41 km dash

41 km dash

A Story by Blayk McCartney
"

Terra Logan misses the ferry to her new home and has to get creative to make it in time for a job interview

"

Summer of 2014, I'm finally graduated from school, and my parents are sending me off to live in their friends apartment building in Powell River. I didn't really know anyone there but they thought it would be a good place for me since I liked the outdoors and it was a pretty peaceful place.

 My name is Terra Logan. I'm named after an old friend of my mom and dads who died protecting them despite being forced to betray them; that's a complicated story though and you can hear about it elsewhere. I have long dyed green hair of varying shades, blue eyes and I have a strong, tough build because I'm so physically active. I've always loved running around playing sports, riding my bike, and other kinds of things like that.

 Anyway, enough about me; like I was saying, I'm moving to Powell River and I have a job interview to rush too when I get over there and unfortunately for me, I'm running late for the ferry! 

 "Its one of those days I wish I owned a car" I grumbled to myself as I pulled on my rollerblades on the porch of my parents house. I was wearing pale blue skate-shorts with a burning orange flower on the right side, a deep blue t-shirt, and a plaid purple backpack. As I stood up, I fixed my hair into a ponytail that stuck out the back of my helmet when I put it on, then bolted down the road. All but the change of clothes, book, and video game in my backpack was already in my new apartment and waiting for me to unbox and put away thanks to my parents friend, Rod.

 It took me about a half an hour to get to the terminal at my fastest speed as a human and I was breathing stupidly heavy. When the salty breath of air hit me as I made it past the trees and finally reach my first check point, I was pained to see that the ferry was already leaving. For a moment a stood there hating myself for sleeping in, and feeling gross from the sticky, smelly sweat. I normally wouldn't mind to much but I wasn't here to work out or play and I did have that job interview to get too on the other side. 

 "If only mom and dad weren't so busy with work they could have given me a lift" I sighed. I had a last resort to fall back on in case of this but it was a last resort for a reason and it involved getting naked. 

 I have a gift I inherited from my father. The ability to change my form. I could make myself look like someone else, I could make myself look like an animal, I could even look like things that we have yet to prove are real. Of course, normal people don't know about this... Normally. Rod new about me and my parents but he's the only normal person I know that knows about how strange the world really is.

 I made my way to the waters edge and found a good spot to hide so I could strip. I left only my sports bra on well everything else went into the backpack.

  Always good to have an air tight backpack in a case like this I thought to myself though I really wish I knew where mom got it... 

 I slipped my bag back on and waded in to the water. It was so cold! Once I was in deep enough, I pictured a mermaid. I always pictured them sort of like the merfolk in Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Fire. My body started getting that pins and needles feeling. It passed after a second and I was as I had pictured. I dove under, let my body adjust to breathing underwater, then kicked off after the ferry. I was fast on land but in the water, I was close to being as fast as a Sailfish.

 I caught up the the ferry by pushing fairly hard but when I caught up I still couldn't relax. I still had to keep pace and be mindful to not become fish-paste by straying into a propeller. 

 When I got to the other side finally I looked about for a good spot to get out of the water. As I looked about I felt ready to collapse. I spotted an okay-ish place to the left of the harbor. It wasn't getting any better anytime soon from what I could tell in my tired mind so I swam up, hoping the people in the houses above wouldn't look out and down from their windows. I changed my body back, climbed out, dried of with the shirt I was previously wearing. My bra had to go in the end as I didn't pack a spare in my bag like a fool. I was so frustrated as I worked on my good clothes for the interview out there on the beach like some weirdo freak. I was worried sick I'd be seen and the cops would come for me for 'public indecency'.

 Once all dressed, I walked up from my lackluster hiding spot barefoot and watching out for glass until I could put on my rollerblades again. I had also forgotten my shoes... The only upside was that I did still have just enough time to make my appointment. My hair was soaked threw, and I was hungry and tired but I did have just enough time.

 When I saw the hill I'd have t go up from the wharf, I realized that rollerblades would not be my friend. I  made a mad dash cursing myself all the way up to Marine Ave barefoot, turned left and made my way for Knights news. A small convenience store. If I didn't get the job after all of that, I was gonna either cry or strangle something.

 I paused just out of sight of the windows, caught my breath, straightened myself and clothes out, prayed my hair wasn't to terrible, then strode on over and in. I walked to the cashier and said

 "My name is Terra Logan, I'm hear for the job interview." 

 I smiled politely as the woman looked me up and down with an unsure look before saying "one moment" and going into the back room. I now felt extra nervous that it was obvious that I lacked a bra and smelled of the sea... I also wondered if not having shoes on was a problem. 

 She came back and continued "I'm sorry, the position has actually just been filled..."

 Those few words and my composure imploded and I staggered out without a word.

I had high hopes for this summer... I had high hopes. Guess I'll be going to Careerlink tomorrow.

© 2014 Blayk McCartney


Author's Note

Blayk McCartney
how'd you like it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on August 2, 2014
Last Updated on August 3, 2014
Tags: fantasy, modern, mundane

Author

Blayk McCartney
Blayk McCartney

BC, Canada



About
I suffer from depression and anxiety, but I'm working on recovering. I'm in my early 20's and jobless I love reading, graphic novels, comics, and novels. I also love Nintendo games and Minecraft .. more..

Writing