NO BROKEN PROMISE

NO BROKEN PROMISE

A Story by T.Harris
"

Even after being incarcerated a man fights to keep his promise to his daughter.

"


     “You know where you're going?” Lance asked Sheldon as they sped down the foggy highway. The echoes of sirens chased them in the distance as Sheldon peered through his bloody rearview mirror trying to see through the darkness of night. “That was some shot”, Lance bragged. “You put his brains in his lap I couldn't have done it better myself”. Sheldon didn't respond he just shrugged his shoulders like it meant nothing to him.


     “Why so quiet?” Lance asked. He was suspicious of Sheldon and this whole situation. I mean Lance loved the idea of being a free man but why now. After 15 years of serving time for rape and murder why should he be free now, and at the convenience of a man he barely knew. “The sirens stopped”,Sheldon announced breaking Lance's train of thought. “They'll return soon enough we need to dump the rig.” Lance smirked,these were the first words Sheldon said since they escaped. “So he speaks”, Lance joked. “Alright big man what's your plan?” As they came around a big curve Sheldon pointed into the distance. A dim light appeared and grew stronger and turned into a small diner.


   “I know a guy here that owes me a favour”, Sheldon announced. As they pulled into a diner lot Lance felt un eased. “Now wait a minute”, Lance demanded placing his hand on Sheldon's shoulder. “We just can't walk in there wearing orange jumpsuits that read Taylor County.” Sheldon snatched away from Lance and hopped out of the rig. Lance panicked as he watched Sheldon walk towards the diner. He was sure he’d get both of them caught. But still there was something in Sheldon's walk and his approach that made Lance feel like he had everything under control. So without a second thought Lance followed.


    “You sure about this?” Lance asked several times as they entered the diner. There was several rigs parked outside and a few bikes alongside a jeep Sheldon had his eye on. Lance was sure someone would recognize them, but to his surprise the place was empty. “Suge!” Sheldon called out. His deep voice startled Lance who was already on edge. “Who big mouth is that?!” Suge yelled as she came from the back. She screamed when she seen Sheldon.


    Suge hugged and squeezed him like her life depended on it. “Oh I get it”, said Lance with a perverted smile. “This is your broad huh? Smart thinking.” But Lance could tell by the look suge and Sheldon gave him that he was wrong. “What the hell is going on out here ma?” A male voice screamed out as he rushed from out a door that said Men's Room. Lance jumped back and prepared himself for a fight, but Sheldon walked forward and embraced the loud man. “Long time no see”, Sheldon said as he hugged the guy.


  Michael jumped for joy when he seen his friend, but then he glared at  Sheldon’s orange jumpsuit then peeked at Lance and his nappy hair and rugged beard. “Wait, don't tell me”, Michael started to say but Sheldon stopped him. “I need your help Mike it's an emergency.” Michael chuckled. “Emergency huh?” Sheldon nodded without saying a word. His cold eyes staring a hole into Michael. “Alright you got me.” Michael gave in.


  They sat at a small booth far away from any Windows and sent Suge away to fix them breakfast, though that was just a ploy so she wouldn't be involved.  Lance nervously glanced around the restaurant as he sat stationed next to Sheldon. The walls wear a light brown wooden color and the ceiling and floor was a shiney white colored tile you could see your own reflection in. The place reeked of cigarettes and cleaning products but was still better than the funk of prison that Lance was used to for the last fifteen years. “You don't have to explain”, Michael started, seeing how obvious their situation was. “Just tell me what I can do to help”. “Two things”, Sheldon replied. “Dump that rig out there and get us a new ride, and before sun up”. Michael panicked. “That's five hours I'll never get it down by myself in time”. “Fine, you dump the rig and give us your Jeep”. Michael screamed with laughter which almost made the paranoid Lance jump out of his seat. “And if you get caught they'll trace it right back to me”.  “Cut the crap Mike”, Sheldon saw through his bullshit. “We both know the Jeep is stolen anyway. It probably belongs to some old couple in Maine”. “Your wrong”, Michael denied. “It belongs to a dentist in Halifax, but that's besides the point. Where do you two think you're going? The Feds probably have this place surrounded by now”. “You think?” Lance said with a panic as he looked around.

 

     “He ain't too bright is he?” Michael said pointing to Lance. “That's enough out of both of you”, Sheldon demanded. “Do me this one solid favor  Mike that's all I'm asking”. The look in Sheldon's eyes had softened. His voice spoke with warmth and begged with passion. Michael threw his hands up and agreed. “One condition” Michael suddenly added, his face pale as a dead body, his eyes wide and clear but littered with emotion.  “Don't die. You hear me? You got a lot to lose”. Sheldon nodded, but chose to ignore Michael's concern.


