Keep Smiling

Keep Smiling

A Story by TheJordBaker
"

A very short piece I wrote a long time ago, not sure about it but I might as well put it up.

"

Footsteps, walking and walking, passing endless possibilities. But there’s only one place he’s heading. He avoids the gazes coming his way. They say he keeps himself hidden; he’s just grown to be alone.

He’d been looking for a reason to keep going, all he’d found were excuses to give up.

Then he sees her.

She is standing in the corner, hooded and solitary. Her finger tips break her ever-sealed lips and her eyes dart as the normal people skip her by.

He forces his way through the crowds, breaking into runs between barges. The normal people laugh at his desperation, but he can’t miss this chance. She’s waiting.

He reaches her in the corner, re-clenching his breath from the air between them. She takes the remainder away. She takes down her hood and her hair blows around her face in the wind. Her eyes pierce his as they move closer to each other. He can hear her heart beating in the breeze. She trembles, knees shuddering.

‘Hi’ he whispers.

‘Hi’.

Closer, his fingers smooth her forehead, her hair, her cheek. She shakes. He kisses her, and then- she smiles. She smiles a natural smile for the first time in months. His lips retort her grin. She can’t hold the tears, but she wants to smile. She tries to smile. Her balance composes as they hold each other. Their eyes meet again, for a moment they’re still, looking, peace; their irises exploring the possibility of future. He takes her hand. Her other wipes away the streams.

‘Keep smiling’ he says.

Her head tilts right, she smirks again.

‘What?’ she asks.

‘Keep smiling. It’s gorgeous’. 

© 2012 TheJordBaker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on July 24, 2012
Last Updated on July 24, 2012
Tags: keep smiling, smile, kiss, poem, poetry

Author

TheJordBaker
TheJordBaker

Washington, United Kingdom



About
I'm Jordan and I've been away for a while, but I'm trying to refind my voice and work towards a couple of projects. In my late teens/early twenties I released two poetry collections which are avail.. more..

Writing
X X

A Poem by TheJordBaker