Education a path of sacrifice

Education a path of sacrifice

A Story by TheEricVolpe
"

Wrote this for my English VI class. Did not proof read it just wrote and wrote. I had to use three pieces viewed and talked about in class and then talk about how they all work with education.

"

The idea of education has been an idea that has been in existence since the start of man.  Whether it is formal education or that of life experience, education is a needed part of life.  The sad part is that man didn’t understand the values of education for all until the 1800-1900’s.  It was at this point that reforms such as ones led by Horace Mann occurred causing an increase in people becoming educated in America.   With this the average man knew that in order to climb up the ladder of life one must climb up the education ladder and if they fail it is their job to allow their child to climb it.  The opposite was also true for those with power.  It was understood that in order to remain at the top education must be stripped away from those below you.  This is constantly seen through history with the selective education of the rich and white as well as the rejection for woman to get an education.  The ideas that education carry are often seen in literature such as “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz, “The Achievement of Desire” by Richard Rodriguez or “Stand and Deliver.”  Each of these forms of literature talk about Education and the importance it has in life and the betterment of man.

            The story told in the movie “Stand and Deliver” is a common story about over coming adversity when odds are against you.  However, unlike the movies like this is shows what education can do to not only a student but, a teacher.  Jiame Escalante was a real man who would devote his time to teaching.  This was not only teaching at high school where he got paid but, volunteer work at grade schools or night schools for adults who needed to learn English.  Escalante understood how much Education could better the community he lived in and knew it was worth it.  The cost to Escalante was being away from his family and at one point even his life.  Eventually this sacrifice pays off various times through out the movie where he wins over troubled kids, helps the school he worked at keep it’s accreditation making it so the school would continue to have students looking for an education attending it over those who didn’t want an education.  Lastly showing the sacrifice of not just a teacher but, his student Escalante’s whole class passing the AP Calculus test.  This true story allows both adults and student understand how much sacrifice is needed by the success of the teacher but, also the 20 minority students from the “ghetto.”

This idea of sacrifice for education is also seen in “The Achievement of Desire.”  In this short piece the author Richard Rodriguez he recalls the events of his childhood making him into “a child his parents were proud of.”  Richard growing up knew education was needed, he knew that the last thing he wanted to be was like his parents.  This is because his parents spoke broken English and by the time he was in the second grade he understood ideas they did not.  Because of his lacking of wanted to be his parents Richard sacrificed his family life.  He would spend more time with a book then his brothers and would rather fall asleep with his nose in pages then in his mother’s arms.  This sacrifice isn’t only against his family but, to himself.  Education changed Richard into someone who knew exactly how to climb the ladder of it not because he was the most profound or smartest but because he allowed education to change him.  It was this change that had Richard wishing to be like his teachers who he worshiped like demi-gods over his parents the man and woman who gave the prime of their lives to allowing their children to receive an education.  This is because those people saw the value in the books he read and understood that each one helped him grow.  His parents while they understood sacrifice Richard did not want to be like them because his parents were fodder to someone else and he never wanted to be that.  He understood with education Richard would never be a fodder to have someone else climb the ladders of life and education he would be at the top.

The ideas of “Stand and Deliver” and “The Achievement of Desire” are greatly summarized in “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.”  This is due to the fact that Oscar Wao wants to end life at the top of the ladder at all costs but, in doing so realizes what is keeping him and the generations after him from it.  In “Oscar Wao” the character of Oscar is an educated man meaning he understands how to speak well, understands what is wrong with the people around him but, is lacking what Richard was lacking.  This was family connection like Richard Oscar lost his connection to his mother and Dominican heritage because he gave into logic and education.  However, unlike Richard Oscar knew he would become a fodder.  Oscar went through life with everything going against him with an idea keeping him back.  This was an idea that haunted not just him but, his whole family and it was called “Fuku.”  Unlike with Richard and “Stand and Deliver” the sacrifice Oscar is making is he life this is because Oscar doesn’t let the “Fuku” control his life he understands death will follow him so he made sure he ended in the way he would want.  By doing this Oscar sacrificed himself to understand the ideas of the “Fuku” which he passes down through writings and books meant for his kin to educate on how to reach the top of the ladder like he did.  These were the same type books that Escalante would read over spending time with his family and that Richards parents would never understand the value.
            Education is considered the key to a good future.  However, taking what one learns from field other then English such a Chemistry it’s known that nothing can be created out of nothing something of equal or greater value must be given.  This is true for life and not just creating compounds.  Sacrifice is needed in order to have gains.  This is shown in “Stand and Deliver,” The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao,” and “The Achievement of Desire” for the fact that they all showed this sacrifice.  From ones family life, to the person you become, to your life itself all of these pieces show how much must be stepped on in order to reach the top of the ladder.

© 2012 TheEricVolpe


Author's Note

TheEricVolpe
It was a free topic essay just had to cover an idea about education

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on July 30, 2012
Last Updated on July 30, 2012
Tags: Oscar Wao Stand and Deliver The

Author

TheEricVolpe
TheEricVolpe

Lawrence, MA



About
Hopeful college major in the field of English. Going into senior year looking to improve my writing in terms of entertainment. more..

Writing
Masks Masks

A Story by TheEricVolpe