The Life of a Packer Fan

The Life of a Packer Fan

A Story by Trent Keitel
"

Being a Green Bay Packers fan is the best.

"
The Life of a Packer Fan

By Trent Keitel


The rich history of the Green Bay Packers compares to few, with the likes of Vince Lombardi leading the way you wouldn’t expect anything less. The franchise has produced multiple hall of famers, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, and Reggie White to name a few. In addition the Packers have a world record 13 championships, with four of those being Superbowls. 

When Sunday roles around in Wisconsin, there is only one thing on peoples’ minds and that is the Green Bay Packers. First things first, Lambeau Field is one of the most historic venues in all of sports and the atmosphere around Green Bay on game day is like no other. Fans arrive hours before kickoff to park on the lawns of locals who live in the surrounding areas and tailgate. Gas grills are pulled out and brats begin to cook and beers begin to flow.

Once the 70,000 plus fans fill the stadium and the Packers run out of the tunnel, there is a whirlwind of emotions that happen. Packer Nation is one big family, everybody loves everybody. When touchdowns are scored it is a scramble to see who will earn the ultimate fan experience of having a player jump up into your arms for a Lambeau Leap and when an exciting play occurs and beer rains down as if from the heavens and you get showered with it from 5 rows back. Nothing beats it.

The nickname for Lambeau Field, the Frozen Tundra, provides an accurate depiction of many games played in the harsh winters of northern Wisconsin. My great uncle attended the Ice Bowl in 1967 and has told me many times that he had icicles hanging from his beard during the game, where it was negative 15 degrees with wind chills nearing negative 40.

When I was 11, I went to a crucial game that would have playoff implications for the Packers in the 2003 season. The Packers had to win and the Vikings had to lose. The Packers did their part and took care of the Broncos 31-3 at Lambeau. The Vikings were down in Arizona playing the Cardinals. Cheesehead country became more interested in cheering on the Cardinals and I distinctly remember chanting “Go Cards Go” with the rest of the Packer fans. When news broke out that the Cardinals won on a last second play, all heck broke lose at Lambeau, beers went flying, hugs and high fives all 
around, and smiles upon smiles. It was the greatest feeling in the world.

As a Packer fan you are always on the edge of your seat knowing the next great moment is just around corner.

© 2015 Trent Keitel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on March 23, 2015
Last Updated on March 23, 2015

Author

Trent Keitel
Trent Keitel

Sheboygan, WI



About
Communications Major with an emphasis in Journalism at Marian University (WI). Looking to become a sports writer. Always looking for advice to become a better writer. more..

Writing