Rumours..

Rumours..

A Poem by Tom
"

Better to await the facts before deciding...

"
A rumour is a social cancer
not the definitive answer
and very difficult to contain

It makes silly asses
of countless masses.
on entering the brain

And what is stranger
adding to the danger
these rumours seem like fun

Hence spreading infection.
of invidious deception
without a smoking gun

If rumour is part truth
only a clever sleuth
can pinpoint its source

Thus it spreads profuse
like Chinese whispers, let loose
mutating, into topical discourse

So don't bite a poisonous apple
or, in idle gossip dabble
for both are subterfuge

Question a rumour's validity
to counter its morbidity
and avoid looking like a stooge

Trust to wise judgement
should a rumour augment
then nip it in the bud

For ignorance is bliss
and what's more, is this
Red not green, the colour of your blood !

© 2016 Tom


Author's Note

Tom
Trust your own ability !

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You've laid out the rhyme scheme beautifully! each stanza holds its own and they've flown together beautifully. Nothing made me pause until the very end, where the last line was a bit longer and had a bit of a different beat to it.

I don't rhyme well, so it is always a pleasure to read poems that have a strong structure.

As for the content I could not agree more. Rumors are essentially the structure of all of us these days. Rumor and reputation. We tend to focus negatively on what we call rumors but there can also be good rumors that we depend on. Especially in school as you'd want kids talking about how cool and awesome you are, weather you've done all of the things they claim you have or not.

Your work has instilled some thought into rumor and for that I thank you!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

6 Years Ago

And a belated thank you to you for your very articulate review!



Reviews

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln.

Great poem! Tyfs

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you Sir !
Cyprian Van Dyke

8 Years Ago

You're very welcome!
You have an unusual & original style of writing this message, but the message itself is universal & indisputable. Your word choices & rhymes are pretty sophisticated & you've created some interesting analogies. Even tho your message is addressing a serious problem, it has a playful mocking tone. It doesn't really illustrate how deeply hurtful & damaging rumors can be. But that's for a different poem, I guess.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you barley girl !
People who don't gossip are often seen as boring and uncool. Many people do it in peer pressure too. So breaking away from the norm takes effort. Loved the poem, Tom. Brilliantly and wittily written.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Yes, so true and thank for your appreciative words Divya ! ( & well played India, into semi's of T20.. read more
What comes to mind when I read this. The best revenge is living well. Having felt the subject of false rumors during my divorce it was the best plan of action for me.
Great rhyming scheme & easy to follow. This piece grabs the reader! Nice job :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you and glad you can relate !!
Yes, all true! This is so clever. We should not just believe in hearsays. We should have wise judgement because it is always unfair to the people who are keeping their dignity and loyalty only to receive the opposite treatment they should get.
Thank you for another excellent piece, Tom.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

And thank you Dhaye for reading & reviewing in such a positive manner !
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
So much truth .Enjoyed this Tom,flowed beautifully from first to last.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you Gee !
Lovely to read, lovely rhymes, and with a moral too! Think of the damage people do if they start a rumour ... some people are so gullible.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Tom

8 Years Ago

A gracious thank you indeed Great Aunt Astri !
As is oft the case with your words Tom they shout out and otherwise depict universal truths and this, by George is no exception. Another gud un....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thank you Neville !
loveit ..so well said .. and i appreciate the trouble you took in the rhyme scheme ... (to ignorant to know if it is original or other;) but i like the way it works.
i am a retired RN who worked in a PICU .. many strong personalities in intensive care units ... for a long time i the only male ...the core women there when i started called our unit the "Shark Tank" ...and were quite proud of it actually .. took no time at all to understand why it was labeled so ... anyone not present were fair game .. and most always on each shift the frenzy took off with relish ... it was easy to see it coming ..a lull in the business ... a slow gathering ... then the bait and blood .. we had a convenient coffee and break area i learned to retreat to when the gathering first would appear ... so amazing how if present everyone were such buddies ... so i attest to your advice ..just stay out of it no matter how tempting it is :)
love this one!
E.
ps your note is most interesting!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Know exactly where you're coming from E. The bit when everyone's all back together again brought a p.. read more
Einstein Noodle

8 Years Ago

oh yeh!! :} ..............
aaah but what can you do with a rumour if you don't spread it?
nah, I'm just being silly. you know me.
wise words my friend. and in perfect verse.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tom

8 Years Ago

Thanks as always for your welcome and ver own inimitable slant and critique !
Woody

8 Years Ago

I'm always afraid that those I review might not appreciate my humour. I assure you that my sole obj.. read more
Tom

8 Years Ago

And that you do Sir ! 😀

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1852 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 8, 2016
Last Updated on January 8, 2016

Author

Tom
Tom

United Kingdom



About
Forget me not, poet friends 😍 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever Young Forever Young

A Poem by Gee


Twelve Shoes Twelve Shoes

A Poem by Gee