    It took them 20 minutes to come up with a plan. Michael fetched Sheldon and Lance some new close, he said he had a few laying around just incase two escaped prisoners showed up, a dry joke that was not appreciated. The clothes were two sizes small but better than a loud orange jumpsuit.  Michael was going to take the rig to a buddy who was going to strip and respray it, then sell it like it was new. Meanwhile Sheldon and Lance were going to take Michael's Jeep liberty to his family cabin a few miles north of the diner. Michael said they could lay low their for a few days but warned them it would be best to keep it moving.


   It was all set but first Lance had to use the restroom, at least he pretended to. He used this chance to eavesdrop and really get the scoop. “But seriously”, Michael whispered, though he was loud enough Lance could hear him. “What's really going on here? Is this guy making you do this?” “Of course not”, Sheldon denied with a tight face. “You know why I have to do this, I gave my word, my word!” It didn't take long for Michael to figure it out. “Are you mad? If you go there you will die. People in your shoes Sheldon they don't survive this. Listen to your friend and stay away from that place, just keep running and never look back”.  Sheldon was surprised to see someone as humorous as Michael be so serious. Sheldon started to truly realize what he’s gotten himself into, but again Sheldon shrugged his friend’s warning off. “You remember the job we pulled a few years ago?” Michael asked. Sheldon nodded yes. “In the cabin there's a safe with about thirty grand in it, take it with you”. Sheldon and his friend shook hands for the very last time then Sheldon stood. “Kiss your mother goodbye for me”, Sheldon said as he walked out the door. Quickly Lance rushed out of the bathroom, smirked at Michael and followed behind sheldon. Michael shook his head knowing this wasn’t going to end well.


     “You sure you know your way up to the cabin?” Lance asked as they hopped into the Jeep. “Of course I do”, Sheldon said as he sped out of the parking lot screeching into the open road. “Suge used to take us up there every summer as children. It's hidden well no one will find us up there”. “And you trust this guy?” Lance asked. Sheldon peered over at him and seen the seriousness in his eyes. On normal circumstances that question would be a lack of respect for Sheldon's judgement, but this wasn't normal circumstances. Sheldon knew the last thing they needed to worry about was a snitch.


  “We can trust him”, Sheldon announced as he sped up the highway. “Back in the day him and Suge used to run credit card scams it's how they bought the diner”. You need something valuable they’ll get it for you no problem, they’re reliable people to have on your side”. Sheldon felt the tension in Lance relax a little, which was good. He didn't  want Lance to get too antsy and get them both caught.


     “The sun's rising”,Lance pointed out nervously. Slowly the sky was turning orange as they made their way up a dirt road surrounded by wooded area. “We're almost there”. Sheldon said as he pulled over. Lance began to panic. “Why are we stopping?” “Relax”, Said Sheldon who was beginning to get annoyed. “The farther we go the road will begin to narrow and our car won't fit. We’ll leave it here and walk the rest of the way, no one will know it's us”. Sheldon was speaking as calm as he could but he was getting tired of Lance's b*****s and moaning. Truth is he would've never brought him if they weren't chained together.


   The walk was about 20 minutes. Both men were shivering from the cold spring air wearing nothing but  t shirts and jeans. Finally they reached the cabin as the sun stood broadly in the sky. As you would expect the cabin was an old wooden mess. The wooden dusty steps creaked as they walked up and approached the front door. With a turn of the knob and a push the old front door opened with a loud creak. “Plush”. Lance said sarcastically as they entered the cold dark cabin that smelled like mothballs and abandonment.


     ‘It's not that bad”, said Sheldon who frowned at the cabin just as much as Lance did. Sheldon forgot to mention no one’s been up there on a regular basis in years, Michael just used the place for storage. “We just need to find the Kerosene for the generator, it's out back give me a second to crank it”. Before Lance could answer Sheldon disappeared into the dark house. “Just great”, Lance thought to himself. He was an escaped convict stuck standing in a dark secluded cabin with a man he barely knew. For all he knew this was a set up. A robbery maybe, or even a cheap trick by the police to see if he would go along with an escape or not. But Lance's better thoughts got the best of him. He realized he has nothing worth stealing and if this was a set up by the police it would've been over by now,so he thought, as he heard footsteps from behind him.


  ‘Sheldon?” Lance called out. “Hello!” An older male voice called out from the porch. “Michael, it's Roger and Dina from up the road. We were just bringing back the weed whacker you lent us a few days ago”. “Damn it!”Lance thought as he peaked out of the curtain covered window of the cabin. An old lady stood a few feet from the house as an old man stood on the porch edging closer holding a weed whacker. “Hey Mike you in there? I seen your jeep down the road”. “Maybe he's out back?” The old lady suggested. “Fine”, the old man agreed. “I'll just sit this inside the house”. Lance quickly ducked hoping the darkness of the cabin would shield him, but as the old man stepped inside they heard a rumble and suddenly the lights were on. Lance and the old man both realized it was the generator immediately. What to do? Lance's brain went blank with only a few seconds before the old man spotted him Lance leaped on top of him and began beating finally snatching the weed whacker and pummeling the old man to death with it.


  Both Sheldon and the old lady heard the commotion but didn't know what to make of it. “Dear are you okay?” The old lady asked edging closer to the cabin. Like a bat out of hell a bloody Lance rushed out of the cabin and to the old lady. Sheldon heard a horrified scream and rushed towards the front of the cabin. It was too late Lance was pummeling the old lady into a pool of her own blood.


   “What the hell are you doing?” Sheldon screamed as he tackled Lance off of her. “They were going to find us out”,Lance claimed. “They?” “The old man's inside”, Lance said standing up. “Is he alive?” “Is she?” Lance replied with a sick smirk. Sheldon's head begin to spin as three homicides now bloodied his hands. “There wasn't suppose to be any more casualties”, Sheldon thought to himself, but the show had to go on. “Stay here”, Sheldon demanded of Lance. “I'm going inside to check if the old man has a set of car keys try not to kill anyone while I'm gone”.


   Inside was a bloody mess waiting for Sheldon. He felt bad for this man and his wife but it was too late to save them now. He reached into the old man's coat that was drenched in blood and snatched his car keys. Sheldon ran to the back where the safe was and wasn’t surprised to find it open Michael never locked anything just incase he had to snatch it and run. Sheldon found a book bag and threw the money inside along with some food to cover it up so Lance couldn’t see it.

     

    “Let's go”. Sheldon said with a hand signal. “Where to?”  Lance asked trying to keep up with Sheldon's pace. Sheldon didn't reply he just kept walking forcing Lance to follow in silence. They made their way to the old couple’s car that was parked behind theirs. “Get in! “Sheldon demanded. “Where are we going?” Lance asked again as Sheldon started the car. “In the back seat is a towel I suggest you wipe the blood off yourself and stop asking questions”, said Sheldon as he threw the bag in the back seat as Lance schemingly watched. Sheldon was fed up with Lance but still didn't know how to dispose of him. They sped down the mountain road and never looked back. Lance pondered their next move but Sheldon knew exactly what was next.


      Hours went by as they rode in silence. “You gonna talk to me or what?” Lance asked. Sheldon glanced at him then shook it off. “Suppose they recognized us and ratted us out”, Lance said defending his actions. Sheldon knew Lance had a point but the Rodgers’s were good people.           “The Rodgers use to take us fishing as kids”, Sheldon said breaking his silence. “In a world of devil's they were good people, but you're right they would've recognized me in a heartbeat”. Lance nodded with a gloat as he spotted deer grazing in the wooded area alongside the road. ‘We're heading to the city”, Sheldon announced. Lance wanted no part of this. “Are you mad? Do you want to go back to prison? Do you know what they do to escaped convicts?” “Relax!” Sheldon yelled. “You trusted me this far you might as well keep doing it”.


    The sounds of sirens interrupted their conversation. A squad car was signaling for them to pull over. “Don't stop!” Yelled Lance who was shitting his pants. “Are you crazy? We're dead men sitting I should've never came here with you”. “Shh!” Sheldon signaled with his finger. “I'm sure by now this car has been reported missing right along with the old couple. Just remain calm. He’s probably on the radio we dispatch right now, but they won't make it here in time to save him”. “What are you planning?” Lance nervously asked as his heart pounded and face dripped sweat.


  Slowly the officer approached the station wagon. “Good day officer”, Sheldon said with a smile. He could tell this guy was a rookie by his baby face and his stutter step. “Gentlemen this car was reported missing an hour ago and is registered under the name Rodgers”. Before the young officer could finish Sheldon blasted him with a glock 9 millimeter through the driver side door then finishing him off outside the car. Sheldon grabbed the officer’s  glock .45 then sped down the highway overlooking the city.


 “You are the man!” Lance was most impressed. Sheldon smirked a little but wiped it off immediately. This killing spree was beginning to annoy him. “If we go down at least we go down with a bang”, Lance said, though Sheldon chose to ignore. “We need money and fast:, said Sheldon who was beginning to merge with traffic. Lance was entertained by the late morning traffic that filled the road. The shadows of the big buildings were like dinosaurs in the museum as Lance studied them from afar. Sheldon was not the small town hick Lance was, he was used to this city and all its pretend jewels that hypnotized tourists. Frankly to Sheldon this whole city antagonized him with everything he could never have.  “It won't take them long to make us, we need to lose the wheels and make a plan, Sheldon said, disturbing Lance’s fun. Lance chuckled and laid back. “Well this is your boat captain, I'm listening”.


   An hour later they pulled up to a pawn shop that sat on a busy main street. “I don't like this”, said Lance as he observed his surroundings. “What's new”, Sheldon thought. “It's simple I've cased this place  a hundred times. There's no security, the cameras are fakes, and the owner is alone and a giant p***y”. On that note Sheldon handed Lance the officer’s .45 caliber and rushed out of the car. Of course like a helpless child Lance followed behind.


  “Stay calm, don't move”. Sheldon announced as him and Lance held their guns to the owner's head as he was sweeping with his back turned to the door. “Please take what you want”. The owner pleaded for his life. “What I want is for you to slowly walk to the back and don't make any sudden moves or I'll blow the shine off your bald head.” Sheldon and Lance already had a plan. Lance would secure the front while Sheldon would force the owner to the back to open the safe.


      “Whatever you want it's yours”. The owner screamed with tears as Sheldon walked him into the back room.  He turned around to see his attacker. “Sheldon?” The owner looked shocked and disgusted. “What the hell are you doing?” “Open the safe Paul, you know what I want.” Paul shook his head. “Your crazy, this will never work”. “Paul do not play with me. I already have four bodies one more won't hurt”.


   Paul slowly turned back around and opened the safe. “Put everything in a bag”, Sheldon demanded. Sheldon already knew the contents of the safe which was expensive jewelry. “Take it and go”, Paul begged. “I'm sorry paul”, said Sheldon though He knew it meant nothing. “Don't apologize to me apologize to them”, said Paul, Sheldon knew who he was referring to. On that note Sheldon grabbed the bag, and pulled out a gold locket necklace and stuffed it in his pocket as he backed out of the room. “Let's go” he signaled to Lance who was more than happy to leave. “So what did we get?” Lance asked as Sheldon drove away. “It's at least 25 g’s in their “, Sheldon answered.


   “So where to? Canada? Mexico?” “The north end” , Sheldon replied. Lance was confused. “What the hell is there?” “The big bucks”, said Sheldon drawing an evil smirk out of Lance, who then screamed they were going to rob this town for everything it's worth. While Lance was gloating Sheldon thought about what Paul said, and he was right, but  it would all be over soon enough.


  “Oh s**t”, Sheldon yelled as two squad cars were behind them. “Don't panic”, Lance surprisingly said. “Their doing the speed limit were doing the speed limit everything's fine”. But Sheldon knew better. “No, their running our plates. It's only a matter of time before they make their move”. Without anymore hesitation Sheldon floored it and the chase was on.

   

   Sirens and high beams filled the morning air, as Sheldon and Lance zoomed through the city trying to shake the cops with every sharp turn. Weaving in and out of traffic they managed to lose the cops in the lower class neighborhood of the city, but could still hear sirens in the distance. Sheldon pulled into an alley where an old Pacer was parked. He grabbed the jewelry and the book bag then got out the car without saying a word to Lance who yet again had to follow behind Sheldon like a little duckling.

   

   “You better have a plan.” Lance demanded. Sheldon looked back at him then snatched the Pacer’s driver side door open. Lance who was getting tired of the silent treatment jumped into the passenger seat. Sheldon hot wired the car in a matter of seconds drawing some kind of appreciation from Lance . “Your a pro at this”, Lance admired. Sheldon shook his head. “This is my car. I use it for special occasions like this”. Lance laughed. “Like I said, you're a pro at this”.


