Minutes

Minutes

A Poem by Creepy Swine Guy
"

Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

"

 

 
We spend our
Time chasing fortunes.
Years spent in college
Or scratching and clawing
Up rungs of workplace ladders.
 
We spend our time
Amassing our fortunes
However large or small,
And then we struggle to
Decide how to spend them.
 
All the while,
The one commodity
That holds the most value
Streams through our
Fingers like sand.
 
You can save your
Dollars and your gold.
You can protect your possessions
But you cannot save
Your minutes.
 
Spend your minutes
Wisely. You can
Never get them back.
My father ran out

Of minutes last week.

© 2011 Creepy Swine Guy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a lesson to be learned and shared. The loss of a father is tough to take - I lost mine last August and I asked myself the same question - where did the time go.... time I had hoped to spend much much differently. This is lovely in it's message and the bittersweet truth of making choices and having life make the decisions.....

Kath

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

its not the length of time we are granted thats important but how we choose to use it

A wlel written pice of poetry

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Amazing writing. That's so true, it just made me stop and think...and that's what poems are supposed to do.
The last line just struck like the stroke of a clock in my mind and made me wonder what writing this poem must have meant to you.
Thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is so true. The richest men and women can buy corporations, islands, but not time. That is the great equalizer for us all. I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for th gift of wisdom. I must say the minutes spent in reading and reviewing this were in no way wasted.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

gently, i hope...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father, Jerry. My heart goes out to you. Time is a precious thing and it seems that no matter how we spend it there's never enough of it. My condolences, Jerry.
God Speed

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I was agreeing and nodding throughout the read here....and then hit between the eyes at the ending. There is something in the loss of a parent; it seems to take something out of us. I remember the loss of my mother keenly still and am sorry for your loss. I liked how you actually broke the time down into minutes....making the point that it is each precious moment that needs to be carefully treasured and spent wisely. There will always be those things we have to do...no way around that....it is making sure we do not get overwhelmed with have to things in life....and have time for the things that matter.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

oh gosh, so sorry, it is true, I believe in your words firmly,
:(

my best friend died a year and a half ago, and all he did
was write, feast, and enjoy his last years with me, family, friends
mostly me, I just did not have it coming because he hid his dying days,
but I think we made the most of it, I love him dearly, my best best friend, mishy

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a poignant lesson as has been pointed out. It matters not if one has an infinite supply of minutes or if they have but one more minute to go; it is how those minutes are spent - what was done with them - were they wasted, and if so - who is to judge that they were wasted? Each of us values our time in different ways, hoping to accomplish this or that as time goes by... or perhaps just seeking to avoid this or that as time goes by. Time has lost such meaning, as it flies by at times - while we complain when it seems to drag.

I have spent too much time arguing with one I love over stupid things. I cannot get that time back. I can sit around wasting time worrying about that time or I can try to cherish each moment... but then again, if you live each moment as if it were your last... are you really living? There has to be some happy medium, some middle ground that can be reached...

In 10th Grade, the Chemistry teacher had written around the clock in the classroom: "Time will pass. Will you?"

When our time comes, for our times will come, only we can really answer that question... did we pass?

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is so true.. and please let me say how sorry i am to hear about your Dad.. my Dad ran out of minutes back in the eighties while i was listening to U2 sing With or Without You..
This Summer my best friend forever, age 27 ran out of minutes .. yes, it is so true .
No way will those minutes come back.

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Father Time.

A very sobering write, friend. I am deeply sorry about your father. My condolences to you. And a big hug.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

912 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2008
Last Updated on December 27, 2011

Author

Creepy Swine Guy
Creepy Swine Guy

Central, NY



About
The Ten Commandments of the Writer's Cafe (King Swine Version). 1. Thou shalt not plagiarize. 2. Thou shalt not treat badly any writer based on their age, social status, ability or creative view.. more..

Writing
Erased Erased

A Chapter by Creepy Swine Guy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Seed The Seed

A Poem by Dezaraye


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain