Bitter Sweet

Bitter Sweet

A Chapter by TinyWriter

B was pacing back and forth, trying not to lose her patience with the prisoner who was cursing every name under the sun ten times over. "Please let me shut this b***h up!" She shouted to Iris, who didn't seem to thrilled either.

"I don't like having her here either, but if we send her back, she will die."

"Good, one less raider to worry about." B added.

"Just stay outside of the tent B. I'll go talk to her." Iris ordered as she unzipped the opening. Tryston was on watch and felt relieved to see his old friend. "How's she doing?"

"Besides alerting every Z within a mile radius? I'd say pretty good givin the circumstances."

Iris stifled a laugh at his comment before going back to being serious. "Veda, I'm going to remove the blindfold now alright?" She asked the woman who was chained to a chair. There was no response. As soon as she lifted her hand, Veda got a hold of it between her teeth and bit down as hard as she could, breaking the skin in the process. Iris screamed, causing B to run in and pull Iris away before pointing the barrel of her shotgun at Veda's neck.

"One more move like that and I will end your useless life in a heartbeat." She seathed. Pure hatred towards the woman.

"I f*****g dare you." Veda challenged.

"Stop! B put the gun down." She did as asked without hesitation, put her face was red. "Let's try this again." Iris stated, this time keeping away from the woman's mouth while removing the cloth covering her eyes.

She took a look at her surroundings and the first thing she noticed was Iris' bleeding hand. It made her smile a bit. Then she saw Tryston and who she was assuming B standing next to each other. "Where's Finn."

"Eating." Iris stated.

"What? So he gets to be free and I don't?"

"He's under surveillance at all times. He's the one who saved me not the one who watched and waited for me to die."

"Nothing personal." She stated. "I need to see Finn."

"Fine." Iris nodded at Tryston and B to tell them to stay as she left.

"I don't need babysitters." She said coldly.

"Well that's almost all I can take." Tryston said. He had been bullied by her all day. "I'll be outside B." She nodded.

"B huh? That's gotta be short for something. Brea? Bobbi? B***h?"

"Don't start with me." She warned.

"What do you do around here any way? Are you the w***e? Don't worry, you can tell me." B just shook her head. "Why are you even following someone like Iris. She's weak, fragile, and too easy to manipulate."

"Don't talk about her like that!" She shouted while pointing the gun at Veda once again.

"Defensive much? What are you going to do? Kill me?"

B took a couple deep breathes before using her gun like a bat and hitting Veda across the face. Causing blood to scatter the tents floor. Iris walked in soon after with Finn and looked at B with a really face. B just shrugged her shoulders and went back to the other end of the tent.

"Hey Veda."

"Why are you working with these people?"

"These people?" Finn asked surprised. "Veda, these are our friends from before this all started. They aren't just people, they are family."

"You were the only person in this world I could trust, and you betrayed me. You f*****g coward."

"Take it easy there Veda, he was doing what he thought was right."

"Don't even talk about what's right and wrong. My life was so much better when I thought you were dead."

Iris didn't even say a word. Her face was full of hurt, one that even a thousand cuts couldn't beat. She left the tent. "Iris!" B ran out after her. Finn looked at Tryston before leaving himself. Tryston was about to walk out, but turned. "What happened to you Veda?" He asked before zipping the tent back up and standing guard in front.

"Iris." B whispered.

"Don't. I don't want to here anything. I don't need pity."

"I'm never one to give pity Iris, you know that. I just want to make sure your up for the inevitable."

"And what's that?"

"The choice between killing Veda, or letting her go."

"I'll be fine."

"Why are you so torn about this girl?"

"She's not just a random person. She's the girl I told you about. The one we were supposed to meet on the mountain."

"Oh s**t. I thought you said she was dead."

"I thought she was."

B walked up to Iris and noticed the tattoo on her neck and finally knew. "V for Veda. You must have thought she was the one."

"She was."

"You do realize she will never love you again, right?"

Those words hurt her. In more ways than she could explain because it was the truth. All she could do was nod her head to agree. "Do you know where my silence MSR is?"

"In the first tower."

Iris nodded and left to get out some anger.

It had been a week and Veda was no closer to being loose. They kept feeding her and giving her water which surprised her. She thought Iris would want revenge. She was cut out of her thoughts by Iris' voice.

"Can I have everyone's attention!" She waited til her people were front and center. "On our last supply run, we found enough food to last us a couple more months and water even longer thanks to Nick. I know it isn't perfect here, but it is damn near as close as we can get nowadays. As all of you know, I brought back two people from a camp that took me captive. One of them was part of my saving and he has done nothing but prove that he will help in anyway he can around here. I knew him before this all started and trust him with my life. As should all of you. I am ready to make him part of our community if you are. All in favor, raise your hand." Everyone did and that made Iris smile. "Finn, welcome to the group buddy!"

"What about the other one?" Someone asked.

"I'm still working on that, but everything is under control. I promise."

Veda was impressed that Iris had the respect of all the people. Iris walked in with a tray of food and placed it on her lap before unchaining her wrists. "What brings you here? Usually it's someone else."

"I came to show you something. Now eat, you need energy."

Veda shoved down her food and threw the plate to the floor. "Happy?"

"Hardly. Look, I'm going to do something and its because I trust you. I know your not my biggest fan right now, but I need you to trust me too."

Veda was shocked as Iris took the chains off her completely. "Your letting me go?"

"Kind of. Follow me." She said while walking out. Veda did, but slowly, taking in the outside. She noticed that she was outside. The camp was surrounded by large tree trunks that were the size of a two story house. There were guard towers and people patrolling around. Even kids were running around and playing tag.

"Where are you taking me."

"You'll see."

After a few minutes of walking, she was brought to the back of the camp where a section was blocked off by what looked like wet tree trunks. "There are towels at each station. The water isn't hot, but it's comfortable. Try and make it quick."

"You have running water?"

"We got lucky." With that, she walked away.

"I'm glad your back Finn." Iris said as they looked up at the sun setting.

"I'm glad to. What are you going to do with Veda?"

"I'm hoping that she'll join us."

"That's wishful thinking."

"Well, she didn't kill me when I freed her."

"You did what?"

"She needed a shower. She needs to know that I trust her."

"You shouldn't!"

"Why?"

He stood up and ran towards the back where one of the guards was knocked out cold. "She's gone."

"S**t! Will you cover for me?"

"What should I say?"

"I don't know, anything."

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going after her." She said, knowing full well where she was headed.


© 2017 TinyWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on March 16, 2017
Last Updated on March 16, 2017


Author

TinyWriter
TinyWriter

Crestwood, MO



About
Born at a very young age. A caffeine dependent life form that loves to write. I'm a writer of different genres. Nothing is outside my comfort zone, so my stories can go from very heartwarming to gory .. more..

Writing
Savior Savior

A Chapter by TinyWriter