Dissonance: intro verse

Dissonance: intro verse

A Chapter by Toussaint

A mysterious and strange malady arrives on the island of Abida, which resides off the coast of the American New England region. Being somewhat isolated from the mainland, most political matters are handled locally between it's people. The reasons for this are due to the island's history. The people of Abida are the final result of successful human amalgamation between slave and owner. Many islanders still hold on to a mix of their eccentric ancestral beliefs that revolve around "the old ways". This causes many to rarely visit or leave the island and as a consequence. Abida is flung into a realm of enigma lying beyond the fringes of most New Englander's conscience. Without the aid of the mainland, however, the disease, locally referred to as "the scourge" begins taking large sections of the population. The virus is transmitted unwittingly and causes one to exude a thick, viscous puss from all orifices. Left untreated the puss will eventually fill the lungs and cause death by asphyxiation. Another related strain of the scourge is slower to claim it's victims, however, it is just as abominable. Once the individual is infected the brain will begin to swell, causing the victim to suffer psychosis, fever, hallucinations, and finally death. Soon only a small number of citizens still continued to claim their residency on the island. Around eight hundred. The Church; the smallest local mediator group, composed by and of the populations most affluent citizens, used its monetary power to develop a homeopathic cure that only ended with even more souls of islanders being handed to the abyss. Around this time another cataclysmic event had ensued, an enormous hurricane that appeared in the midst of August. The storm, annihilated the shore and tore through fortified structures as effortlessly as dashing a line though a name. After several days the storm had finally regressed back into the ocean, returning to the depths of Hades from which it had emerged, leaving the island's infrastructure, geography, and ecosystem, further disfigured and crippled. The anomaly had been picked up by meteorologist; they too just as perplexed by the magnitude of the cyclone wind. The central government decides to recruit the help of a small independent cartography service, who decide themselves to send in one of their newer servayors; Fynn Williams, a young Pennsylvania born man, picked do to the rumors of pestilence and his seniority in the organization, is sent to the island of Abida to collect information pertaining to the islands newly altered geography. Traveling by train, then by sea fairer, Fynn cannot help but to notice as he steadily encroaches his destination the more it seems he is becoming a foreigner within his own country. Just how strange is the situation truly and what ghastly revelations await our hero? Find out in Dissonance: Blood Thrine.


© 2015 Toussaint


Author's Note

Toussaint
This is the intro/plot summary typically found on the back. I decided, however, to make it page one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on October 15, 2015
Last Updated on October 15, 2015


Author

Toussaint
Toussaint

NC



About
Ray a.k.a. Woods a.k.a Toussaint is an American writer who currently resides in his home state of NC. more..

Writing