The Darkness

The Darkness

A Story by Blayk McCartney
"

Walking threw the darkness; Will you be crushed? Or maybe...

"

  I walk through caves blacker then night and as quiet as a creaky old house. I walk as a blind man relying on only sound and touch. Fear fills me with no end as I listen to the peculiar sounds around; such as something dripping upon the ground, a low rumble like a beast growling and the occasional sound of what seemed to be feet padding along. I wish only to escape this unnerving place by any means… but I’m so scared, I can hardly move. The darkness is numbing.

  I want to turn back, but to do so is impossible; to try would only make it worse, but to go forward is so hard that it’s becoming unbearable. Why should I move forward anyway?  Who says I’ll find the light that way? Who says I won’t just step into terrors’ den and be slaughtered by a pack of unknown monsters? I want to sit where I stand and cry out; I want to stop delaying what I know is to come; I want to just let the monsters have me now rather than later, but again, I’m scared.

  “Am I that scared though? I question myself “Am I scared enough to not give in yet?

  As I think, my pace slows until I’m still, my knees shake then buckle and tears begin to well as I think “No, no I’m not that scared, not anymore. I see no hope, I see no light. This painful fear is just too great. This is the end,” I declared to myself, just before I finally broke down and burst into a loud wail and shed my tears.

  Before I could utter a sound though, a quiet voice came forth. It was honest and soft. “All is not lost even if you are right now, one-who-longs-for-the-light, nothing is forever lost. If you fight on, even if you die tomorrow, you can die happily knowing you tried rather than going down with the bitter sadness that sits in your heart right now.”

  “Who… who is there?”

  “Who am I? I am the darkness in you and without you, I am nothing; so let me drive you forward, instead of crushing you.”

  “How?”

  “That is for you to figure out. Dark times and dark places are the cause of progress in many cases. You are not the first to walk this path, and you will not be the last. Many do not make it, but others do; some of those people have changed the world. Why should you be any different? Accept my offer, find a way to use me, and I will lead you out of this place.”

  I was unsure of what to think… how could I trust this voice. I gave thought for a moment, and then decided “What is there to lose?

  With reluctance, I stood back up and started forward once again.

© 2013 Blayk McCartney


Author's Note

Blayk McCartney
I've been suffering from depression since I was... what? 7? I'm 20 now and finally I'm getting things worked out.
How do you think I faired on this? any issues with it?
( I have no clue about sorting Genres so I might have picked the wrong one...)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome piece of writing. Reminds me of like lord of the rings fantasy type novel....even though that's not made clear. Don't know why haha! Love it!


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Blayk McCartney

9 Years Ago

thank you so much! that makes me so happy~ I kinda feel flustered read in a comment like that. I don.. read more
Amesie

9 Years Ago

Haha no problem, you're a good writer :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

227 Views
1 Review
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on August 17, 2013
Tags: Darkness, Allegory, Depression

Author

Blayk McCartney
Blayk McCartney

BC, Canada



About
I suffer from depression and anxiety, but I'm working on recovering. I'm in my early 20's and jobless I love reading, graphic novels, comics, and novels. I also love Nintendo games and Minecraft .. more..

Writing