  Sheldon drove to an abandoned rail yard that was rusted and smeared with old age. Sheldon parked the Pacer and got out. By now Lance knew the routine and quickly followed. “My grandfather used to work here years ago”, Sheldon said reminiscing. “When I was a kid he used to bring me here and tell me stories of the good ole days. Hard working men taking care of their own in a country that rewarded hard work not belittled it”.  Lance was unimpressed by it all. “I don't mean to be a bother but shouldn't we get out of here?” Lance said stating the obvious.


   Sheldon turned around and stared at Lance, he had finally had enough of him. The cool spring breeze cut their skin like razor blades of ice. “You can go”,said Sheldon with a cold stare. Lance looked at him like he was speaking another language. “I said you can go, it's best we split up”. Lance laughed the thought off. “I don't think so pal. How do I know you just won't turn yourself in and rat us both out?” Lance was fed up as well, and spoke his mind as the wind whistled a chilling tune. “This whole thing has been very fishy to me. From the second we jumped that guard something felt wrong. I watched you for about a year Sheldon;you were quiet you never stirred up trouble. Then during our transport from community service you hatch a plan to escape. What game are you running?”

   Sheldon nodded at Lance’s words. “The jewelry’s yours”, Sheldon announced getting a rise out of Lance. “Take the jewelry Lance and go your own way”. Lance shook his head and pulled out the glock . 45 and pointed it at Sheldon who didn't look deterred. “25 g’s in jewelry sounds good, but 30 in cash sounds a lot better”, Lance noted. Sheldon smirked  and gave Lance his credit for outwitting him. “You know about the 30 grand?” “Of course”, Lance bragged.

   

   “The money’s in the car with the jewelry”, Sheldon said pointing with his head. Again Lance shook his head. “The gun, give it to me”. Sheldon slowly pulled the gun from his waistband and slid it over to Lance who picked it up and tucked it. “Now what?” Sheldon asked. “You're not the only one that knows how to hotwire a car”, Lance bragged. He backed away from Sheldon gun still pointed at him and jumped in the Pacer. In a few seconds the car started up and Lance was gone with the money and the Jewels. Sheldon waited till Lance was out of sight before he started smiling. Lance played right into his hands. None of this was about money and now that Lance was gone Sheldon could get on with his real objective.


   As night approached Lance was on the chase of his life. He could hear the sirens gaining as he fled down a highway lost to his surroundings.  He smashed the gas pedal and clutched his bag of riches as sweat trickled down his face. The desperation in his eyes matched the roar of the Pacer’s old engine that was  at its max but refused to give up. The sound of sirens grew louder as the sky grew darker. Suddenly Lance slammed on the brakes, and shook his head. A road block of red and blue lights flashed ahead. He looked behind him and more lights flashed  in the distance and getting closer. They called for him to give up, but Lance knew what happens to people who escape prison. Their was only one thing he could do. He slowly opened the Pacer door screaming I surrender. With a quick slight of hand he pulled both guns and started shooting. He was shot down from all directions left in a pool of his own blood.

   

  The cold night air was beginning to bother Sheldon as he shivered through an alley. He snuck through a quiet middle class neighborhood that was riddled with backyards full of dogs that barked at the sight of him. Sheldon paused and hid up against a garage as helicopter lights skimmed the roof tops not too far away. He knew it was almost over for him.

   

   

   Alicia could hear the helicopters circle the sky as she laid in bed. Curiously she got up to see what was going on. She opened her bedroom window and peered out. She saw nothing of interest but the stars above that twinkled like a million diamonds. She sighed as a depressive thought came across her mind. She remembered how her father taught her how to find the Little Dipper and the Big Dipper and Orion’s Belt. She realized how much she missed him as she watched the stars disappear behind a patch of clouds just like he did behind bars.


   Alicia gave up her depressive thoughts of her father as the urge to pee presented itself. In the hall she could hear the television bang from downstairs. Alicia eased down the steps so her mother couldn't hear her stopping halfway down. Her mother was glued to the television as an image of police surrounding a car filled the screen, but Alicia was uninterested.

  

    When Alicia returned to her room her window was shut and her drapes closed. She stood standing their with a confused look on her face. “Did I close it?” She thought to herself as a shadowy figure snuck up behind her. She felt him touch her shoulder and she jumped away and turned around. Her eyes lit up once she saw him.

