Schizophrenia: A More Common Than You Know Illness

Schizophrenia: A More Common Than You Know Illness

A Story by T.S. Sky
"

This is an article to raise awareness about the invisible disease schizophrenia.

"
Schizophrenia can be a nasty word and if you have dealt with someone who has this disease it can be a very daunting experience. You want them to just come back to reality. You want them to do better for themselves and try to think normal. 
Normal, what is normal. Is normal what the majority of what the fake celebrities and leaders say is normal. Family and friends of people who suffer with this mental illness also live in a 'fantasy' world if they believe this person will behave and think like them one day.
God makes everyone different for a reason. In life you have to accept people for who they are or leave them be. If you are a true family or friend you will not just leave them be because you love them. So you have one option accept them for who they are and guide them so they are safe. 
People who have schizophrenia really believe wrong is right and right is wrong is some cases. Example: A young man with this disease on youtube.com expressed that he robbed people and stole things but he didn't believe it was wrong. He knew what other people thought of it but it wasn't what he thought of it. 
I have experienced schizophrenia in my life because I have it, my uncle had it, and I had neighbors who had it. Each of the neighbors I had the misfortune of meeting where also abusing drugs and their prescription drugs. They were neighborhood troublemakers; they were always getting into fights and confrontations with people. Once people learned of their mental illness in the neighborhood they would ignore them when they tried to start a fight or argument. 
My uncle had it severely plus he had severe retardation. His dad, my grandfather, hit him in the head with a garden hoe when he was a child that made him have retardation. We believe it lead to his schizophrenia as well. He walked up and down the street constantly and he always talked with people who wasn't there. It always seemed like a crowd of people were around him wherever he went.
I also have been diagnosed with this disease but my case is not as severe as most people. I understand the difference between right and wrong but as I got older I made threats and saw things other people didn't see and heard things other people didn't hear.
There are a number of ways to treat this disease but unfortunately no cure from medical doctors but I have a found in a spiritual format. Prayer, mediation and my belief in God has kept me on a peaceful path in my life. 
People who have this disease also suffer from anxiety, depression, bi polar disorder, and psychosis. 
Schizophrenia is simply defined as thoughts and behaviors not in reality. They can lose interests in daily activities and have problems with concentration, focus, and memory.
Treatment for this disease varies but the person can go to individual or group support groups, rehabilitation, cognitive therapy, psycho-education, family therapy and seeing a psychologist is recommended. 
Experiences of people who have this disease can have social isolation, excitability, amnesia, delusions, lack of restraint, hearing voices, self harm, confusion, or belief that an ordinary event has special and personal meaning for them.
Anti psychotic and anti tremor drugs can be prescribed.
Even though this is a disease that requires from the caregivers much patience it is a livable disease. People with this disease need understanding and care. Fortunately for me I have people who encourage me to write and help me to write when I am unable. Writing has been a greatly important outlet for me to express my feelings in a positive way. 

A great website to learn about the history of schizophrenia is 
http://schizophrenia.com/history.htm.

I hope this article gives a motive to learn more about this invisible disease.

Sources: Mayoclinic.com 

© 2016 T.S. Sky


Author's Note

T.S. Sky
This article is also on wikinut.com and hubpages.com.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for sharing this write... People lack awareness of many illnesses. Instead of being compassionate they ridicule the the affected..
Even mentioning their illness becomes a taboo in many societies.. I have seen many guardians neglecting mental illness and making their people suffer rather than providing them treatment or counseling...
I appreciate your effort of spreading the awareness..
Keep sharing.....

Posted 7 Years Ago


T.S. Sky

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Yes I have also seen people neglect the person they are suppose to care for. I wish we al.. read more
Interesting read. Suffering from major depression myself for most of my adult life. Writing has been my salvation. Writing the stories that I have imagined most of my life has given me a distraction that in my opinion has helped me keep my sanity so to speak.

Posted 7 Years Ago


T.S. Sky

7 Years Ago

Thank you. Writing is very therapeutic for all people.
This is a great article. It's nice to see it from the perspective of someone with a less severe case, and really puts you in the shoes of its victims.
If writing here helps you cope with your feelings, than a) I can tell you that it's true for many others as well and b) It's great, since both you and your readers benefit from your beautiful work. Stay strong and keep it up :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


T.S. Sky

7 Years Ago

Thank you! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 20, 2016
Last Updated on December 21, 2016
Tags: Mental Health, Schizophrenia, Mental Illness, Hearing Voices, Hallucinations

Author

T.S. Sky
T.S. Sky

Saint Louis, MO



About
I write mainly in the paranormal/supernatural genre but I do step outside of my box every now and then. Writings you will see from me will be articles, research, short stories, poems, essays, reci.. more..

Writing