Rumours..

Rumours..

A Poem by Tom
"

Better to await the facts before deciding...

"
A rumour is a social cancer
not the definitive answer
and very difficult to contain

It makes silly asses
of countless masses.
on entering the brain

And what is stranger
adding to the danger
these rumours seem like fun

Hence spreading infection.
of invidious deception
without a smoking gun

If rumour is part truth
only a clever sleuth
can pinpoint its source

Thus it spreads profuse
like Chinese whispers, let loose
mutating, into topical discourse

So don't bite a poisonous apple
or, in idle gossip dabble
for both are subterfuge

Question a rumour's validity
to counter its morbidity
and avoid looking like a stooge

Trust to wise judgement
should a rumour augment
then nip it in the bud

For ignorance is bliss
and what's more, is this
Red not green, the colour of your blood !

© 2016 Tom


Author's Note

Tom
Trust your own ability !

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You've laid out the rhyme scheme beautifully! each stanza holds its own and they've flown together beautifully. Nothing made me pause until the very end, where the last line was a bit longer and had a bit of a different beat to it.

I don't rhyme well, so it is always a pleasure to read poems that have a strong structure.

As for the content I could not agree more. Rumors are essentially the structure of all of us these days. Rumor and reputation. We tend to focus negatively on what we call rumors but there can also be good rumors that we depend on. Especially in school as you'd want kids talking about how cool and awesome you are, weather you've done all of the things they claim you have or not.

Your work has instilled some thought into rumor and for that I thank you!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

And a belated thank you to you for your very articulate review!



Reviews

Ah, you know what they say, "What others say about you is none of your business!" :) It seems the cyber world and the "twitterverse" make rumors spread like wildfire. Best not to repost or repeat things we read and hear unless we know them to be true. Your talent for rhyming and using an extended vocabulary is always impressive, Tom. I enjoyed this one so much. Lydi**


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Wise words indeed Lydia, definitely the genuine article ! Thank you my friend !
Unfortunately, there are people who enjoy tainting the reputation of their fellowmen. Very smart write tom.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you Gabrielle!
Check, recheck, and check again that which presents itself as a "juicy" bit of information as that which is often so appealing is just that - appealing, like Eve being tempted by the serpent. There are those who seem to take delight in gathering at the clothes line fence, or more appropriately at the community keyboard to talk of that which is not - TRUE.

Thank you for reminding us in your words of wisdom presented in correct poetic fashion that we must keep our "tongues" in check, and "cheeks" ready to nip it in the bud!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you kindly Sheila !
this is so smart...gossip starts so easily and that which is tainted with partial truth...can have such a dark hue...

better to hear but not mouth these things.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob for your observations and salient words !
it just doesn't look nice on any one to be bad mouthing other people that can't defend themselves. Not even just bad mouthing other people, but gibber gabbering or blabber mouthing about something that has nothing to do with them whatsoever. Plus, no one likes it done to them, its a karma thing.

treat people how you want to be treated. what a delightful poem about a nasty little habbit.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

You've summed it up perfectly Jesserose & thank you for reviewing my poem ! 😀

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1848 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2016
Last Updated on January 8, 2016

Author

Tom
Tom

United Kingdom



About
Forget me not, poet friends 😍 more..

Writing
Incels .. Incels ..

A Poem by Tom