Measuring Life

Measuring Life

A Story by The Other Name
"

The heart speaks, what the mind cannot comprehend.

"

"Measuring Life"



I was once asked, “How does one measure someone’s life.” By the time they’ve spent on earth? The number of smiles that they have caused? At the time didn’t have a clue, but now I do. Life cannot be measured by the amount of breaths you take or the number of times your heart beats. It is measured in the time spend with someone you love, because that is the only time you are truly alive, and your hearts may beat when they’re apart but they are calling, calling to the world for the one that they love. And all this time I thought that life was there so we could leave our mark on the world, some loud statement to be recalled over time as great. I couldn’t have been more wrong, nor could I have been happier to have been wrong. Because it is not the impression you make on the world but onto another person, not some loud statement but a whisper in their ear. A person who they love, and cannot find the words to describe how they feel, because all of the world can talk, and it never shuts up, life is spent trying to find that moment in your life where you can quite your mind and speak, not with your mouth but with your heart. And I can think of no better moment that I would rather live in. A moment where through not word, but heart, I can tell you "I Love you"

© 2012 The Other Name


Author's Note

The Other Name
I wrote this before I had even experienced love, at the time I had no clue what love felt like. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like it. Love, I think, is easier to explain before experienced. Once you have had love, you become too concerned with using the right words to convey the feeling. Love complicates everything, its certainly not made me a better writer. You should keep writing, you are pretty good, I like the way you expanded the piece, starting simple and building like a snowball down a hill. Keep it up, I dig it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Love is a difficult thing to explain to someone that has not experienced it. And then, once someone has truly experienced it, they need no explanations ever again. To love, and to be loved in return... knowing that you each carry the other with you... words are not necessary.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. Love, I think, is easier to explain before experienced. Once you have had love, you become too concerned with using the right words to convey the feeling. Love complicates everything, its certainly not made me a better writer. You should keep writing, you are pretty good, I like the way you expanded the piece, starting simple and building like a snowball down a hill. Keep it up, I dig it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2012
Last Updated on June 1, 2012

Author

The Other Name
The Other Name

About
I am a young aspiring writer, not fully confident in my ability to produce pieces of literature that truly impresses. I have been given good reviews, by friends and family and I was hoping for the opi.. more..

Writing
The Pen The Pen

A Story by The Other Name