Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lily Nichols
"

Ellie before arriving at the school.

"

Ellie took one long, sad look at the bags on her bed.

Her eyes traveled around the room, examining everything just one more time.

A hand was suddenly on her shoulder, and she jumped.

"I know you don't want to go, Ellie..." It was only her mother.

Ellie scowled and whipped around. "Of course I don't want to go!"

Her mother sighed. "It isn't as bad as you think, Ellie. I went there, Grandma went there...it's great, you'll see. Besides, you'll have it a bit better since you're namesake."

Ellie groaned. "Even worse. Now everyone will hate me because I'm better than them. Mom, please, just let me stay!"

Her mother only shook her head slowly. "No can-do, kiddo. You're almost sixteen, and that's when your powers start showing up. The school will help you with them. It'll only be a few months, then you'll come home for Christmas. Then after another few months, it'll be summer break. By then you'll know plenty of basic spells."

"I don't want to know any spells, alright?!" Ellie whined, frowning in a very unattractive way.

"You aren't thinking, Ellie. Look at me- I can make dinner, do the laundry, and fix your ripped jeans with just a snap of my fingers. It'll make your life a lot easier."

"I don't want my life easier, I want my life normal."

Ellie's mother just stared at her for a moment before sighing. "Finish packing, Ellie."

Moments later, Ellie was left alone in her room. She cursed under her breath, and began folding and placing the rest of her clothes in the open suitcase on her bed.

Once her bags had been zipped and loaded into the back of the car, it was nearly time to drive to the airport.

Ellie knew it, too. She had no choice at this point.

But before she left, she had to say goodbye to her grandmother. This may have been the worst part of leaving- not that she'd miss her.

Ellie crept up the stairs, the boards creaking.

She slowly pushed the oak door open, and spotted her grandmother lying in her bed across the room.

Grandma immediately sat up when Ellie entered the room.

"Child, you come to see me once again. I hear from your mother that it is nearly your birthday. You are close to 16. This is a dangerous age."

Ellie approached, sitting on the edge of her bed. "So I've heard. I mean, I don't really care about this school, and I don't want to do this at all..."

Her grandmother rested a hand on her shoulder, but it was more like a firm grasp. It was so tight it hurt. Her grandma's eyes flashed. "You are going to the school, yes? Be careful, enfant. Those at the academy do not take so kindly to strangers. There is a secret there that must not be unleashed. Au revoir, enfant." 

"You're speaking in French again. Grandma, I gotta go..." Ellie mumbled. Her grandma had always been a bit  wrong in the head, and whatever she said was usually bullshit.

Her grandmother did not reply. She laid down again, returning to her previous slumber.

Ellie stood awkwardly, keeping an eye on Grandma as she backed out of the room.

She made her way to the living room, where her mother was waiting.

"Dad's sent his regards. Now, get in the car. The plane leaves in three hours, and our drive is at least two!" Her father was working hours away in Portland, whereas they were in Salem.

Ellie decided not to tell her mom what her grandmother had said; besides, it was probably ridiculousness anyway. Mom would agree.

And so she got in the car reluctantly, sighing and staring out the window.

"Don't be like that, Ellie. It won't be as terrible as you think, I can assure you."

"How do you know?"

"I've been there," Mom started as she pulled onto the road, "and they weren't mean to me. You're overreacting."

Ellie rolled her eyes, looking down. She suddenly looked up, smiling. "You know? I think I will love it! I think I'll love it so much that I'll get kicked out."

Her mother stared her down, then looking back out to the road. "Don't start that with me, kid. You can't get kicked out. You just get unusual punishments."

Ellie pouted and looked back out the window. There was definitely no getting out of this.

She continued to stare out the window the entire ride to the airport, and the arrival made her really begin to doubt(not that she wasn't already) that she'd live through the year. Her mother was pointing out a few kids that would be attending Rosser along with Ellie and some women she attended school with.

Are witches that common? thought Ellie, raising an eyebrow. Her bags were being loaded on, and it was minutes away from boarding.

Her mother rested a hand on her should, and their eyes met. "Okay, this is it. I know you'll come to love it. No matter how long it takes? Alright?"

Ellie seriously doubted it, but she nodded and grumbled, "Alright."

They gave their last goodbyes, and Ellie boarded the plane. This was going to be a long ride.



© 2014 Lily Nichols


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on March 11, 2014
Last Updated on March 11, 2014


Author

Lily Nichols
Lily Nichols

Denver, CO



About
I'm Lily, a Coloradoan girl obsessed with Fallout, Tomb Raider, and an extreme amount of books. I'd really like to be an author someday, but I'd rather be a scientist(ethologist) first. Comments on th.. more..

Writing