  

    “Daddy?” She said with glee. Smiling ear to ear Sheldon picked his daughter up and bear hugged. “It's so good to see you sweetie”,Sheldon said as he put his daughter down though she didn't want to let go. Tears flowed down her eyes as she thought she was dreaming. “But you said you weren't coming home for a long time”, She cried. Sheldon wiped her tears then paused as the sound of helicopters passed by. “You  know I couldn't miss your birthday right? Happy belated”. He placed a gold locket necklace around her neck then stood back to admire her. “You're beautiful”, he said with love in his yes. “Is this grandma’s necklace?” Alicia asked. Sheldon nodded yes, “I had this locket added on just for you”.


   “Are you coming to my fifth grade graduation”. She asked with eyes of gold. It was hard for Sheldon to look in those eyes and say anything but yes, but the truth couldn’t be farther from her hopes.  Sheldon’s eyes begin to water though he tried to fight back the tears. “Afraid not kiddo”, he said answering her question. ‘Daddy loves you”, he continued to say. “But I haven't earned the right to be your father. I made a lot of mistakes that I have to pay for, but  I kept my promise didn't I? Remember you asked for grandma’s necklace”. Alicia nodded yes. “You told me to wait until I was older”. “Until you graduate fifth grade”, Sheldon added.

  

   The sound of sirens was more apparent now as Sheldon’s time was drawing near. “I know it's a few months early but I don't have until June”, said Sheldon staring into his daughter’s beautiful eyes remembering her first steps, her first words, she had the same look in her eyes as when she said daddy for the first time. “Why not daddy didn't they let you out?” Sheldon smiled at his daughter’s naiveness. Sheldon could feel a presence behind him and when he turned he saw his wife arms folded leaned against the wall in the doorway. He turned and smiled at her but she didn't return one. Her eyes red, her face pale she wasn’t as naive as her daughter.

   “Hey April”, Sheldon said standing up.  April looked him up and down with disgust  before speaking. “Paul called”, she said in a cracked tone. “He says he’s not pressing charges”. Sheldon nodded and looked at the necklace he gave his daughter then back at his wife. “The police should have the rest of the jewelry by now”. “You think that makes everything better?” April said not pleased with her  husband. The howling of sirens grew closer and closer.

   

   “I know you're angry”, Sheldon said trying to be empathetic, but his wife denied his gesture. “You have no idea what you put us through”. April spoke with sharpness in her voice, you could hear her pain like a ballad of emotion being sung by a broken heart. “When our daughter was born I begged you to leave that life behind, but you were more concerned with buying us jewelry and living lavish in middle class neighborhoods. I never asked for any of that Sheldon”. Tears flowed down April’s face as sirens screamed louder and helicopters circled above.


   “I'm sorry”, Sheldon pleaded. His eyes gleaming with sincerity. April shook her head. She was tired of his apologies. “25 years”, she stated. “That's how much your family means to you”. The sound of sirens was so loud alicia covered her ears as the police positioned themselves outside. You could see the flash of the lights through the drapes as they shook from the helicopters that were stationed right above the house. Realizing this Sheldon wiped his face that was trenched with tears and smiled. “To me 25 years is a lifetime”, Sheldon claimed. “You told me yourself by the time I got out you would've moved on, Alicia would be married with children, and I would be a shell of a man trying to reclaim his glory days. I had to act now. I made my daughter a promise and I kept it. What's another 25 years huh? Seeing My daughter again was worth four life times. This is it”, Sheldon admitted with a pitiful face. “If my life is over I just wanted to see my daughter one more time. April shook her head and walked away. Sheldon hugged his daughter one more time as a loud bang came from downstairs. He looked her in the eyes and told her to take care of her mother. He could hear the ruckus downstairs, the army of boots stomping through the house. Alicia squeezed her father tight as she saw the shadows approaching on the hallway wall.

 

   The whole neighborhood was outside as police forced everyone to back up to a safe distance. Sheldon exited the house in handcuffs with his head low. The crowd whispered as they caught sight of a man that they once called neighbor now an escaped convict. As Sheldon sat in the back of the cruiser April and Alicia stood on the porch to see him off. Sheldon smiled at his daughter and she smiled back as the cruiser drove off into the night. Alicia never saw her father again. The only image of him she had left was the picture of the two of them together inside the locket he left for her.







© 2019 T.Harris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on January 12, 2019
Last Updated on January 13, 2019
Tags: Drama, thriller

Author

T.Harris
T.Harris

Detroit , MI



About
Musician/ writer/ blogger/ Youtuber/ All around creator Gaming channel: Lano Gaming Instagram: Lano_ The_ Gamer more..

Writing
THE SHIELD THE SHIELD

A Chapter by T.Harris