not come home from. It's the color of the police van that informs you she won't be making it home tonight. It's the color of the final place she will lay her head.And when he fails to be there for you when you fall apart, it is the color of the ink as you sign the divorce agreement.

BROWN: It's the color of her skin when she falls asleep in the warm sun. It's the color of the drink in your hand when she tells you she wants a divorce. It is the color of your suitcase, ready by the stairs.

© 2015 Lady Decaf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on June 15, 2015
Last Updated on June 15, 2015

Author

Lady Decaf
Lady Decaf

Burleson, TX



About
Hey, I'm Jo. I have been writing poetry since I was 13 as a way to express myself. Along the way it evolved into a passion (obsession?) and a way to meet new people. My poetry topics fluctuate but I d.. more..

Writing