Losing my friend

Losing my friend

A Poem by The High Poet
"

This poem I just wrote, had some stuff I need to get out. I tried to write about me from outside my self. Hope you like it.

"

Friend

 

Losing my friend

Losing another friend to that drug

It steals his life, like insane thug

Spending his money on snap, crackle and pop

All his friends and family wish he would stop

But his drug has its claws dug in

Squeezing so tight, he can no longer grin

I miss the man he used to be

He was my best friend just him and me

Now I am left not knowing what to do

I have already put on the other shoe

But it is up to him too reach out

Grab the line I scream and shout

He continues to sink to my dismay

I am just going to wait for the day

The day when he hits rock bottom

Wish my life would have taught him

 

© 2010 The High Poet


Author's Note

The High Poet
I wrote this piece about myself, I am the friend that is lost. Or at least I was up until 3 years ago when I cleaned up. I tried to imagine what it would be like on the other side looking in. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so heartfelt but definitely sad. It flows wonderfully and touches me very much.

I have been fortunate to have had friends who were able to get out of their drug habits. However, my two youngest siblings are still minors and are subject to my father's abusiveness. My sister often keeps in contact with me and often mentions how much she envies my not having to live with him. I guess it's sort of still watching a good person suffer, but I'm aware it's not exactly the same as someone being stuck in drug abuse.

A beautifully written honest piece of work. Awesome job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this. made me upset though. i do hope you are better.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Painful process you tell about, but pain is part of life and I'm glad to hear that you are out of it and being able to look back at it and take responsibility on getting in and out and of it!!! which is a brave move, and also feeling the way people around felt.
I like the last line.
Thanks for sharing! good job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awesome! this is raw and real...and EASY to relate to. I myself have had substance abuse probs in the past and recently had a set-back (fell off the ol' wagon!) a desparate rhythm to the poem adds to the reality of addiction.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, drugs are nasty habits to get submersed in. I know, it's hard... and their dreaded things to clean up after. I'm glad that you're cleaned up, and hopefully doing well. :) Way to open up!

Posted 15 Years Ago


i like this poem. very heart-felt, emotional. i like the last line. sometimes, there is nothing you can do, it is up to that person to save themselves. sometimes, they don't want to be helped. but i can tell you from experience, just the idea that someone cares enough about them to try to help, makes them better. i hope your friend gets their life together. a great write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is tough to lose someone to drugs hopefully your friend can see the light before they fall too far. well written rhyme. Thank You for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i have lost many freinds due to drugs so this makes me sad as the other reveiws say this is very heartfelt and it does flow wonderfully but it just makes me want to cry as it may do the same to others. its Very good work and it is a wonderful peom.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That's all you can do, very heartfelt and sad, well expressed emotion

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sadly I can relate to this, as can too many other people. No one should have to go through that, and yet it is such a common thing to see in this world. It's sad.

You did a really good job bringing across the message in this poem is a gracefull, succinct way. I appreciate your honesty. I like this a lot.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

oh! This was so heart wrenching :'(
If you will ever have some then you could read a poem written by me entitled "I know who she was", as its plot is very close to your poem....
I can really relate to this piece of writing...very well penned :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

662 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 14, 2009
Last Updated on April 4, 2010

Author

The High Poet
The High Poet

Guelph, Guelph, Canada



About
Once I ran and hid my face Scared to face my disgrace Always running no way out Now I stand and shout THESE ARE MY RHYMES! When I write it's like I have tapped into some kind of creative ener.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pretty Pretty

A Poem by Stephanie S