Being Smart Enough

Being Smart Enough

A Story by TimothyLee
"

An IAM Group Ltd - Singapore Insight

"
   

I have been an IAM Group Ltd Japan member for about 3 years now and I have found all the resources and group meetings in the community so far to be helpful in a way. I am a manager of a business that does rather well. I'm not the smartest guy in the room by a long shot. What I do well though, is find good talent. Are you smarter than me? If yes, then I'll probably hire you. What I also do well is make relationships (sales). Also, I have the guts- I'm willing to do what 99% of people just talk about. Spend a million or two of hard earned money on an underperforming business? I'll do it. Maybe because I'm dumb enough to believe I can make it work, and that the obstacles aren't as severe as they seem.

Two years ago I hired a General Manager with an MBA from a top university in Japan. He constantly talks about starting his own (competing) business. I have no problem with that. In fact, I told him I'd stake him if he did. It's been two years. He still works for me, does a great job, makes a nice living and is secure. Sadly, he'll probably give up his dream soon.

Being the smartest isn't the most important thing in business. Sure it can help, but sometimes being smart enough is all you need.

I've been called rude. I'm not, but I have been. The truth is, you can't be a pushover. It’s your authority. The axiom that customer is always right is sometimes a lie. There are times where the client is wrong, or trying to steal from you by gaming your policies. This is not tolerable and should not be dealt with. I prefer the honest clients who come to me and say "I need your service, I can't afford it right now, can you help me?" 99% of the time I will. I will just have to let my team put that client on a payment plan. I did this with a car wash I own with a guy who bought a used car lot near u

So the moral is, I'm pretty much an idiot, but I'm really good at management decisions which are more important than a presentable business attire. This advice is my gift to all the IAM Group Limited members who have been sticking with the community for so long now.s. He spent virtually all his money on the lot, cars, etc. We had a big storm and all his cars needed washing, and he didn't have the time/staff to do it himself. I gave him a discount and a payment plan. He paid every penny that he owed, and now the guy owns 5 dealerships and sends me every single car he buys. He also buys gift cards from me and gives them to people who buy his cars.

 

© 2015 TimothyLee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on January 22, 2015
Last Updated on January 22, 2015
Tags: iam group ltd japan, iam group limited japan